Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick James Dead

wraub

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just heard- he was a funk pioneer and a bassist as well, had a troublesome life, i pray he has found peace. God bless his soul-

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by mattulator:

A shame to be sure - only in his 50's I think.

56. too soon. he was recording a new album from what i hear. what a shame. wonder what dave chapelle will have to say.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

He was a few months older than I am.

His untimely death happened just as his friend Teena Marie was making a comeback and his music was being reissued on cd.

I loved Rick James' music. But fortunately I did not emulate his lifestyle.

Getz76 recently saw me playing and singing,

"Give it to me"

And back in the day I used to sing "You and I" and "Superfreak" as well.

Rest in Peace, Rick.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005O6HV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Forgot about that Chapelle thing for a minute there . . .

I wonder what Hammer will say nnnggyow.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It's too bad. He had some good lines in his day. It is just to bad he was doing so many his crossed all the lines in his lifestyle. :( It would have been good to hear the stuff he was just working on. Maybe we will. I feel for his family. :cry:

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by Scoot:

Cocaine's a helluva drug

Just ask The Ox.

Sad that a lot of musicians get sucked into using drugs. Andrew Wood started doing heroin when Mother Love Bone got their record deal because he thought that's what rock stars did. Now he's very dead and we got Pearl Jam and the Temple of the Dog album out of it.

Rick James was certainly a bad ass. His groovetastic funkatude will be missed.

Cocaine.... what can i say? i had my bout with that drug form '81 to '85-

haven't touched it in ages.. it is the devil's drug... i cannot even begin to tell how dark my life was while i was addicted to coke...

anyone out there considering trying it.... DON'T !!!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

i just remembered a rick james anecdote...

in the early/mid 90's i was going to school in buffalo. rick james lived in a suburb (lockawanna, tonawanna, one of the wannas) up there. i was working with an on-campus sound and stage company then and we had a 70's party. we hired a disco dj and had a costume contest: best costume (read: chick wearing the least clothes) won 25% of the gate. rick james actually loaned us some of his stage props which he had lying around in his garage for the party. they were these 2 HUGE blue scrims stapled over boxes. they lit up to say "funk" on one and "band" on the other. it was pretty slick to see that on either side of this dj. we were able to rig them up to a light board and control them.

in the depths of his behind the "behind the music" price-of-fame moments he was actually a really nice, approachable, responsible guy. we called his house, he answered the phone and was more than happy to help. he even drove the scrims down himself and picked them up the next day. definitely a great experience for me.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• 1 month later...

And the latest from CNN is here .

But the conclusions is, "'None of the drugs or drug combinations were found to be at levels that were life-threatening in and of themselves,' the report said. It gave the cause of death as a heart attack and ruled the death accidental."

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

But the conclusions is, "'None of the drugs or drug combinations were found to be at levels that were life-threatening in and of themselves,' the report said. It gave the cause of death as a heart attack and ruled the death accidental."

An "accidental heart attack"? I need to read that article. Sometimes it takes years of therapy and good lifestyle choices to recover from substance abuse.

I have this great mental picture of RJ making the funk happen in Paradise. Along with that beautiful white Rick matching his wings.

:wave:

Originally posted by Matt W:

An "accidental heart attack"? I read something more in that article. Sometimes it takes years of therapy and good lifestyle choices to recover from substance abuse.

Nevertheless, I have this great mental picture of RJ making the funk happen in Paradise, passing out charts to all those trumpet players up there. Conducting the shebang with that beautiful white Rick matching his wings and new outfit. You still got da funk!

:wave:

I'm sure when they were doing the quadruple bypass on Bill they didn't necessarily find fatal levels of Quater Pounders with Cheese, either.

As was above, it takes a long time of healthy living to recover from addiction. A decision that has to be made every day.

Ah, but I sound like I am lecturing now ... just a damned shame the good and the talented check out so early due to such crap.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived