Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Never Play Another Club Gig Again

Edendude

If I had my way, I think I'd never play another club gig again...

We played another private party gig yesterday, in a lawyer's back garden. Lot's of great looking ladies, a big spread of catered food, free beer, and $150 per man to play what WE wanted to play.

And this private party thing seems to be a great way to network and get booked for other gigs. Even after playing just one song as a sound check, before the party officially started, we had a booking for another private party.

It just doesn't get much better than that.

:thu:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. We've played a couple of private parties now, and what a change it is. Fresh air (although it's been crazy hot at both of them), appreciative audience, good money, and free food. Cops called a total of five times between the two of them. I am all about the private parties.

Those are great gigs. My old band played a few things like that and a few "corporate" type gigs. I loved them. No smoke, no drunks - well a couple, good pay, good food, and some lookers. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

Cops called a total of five times between the two of them.

Just make sure you stay clear of the pokey, T-Dub. :eek:;):D

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

So far so good. I'm happy as long as they're getting called for the volume and not for the quality of the music.

Here's the icing on the cake for us...

The other booking we got from a couple who were guests at yesterday's gig, is for a private party of female employees of a local beauty spa!

And again it's $150 per man with all you can eat and drink.

Someone pinch me so I know I'm not dreamin', please!!!

:thu:

My first and only gig outside of a church setting was a private party for this group at harvard. They wanted live music for this ceremony they were having.

It was great. Very laid back. All we did was play whatever we wanted to. We got to eat all the food and we got paid $150 a person for a one hour set.

Those may come around more for me next term. I'm pretty good friends with a keyboard player at berklee...i've played with him on three occasions. Unlike most bass players who can do A WHOLE LOT, but resist the urge to leave the pocket..i can't do that much so, i just maintain the groove and try to use a new lick at the end of a song or something like that. Hopefully as i get better, the humble attitude will stick and gigs like this will help defer the cost of books, food, GAS...etc etc.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Clubs-- who needs 'em? I play in the occasional nite club but very rarely anymore. Just enough to get dirty, smoky and covered in other bar funk. It keeps me from getting too prissy. Otherwise, I'm doing corp parties, weddings, etc. where the money is sooooo much better.

The collective of musicians I work with flow freely between the tuxedo band and the "bar" band which is mostly blues. The tux band plays from charts and will cater to the client.

I remember when I was younger and trying to be a rock star, I would pity those poor hacks in the tux bands having to play all that stupid old music. I've been with my tux band for about 15 years now and guess what? You have to be a real musician! Now I feel sorry for all those poor bar bands.

Last weekend, I hosted our annual block party and had the band come out. We did this one for food and had a great time. The cops showed up twice and shut us down 15 minutes before we planned to quit. Not bad.

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

My cover band has decided to play one club gig a month and NO MORE. We also won't do 2 nighters anymore. To much like work come Saturday.

We love private parties and especially WEDDINGS!!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

What's so great about weddings? They seem to be highly sought after. My guess is higher compensation

jason <--i typed "jasom" like 4 times...it was the most insane thing that i've ever seen myself do.

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Sex > Self-promoted, profitable one-act concerts with all your raving fans cheering for you > Weddings > Corporates/Privates > Paid Festivals/Fairs > Clubs > Unpaid Festivals > Talent Shows >>>>>> Battle of the Bands

I put weddings above corporates because usually at a wedding, everyone is there to have fun already, so there's more energy in the crowd and you can feed that and feed off of it. Some corporates can be that way, but none of the ones I've played yet.

Originally posted by TuckLM:

I remember when I was younger and trying to be a rock star, I would pity those poor hacks in the tux bands having to play all that stupid old music.

Hey Tuck,

I'm 23, have never worn a tux and would LOVE to get into a band like that one, really. But I know what you mean, most of my peers have a similar attitude. Then again, they're all guitar players :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

A bassist gigging in a tux congers up the image of Donald "Duck" Dunn playing in the seminal lounge band "Murf and the Magic tones" (in the "Blues Brothers" movie)!

Far better band then that "other" band he played in in that movie--the one fronted by those two dudes dressed in black..

(Don't flame me--I am just kidding!) :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Maybe it's because I'm single, but I still LOVE playing the club gigs (even at ripe old 38). I think my band mates and I have at least as much fun as anyone else there, and I can't complain about the $$ these days - much better than I remember in the 80's. Plus there is that added benefit that many single 38 year-olds would kill for - the ability to walk into a bar loaded with beautiful young women and be the center of attention. All in all - no complaints from me.

Eddie:

Why are you hanging with guitar players? Didn't your parents warn you about those guys? Didn't you know that the little wires that cut into their fingertips poisons their blood and makes them sociopathic? The wrapping on big bass strings keep us from this unfortunate fate. Didn't your mother tell you that guitar players were not breast fed so they can't have normal social relationships with people? Didn't your teacher tell you that the high piercing notes they play destroys brain cells leaving them craving more volume and a need to play loudly in a futile attempt to "get my tone?"

Any LDer will tell you this is all true. Eddie, I'm concerned about you. You're young and you can still be saved. Didn't anyone tell you that bass players that hang around with guitar players too much become guitar wannabe's? They betray their beloved bass by playing too many notes sacrificing Our Most Precious Groove.

Repent, Eddie! Repent! Return to the Lowdown where the groove is tight and smokin'. Your brethren will not turn you away as long as you don't carry the foul stench of a Stratocaster. Baptise yourself! Bath the foulness from yourself, and unlike a guitar player, use soap.

Just a few observations...don't get me started on drummers.

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

private parties are the shzznt. even if you don't get paid for them you definitely have more fun. you don't have to hustle your gear out so you can actually relax and let people tell you how much you rock after your set. that and no worries about a revolving door crowd.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I love playing private parties... but also enjoy the bars and clubs.....different budgets and different hours but still a good workout....

we use many of the bar/club gigs to work out new stuff to play at the privates...... we usually stick these songs into the last set when everybody is nice and toasted and wont notice if the song turns into a train wreck....

Bars and clubs are also great places to audition for the private shows.

My favorite thing about playing the private gigs is loading in thru the kitchen.....

www.danielprine.com

Private parties, wedding receptions, etc. (we used to call these gigs "casuals")are definately where it's at, for all the reasons stated above. I have played in many bars in my time and we always made crap money. Playing 'casuals' always paid well by comparison. In one of my bands we got into the fraternity/sorority(SP?) scene for a while, that was great money! That is were we first heard of something called an "entertainment budget" and what a truly wonderful thing it was to play for people that had one! :D

Just played my first gig in 11 years last saturday. It was a backyard party, very laid back. We got paid in food and booze. Everyone was very complimentary (despite the couple of trainwrecks :rolleyes: ) and there may be some follow-on gigs out of it. I'll find out at this weekends rehearsal. To top it off I took my eldest daughter, was the first time she's seen her dad actually on "stage" layin' down the groove. :cool:

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Why I like playing weddings:

We usually get as a band $2000 for these.

The people are there in a good mood and to have a good time and they will do that whether there is a band or not. And if there is a good band, they will go wild....but only for about an hour and half and then they will go home. And if they want overtime they will pay you for it.

We usually get fed and given wine.

There are usually lots of speeches, things start late, bouquets are thrown, cakes are cut....lots of things happen which we call "random lag time".

That means on a four hour gig we often only play for two and half hours.

Getting to play a huge variety of music, never the same set list twice.

Complete control of our sound, we bring all the gear and run it ourselves. If we don't like the mix, we only have ourselves to blame.

What I don't like about playing weddings.

Crazed, demanding brides.

Old people complaining, "it's too loud", while you have the entire dance floor full.

Rooms that are not designed for music with no stages, terrible acoustics.

Playing songs I don't care for.

But on the other hand, playing in a club has exactly the same downsides without the upsides.

(just substitute crazed, demanding club owners for the brides)

Originally posted by TuckLM:

Eddie: Why are you hanging with guitar players?

Because, frankly, I don't know that much bass players :(

Didn't your parents warn you about those guys?
Actually, with all else you said in that paragraph, I am SERIOUSLY wondering if you have been talking to my father (a singer who has, over the years, come to dislike guitarists as much as he does drummers :D )

Any LDer will tell you this is all true. Eddie, I'm concerned about you. You're young and you can still be saved.
I always feel like / somebody's watching me :D Good to know someone cares though :D

Didn't anyone tell you that bass players that hang around with guitar players too much become guitar wannabe's? They betray their beloved bass by playing too many notes sacrificing Our Most Precious Groove.
OH NO !!!! Not me, man !! I'm really, really, really hunting for that groove, and when it comes to bass I do believe that "less is more" (if only I could get my girlfriend to agree :D ) Hell two weeks ago one of our guitarists asked me if I could "play that note really fast three times in a run" but I told him that it sounds better if I let it ring, cos then it has more swing. It being his song and a trashy metalpiece at that, he gave me some odd looks :D

Repent, Eddie! Repent! Return to the Lowdown where the groove is tight and smokin'. Your brethren will not turn you away as long as you don't carry the foul stench of a Stratocaster. Baptise yourself! Bath the foulness from yourself, and unlike a guitar player, use soap.
One question I just have to ask though: what is this "bathing" thing people keep telling me about? :D

BTW, and to save at least a wee bit of my tainted reputation : the guitar player of my previous band used to toy around on my bass in between songs, and apparently he liked it SO much that he went out and bought himself a Warwick Thumb bass. Then, when I bought my current Ibanez BTB 5 string, he went out and got a 6 string. Now I'm not gonna get me a 7 :D but still I feel good about having "converted" a guitarist !!!!!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Why I like playing weddings:

We usually get as a band $2000 for these.

Say what?!?!?! I used to work videotaping weddings, and I spoke with a lot of people about what the band was making, etc. It's routine in the NYC area for a wedding band to make around $10K for a party. I've also heard some that get as much as $18K per party. However, the market seems to be somewhat cornered in this area by orchestra companies, so you have to deal with the booker taking X percentage of the overall take. Plus, some of these bands can range up to 11 or 12 pieces. I guess things are different outside of NY, huh?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The prices have to do with the size of the band, the size of the party, and who the agency is.

I've played plenty of gigs where that amount of money was charged. And most of it went to the agency and bandleader (which are sometimes the same person).

The amount I listed was for a five piece band after agent's fees.

I don't think the amount that each musician is ending up with is really going to be that different.

Bands with a "name" get more, but as a sideman I rarely know what the total is.

Lots of people answering this thread have said that they got $150. Now that's criminal.

Archived