Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DI boxes

Hey again folks,

A bit of a querey about D.I boxes, What are a good indicator of quality? How important is it to have a really good one? What is it that they actually do? I mean I know they get signal into the system so that you can be heard through front of house, but I'm sure thats not all they do I havn't had to use them a lot but this new band I'm in seem to be playing bigger gigs than my gear can accomodate for.

Godbless

James

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not bringing your own P.A., the house sound guy will probably supply the D.I.

And 99.9% of the time it will be a Countryman.

And the same will be true in the studio.

That's good enough for me. If I was going to buy a direct box, that's what I would buy.

I don't need one, because my SWR amps have built in direct outs which seem to please all the soundmen at the places where I play.

There are all kinds of products out there, many of them great. The Countryman does not give you a variety of tones or adjustments. It just gives you the sound of your bass, period.

Once again, that's enough for me.

What is it that they actually do? There are two schools of thought on this. One is they should give you exactly what you put into them. If that's what you need, get a Countryman DI and forget about the rest. The other is that they should allow you the flexibility to change your sound on the fly, much like tone controls, preamps and EQs.

The quality issue is best answered this way: if the majority of musicians you poll use one, and if it is unlikely to break down with normal use over a 10-year period, that's quality to me. Spending twice as much for a "quality" piece of gear is subjective to what you're looking for. If you must have sirloin or filet for dinner every night, fine, but if you can get along with burgers or Philly cheese steaks, that's fine too.

How important is it to have a really good one? If you don't, you sound will suffer, as well as your reputation. A lot of times I seem to run into the 00.01% of soundmen and studio enginners who use something else (cheaper) which tends NOT to give me the sound I want. I carry around a SansAmp DI, but in a few months, budget allowing, I'll also carry around a Countryman DI.

Having said that, I confess that the overwhelming majority of soundmen and engineers I've spoken too are well-acquainted with the challenge of producing good, loud, tight and focused bass response. But you have to talk to them. Best to check your sound from the audience pit rather than on the stage, which is why most of us own either a wireless or a 50-foot instrument cable. Judging your sound from the stage is a mistake too many musicians (usually guitarists) tend to make; it's the audience you're playing for that matters.

Finnaly, you should own your own DI box; in fact, don't rely on someone else to supply you with a piece of gear that may or may not malfunction. It's your sound, not the enginner's, so you're responsible for maintaining the equipment that makes that sound.

:wave:

The Countryman is certainly tried and true. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat after using it on numerous sessions. A lot of guys swear by the SansAmp DI's, but IMO, I think they do a little more than a regular DI. I like to keep some things simple, and if you're just going for the clean sound of the instrument, the Countryman is a great choice.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I am using an Avalon U5. It differs a bit from many DI's as it is also a preamp. It has "tone" and "volume" knobs. I run straight from it to my poweramp and then my cab. I like it. If I need a DI to a house system, I have that as well.

I also use a SansAmp when I want a sound that isn't so clean. I like that very much, but it doesn't give as "hot" a signal to the power amp as the Avalon.

The combination of the two boxes gives me a wide variety of tones, and is still fairly light, modular and portable.

I have to agree with JeremyC on this one. I wouldn't even bother buying a DI box. Any gig that I have played, the soundguy has provided his own. He knows his gear like the back of his own hand(or she should anyway) and he will want to use what he is famaliar with. Same in the studio. They should have their own. And forget the Avalon U5. Only a select few of the people here have the cash to buy one of those units.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this one up. I've been more recording than usual recently, and I'm thinking of investing in my own DI box.

I've used the Countryman to successfully on numerous occassions. However, I've run across a couple of studios that don't have them as stock equipment. Price on the Countryman is a little over $150.

While at the local music store inquiring about one, the salesman brought up the Avalon U5 to me. He went through the spiel about the various features. He also went so far as to tell me that he had done a DI shootout with a number of DI boxes. He thought that the Countryman was very well adequate, but thought that the Avalon U5 was a better unit. The Avalon sells for over $550.

I'd like to hear from people who have used both units. Do you think the Avalon is that much better than the Countryman from a value standpoint as well as from a sonic standpoint? Fire away.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I haven't used a Countryman DI.

I do use an Avalon U5 as my main preamp and DI. I play mostly "clean" gigs - jazz, big band, coffee house/singer/songwriter, that kind of thing. I and many others think it sounds fantastic.

I also use a SansAmp BDDI as my other preamp/DI for when I want a more "SVT" type of tone that the Avalon doesn't have. Also very nice. I can get my SABDDI to sound close to the Avalon, but really, there is no comparison. The Avalon makes just about anything you run through it sound fantastic.

I went with these "preamp/DI" units because I don't use a head. I run right to a power amp and cab. If you use a head, the preamp part isn't necessary. A Countryman would probably do you just fine.

I also tend to think that even though you probably don't NEED your own DI, I think it's nice to know what you have when you go to a gig. Again, my situation is a little different, but I am pretty sure that not too many sound guys will have a better DI than mine.

I just did a gig the other day where the soundman provided a DI but, this was no ordinary DI...it was that new Ampeg Vacuum DI.

It definitely added some overall "creaminess" to my sound.

Out of my Bass, into the Ampeg DI, into the board. No amps. No speakers. It produced an excellent tone in both the house AND my In-Ears.

The price for all that creamy goodness: about $700.

Guess I'll be going back to my SansAmp, thank you very much.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

I own the new Ampeg SVTDI tube direct box. To my ears the only thing that sounds better is the Avalon U5, although they're different animals which both color the sound somewhat. I finally got a chance to record with the SVTDI and John Siket, the engineer was very impressed with it. I picked it up for just under $300 last summer through a bud who works at a music store. For pure uncolored sound I use my Countryman.

Ok...being the DI addict that I am (I own like 12 of 'em now)....

The Countryman IS a standard due to its' somewhat neutral nature and, moreso, due to the fact that it will take a bomb to break it.

The Avalon U5, of which I am also a proud owner, has been my fav DI of late (more than either my RAdial JDI or the much heralded Retrospec Juice Box), but its size and weight have made it somewhat difficult to drag to gigs (I have been taking it to recording sessions on a regular basis)...

...but me new fav, which challenges the U5 in terms of clarity and headroom (and definitely takes it for portability) is the Demeter Tube Direct. With a 27megOhm input impedence this thing can take on any kind of instr. signal with no loading problems at all. Very warm, yet clear and transparent....and about the size of a paperback novel (really saves carting around an extra rack for the U5!)....

...best of all, you should see engineer's and sound-folk's eyes light up when I whip this out!

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I take my own DI to church, which is in this case an MXR M80. With the pedal off, it's a very uncolored DI (probably not as transparent as the Countryman, but it certainly sounds very transparent to me). I occasionally use the preamp features like the EQ or distortion, but usually it's a just a DI. The church sound system has Behringer DI's, and I figure the Behringer probably isn't bad, but the MXR has got to be better... ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I favor the Radial Mk3, and it sounds great. It has been compared to the Avalon U5, but this is not a fair comparison. Steve can tell you that the Avalon is not only a DI, but a preamp. It sounds great, and it is class A but I think the radial clean sound is better. Or at least it works better for my needs. The only time I use a stand alone DI is when I don't need an amp, then I'll take along a Radial. I believe that it is a good idea to own your own DI, you are in charge of your sound, and you can't trust that every place you play will have quality equipment.

I guess I should explain my preference for the Radial. They just sound clean and sweet, the Avalon can do the same thing but it has different uses. If you need just a good transparent sound I would reccomend a Radial.

If you've used the Countryman and you have been happy with it, stick with it. You can't go wrong. I think of the Avalon as a preamp and not a DI. The Radial seems to get high marks as well.

Of course the sales man is going to tell you to go after the $550 box instead of the $150 box?

And at $550, you are talking about being in the range of something like a Demeter VTBP-201s, which has a Jensen transformered DI that sounds great on tape. Just a thought to muddy the waters. :)

Didn't TNB find a DI box that he fell in love with recently?

Lately, the house DI boxes I have seen seem to be the little passive Whirlwind IMP boxes. Cheap, passive, and tough. I have actually recorded with it; nothing stellar, but usuable. Good enough and small enough that I always keep one in my gig bag "just in case."

The church sound system has Behringer DI's, and I figure the Behringer probably isn't bad, but the MXR has got to be better...

I like those little behringer boxes. They're cheap and they do the job. I don't hear coloration, and they just condition voltage to where it should be.

I guess its because I almost always use my combo, but I never saw the need for DI boxes with my basses. I do use those cheap little behringer boxes for acoustic guitars, acoustic instruments, and the fender rhodes. I guess it sounds like some of you are using DI boxes as bass preamps, am I wrong? I've considered the Avalon U5 as a recording Pre, but not as road DI. Am I missing something?

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I've had the Demeter and it was tempting to get another one. The thing that swung me to the Avalon was the way my upright bass sounds through it. I haven't found anything else that makes the upright sound the way I hear it in my head like the Avalon. The size is the only downfall.

The fact that the rest of my basses sound fantastic through it as well didn't hurt either.

I generally have used whatever the house had lying about, usually a Countryman or Whirlwind.

The last several gigs I have run from the direct out built into my amp.

Works great, and less to carry.

I am of the opinion that a DI should be as uncolored as possible, all things being equal.

That said, I am looking at the new Sans Amp Tri.

It looks pretty useful, and it'll probably sound like a SansAmp.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Just my $.02, but here goes, mainly because I've owned/operated and still own several different DI's.

The Countryman 85 DI is a really good bet for the money. I've seen them used on pro stages a lot. Not sure if they're still made, but the Stewart ADB-1 is also a good bet. Both are built well, and sound good and and clean.

When it comes to tube DI's, I'd say Demeter makes the best. I have an older one, and it's never let me down.

The last one I bought was made by a company called Hi-Tech Audio. Bought it through Rat Sound (www.ratsound.com). Very versatile. Has an input, a "link" output, two XLR outs, an adjustable attenuator, ground lift, is phantom powerable, and has the ability to switch between "Pin 2/Pin 3 hot" if you're having phase problems. Price is great, too -- $50 or so plus ship, and the Rat Sound folks are really nice. . .That's the DI that travels with me in case my rig goes down. . .

So may DI's, so little time. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

I generally use my GK direct out as a DI, in most places.

At the church, they provide me with a little passive El Cheapo (Actually, it's a Whirlwind. Not bad, really. Our sound guy has a Grammy in Record production and owns his own studio. He selected these for the church given a price point.)

I bring my Rolls Red Square (which I bought when the bluegrass band was playin' in California, and I knew I had to go through the bands PA without amp.) Soundguy loves my Rolls.

The Rolls is a ripoff of the BBE Sonic Maximizer, which has become available again in DI boxes (they had one years ago, operated by 9 volt battery, then discontinued it in favor of all their rackmounts.)

The BBE Sonic Maximizer is an incredible process, which give clarity without loudness. It's more useful for acoustic guitar, I guess, but does help with a boomy room.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by knuckle_head:

May I suggest the Summit Audio TD-100.

It's a DI and a pre, amazingly clean and very versatile.

The Summit site

I feel compelled to repeat myself - the features on this $500-new box are amazing for the price.

You have the ability to adjust impedance with this pre/DI to get exactly what your bass should sound like, but you can get amazingly muical tonal shifts by messing with it some.

I won't bump myself again I swear it..... :o

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

I opted for a straight DI box. Nothing special from CBI. It's got a ground-lift switch (which does come in handy) and a sturdy steel chassis. I was looking at a Sadowsky DI box with the preamp, but could not afford it at this time, plus the CBI is passive rather than 9-volt or AC powered, so there's less chance of a break-down on a gig.

Hi Folks!

Well ive done alot of shows where the sound engineers use a DI box,mainly when doing bigger venues and working with 40K rigs on tours.

I don't mind DI into the amp,but DI boxes are cool.I even carry my own DI box aswell,you never know when you might need your own.But normaly they have been supplied.

There,s loads of them avaliable these days,just seek advice and check em out!I carry a Leem DI box on the road!

Keep On Grooving!

Andy Till www.andytill.com

Andy Till Bass Guitarist.

www.andytill.com

session/tours/recording.

Archived