Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BASS EQ

KAi

Hi this is my first post I was just wondering how other bass players set up their eq, I just got myself a rack eq to go with my Hughes and Kettner combo , I love the boost it gives but am really trying to find the sweet spot that so many players talk about when they are e-q'ing. Can someone here give me some advice as to which frequencies provide those fat warm tones or thin mids etc. Thanks :thu:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the sound you are after. With my power-pop / punk band I boost the low mids to cut through better, but in other situations I'll cut the high mids, and boost the bass a little more. Sometimes I'll leave the eq flat.

What are you going for?

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

well I'm trying to use the e-q to get a more versitile sound from my jazz bass , The hughes and kettner is a valve amp so I've got a fairly warm sound and I was wondering how I could get more a harsher , modern sound. So in reply I guess a fatter, more aggresive sound. I also use a Sans-Amp bass DI and that has a few settings that come close but it sounds too muddy and I was hoping that the eq could clean up those "grey" areas . Maybe its just a matter of trial and error just checking every band until I get used to it ?

OK...I also play a jazz bass so I may be able to help you out. I use a Hartke 5000 head so the 10 band EQ gives me a lot to work with. The slider farthest to the left is boosted SLIGHTLY to give me some bottom end thump. The rest of the sliders form, more or less, a frown with the peak being in the low mids. If you want that aggressive, metal sound from your amp (since it is all tube) you might wanna give your highs a bit of a boost so you can get that more percussive attack when you hit the strings hard. The tone knob on my jazz bass is set around the middle and both volumes are cranked. I also mix in a SMALL amount of overdrive from my MXR M-80 Bass DI (equivalent to your SansAmp) to give my sound a little more bite. This gives me a sound very close to Tool's Justin Chancellor. Use a bit of flange with this sound and you'll soil your shorts.
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

I forgot to mention in my last post...since you have a rack EQ that I am assuming is loaded with sliders, play with each one individually with all the rest of them flat. Try to find the ones that manipulate the frequencies that will give you the tone you want. Believe me...as you play with each one you will know which ones work for you and which ones don't. Depending on how broad a range your EQ covers, it may take a bit of experimentation to find that "sweet spot," but once you do then you will be more than happy.
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

Archived