Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Affordable bass recommendations

mjmclane

I need to pick up an inexpensive bass to have in my home studio. I'm leaning toward a MIM Jazz Bass, but would be open to other suggestions. I got a MIM Strat and swapped out the pups and bridge and its a great little axe. I was hoping to the same with the J bass. Also, suggestions for replacement pups would be welcomed. I'm involved mostly with classic rock, R&B, blues, maybe a little funk (slap).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there have been a TON of threads on affordable basses, i recommend a search.

check out olp basses, really cheap, really high quality. they make stingray and spector copies depending on your flavor.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

If you do decide to get a MIM Jazz, try to get the Deluxe, which has the active pre. It eliminates the hum associated with mixing the pickups unevenly. It's been quite nice in my home studio.

"For instance" is not proof.

I say go for the MIM Jazz or P bass. It may not be someone's "Dream Machine" but it will give you rock solid versitility for your situation and the sound you have come to know as BASS.

Even though I have had many basses, some worth quite a bit more, nothing compares to my MIM P bass. It has been my baby for many years without a single problem or complaint.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

i've had a MIM bass for 6 years. put emg's in it. i absolutely love it. of course buying it new with tax, it was still a hundred bucks cheaper than the muscian's friend price is now. still a great bargain though
Insert inaccurate quote here

I agree with all the posts recommending either a Jazz or P Bass. I own two MIM Jazz basses and I love them. They sounds great, play smooth, and don't cost a ton of $$$. If anything, the hum from the jazz bass may annoy you in the studio..but otherwise you'll be happy.
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

The MIM will be fine. But there are many fish in the sea.

I like the Godin Freeway. It's inexpensive, but doesn't perform like it, imo. Well built, very playable, with one P pickup (neck) & one J pickup (bridge), so it's versatile as well. It's passive. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

I'm also a big Yamaha fan. E.g. my 5-string bass is a Yamaha BB605, active with a very nice preamp, & I got it off eBay for $350 + shipping. They're only about $500 new from an online retailer. And of course 4-string versions are available too. These are sleepers!

If you're set on getting a Fender, I'd look at the MIJ line. Very well priced, and comparable quality to the MIA. I have a MIJ "Geddy Lee" Jazz Bass, and it records beautifully. It was a bit under $550 new, iirc ($630 online).

There are unbelievably good values for the money in this price range these days. So that's good news.

Schecter offers a great deal of bass for the buck. If I could convcince my Wife, and could dig up some bread I'd get the California Special Jazz (about $500, active pre-amp, flame maple top).

My best friend is a Schecter rep, so my opinion may be biased.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

To further beat the dead horse:

MIM Jazz bass. Can't go wrong. Play as many of them as you can before you buy one. I've played some MIM instruments that actually play and sound as nice as their American made counterparts; and at a mere fraction of the cost. Happy hunting.

I have a MIM Fender Active Jazz Deluxe 5-String and an OLP MM3 5-string. I love them both. The Fender is a better bass with the active electronics. But it is heavy! The OLP is more playable. I am truly amazed at the quality of the OLP bases for the money. I got mine as a scratch and dent special throught the MusiciansFriend.com web site for only $149 plus S&H! That was an amazing value and it had not scratches or dents :D I think they just wanted to unload some of older models that had the black pickguards so that they could go into production with the t'shell pickguards.

Here is a link to a OLP chat group on Yahoo

Click Here!

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Archived