Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT 30- name a cool new rock band challenge

dhurstlmt

Just wanted to get the opinions of people my age and younger on the newer bands coming out.

Challenge:

Name a band that has come out within the last 3 years that you think will be around for awhile.

By "come out", I mean not neccesarily a new band, but one that could have been around and just got recognized. No underground or garage bands. They at least need a song on national radio.

I like hearing new things and try to keep myself updated as much as possible. So you 30+ year old people, let's hear what you have to say about the newer bands.

This is going out to all those who have been chronologically discriminated against. Just to show that I am bigger than that, you old guys can get in on this too. I am just trying to even the playing field for the newbies of the world.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New-ish bands i think will last are:

Flaming Lips - Who mainy gained mainstream popularity after soft bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. (and yes i know they've been around for ages). Wayne Coyne made me realise that songwriting is an art and not just pointless strings of words bunged on the top of the good stuff. Check out the lyrics. So simple but so penetrating.

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism is a great album which has gained mainstream noteriety and I think these guys might have what it takes to last. Although I wish they'd scrap the shite name

Keane - These will be the next band to hit the US like Coldplay and The Darkness did. Amazing Voice for a rock singer.

Snow Patrol - If Keane doesn't break America Snow Patrol definately will. I love Final Straw

I can't see the hives lasting, they'll run out of riffs soon enough

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

I LOVE Chevelle. I've been listening to them since early 2000, but they didn't have a mainstream radio hit until mid-2002. Their new single comes out in August, and their third album debuts in September.

The band is made up of three brothers, so they are unlikely to break up over huge philosophical differences (or at least you'd think so). Do they have staying power? I hope so. I really don't know what defines staying power anymore. I think they've got just as good of a shot as anyone else I can think of.

Last three years?

No underground bands?

Must have a song on the national radio scene?

That's extremely limiting, but okay.

- The Shins

The greatest band in "indie rock" right now. They played on Leno, is that "national" enough?

- Franz Ferdinand

They're just interesting enough, they've got a video on regular airplay, but let's see them put out another album or two.

- Modest Mouse

They finally got serious airplay with "Float On" even though they've been around longer.

- OutKast

Okay, they've been around much longer too, but they only broke out in the last three years. They've got the talent.

- Coldplay

I like their stuff, but will they keep progressing or just make the same lazy music over and over again?

- Ted Leo/Pharmacists

Played on Conan O'Brien last year. Still waiting for this guy to take off, because it's so f'n good.

Difficult to predict if any of these folks will be around for the next year or 10.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

This is going out to all those who have been chronologically discriminated against. Just to show that I am bigger than that, you old guys can get in on this too. I am just trying to even the playing field for the newbies of the world.
LMAO!!! I was going to start this thread when i got back to work on Monday, I just happened to have a second to check the forum today!

But seriously, I wasn't trying to make anyone mad, I just wanted opinions from certain people, given a set of guidelines to follow.

Keep sticking it to the old man!! :thu::thu:

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Tenstrum,

We're cool. I really wasn't feeling that left out. I was just trying to make sure everyone felt included. BTW it was a good thread to begin with so I guess I was just kind of cherry picking. Keep up the good work.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

I'm 15 so I'll post here... I'm not sure how long Rooney has been around but I hadn't heard of them till last year. They blow me away as a band... still lots of room for improvement but I think they have a sound that could be very successful if they iron out a few songwriting kinks.

The Mars Volta- Half of the fallen post-punk sensation At The Drive-In. Its pun-prog with a heavy dose of latin and salsa injected into it. Flea played on their full length release "deloused in the comatorium" but now Juan A. from Racer-X fills the bass seat. Their live shows are spectactular and feature jamming galore.

Muse- Been around for a while in Europe. Three guys in it. the center of the band is really the singer/guitarist/key board player who is classicaly trained in both piano and vocals. Very good.

We distort. You abide.

AFI-Incredible band from the SF bay area, they've been around since about '95 or so but they've only been on a major label since last year which is when they released their first radio/mtv(muchmusic for us canadians) played singles: girls not grey, the leaving song part 2 and silver and cold, from their first major label album, sing the sorrow.Unlike many similiar punk bands that switch to major labels i dont believe AFI have sold out,their new album is just as great as their older stuff and still remains original IMHO. They describe themselves as hardcore and i guess thats really all you can call them because they arent really punk, nor metal, just a very nice balance between the two, with awesome metephorical lyrics throughout their songs and tasteful but still technical instrumentation and some of the best singing i've ever heard from a hardcore band ( davey havok, their lead vocalist, can go from a beautiful soft deep voice to a raging high pitched scream and anything in between,needless to say, he has an incredibly diverse vocal range.)Definitely one of my favourite bands and im almost certain that they'll last for many years to come.

The Distillers- another incredible punk rock band. they released their first major album this year but they had become one of the more popular and better known Epitaph Records bands with their 2002 release "sing sing death house" and their 2 singles from that album "the young crazed peeling" and "city of angels" that despite being on an indy label still got quite a bit of rotation on music video stations (quite a bit for a punk band on an indy label means like a few times a week but still, not many punk bands get to that point with their second album).

i could go on describing them but that woyuld take up too much of your bandwidth so if youre interested, search google for The Distillers and you'll find some fun stuff.

i dont want them around, but i can see good charlotte and simple plan staying around for a bit

Alkaline Trio!!!!

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

CLUTCH has been around for a while, but they haven't really had many songs on the radio until about two years ago, and then they got burried in the ton of crap that came out at the same time. :rolleyes: I hope they'll be around for a while. Black Sabbath / Soundgarden-ish in style.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I keep seeing a common word used in many of these posts about hot new bands and who will stay and who will flop...STAYING POWER. Let's be honest guys and girls; music is not the same as it used to be. Everything is so much more commercial now and things seem to evolve at such a rapid pace. Every month, some new band is coming out big and saying that they are some new kind of genre of music. That's because everyone wants to make it big by following the influence of others, but still have the satisfaction of feeling like they're something completely new and unique. It's almost to the point where every band has their own genre of music just like they have their own name. The point I am trying to make is that so very few bands nowadays have that "staying power" simply because it is not the nature of the industry anymore. Every label wants to have the hot new band playing under their name. Once that band becomes yesterday's news there's one right behind them ready to take their place. It all comes down to $$$ and what the record labels want us to hear. When you have a market that has become so competitive, it's kind of difficult to be top dawg for very long. Bands like Rush, Metallica, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc. that were around for years have a reputation that carried with them for all those years that bands today never really get a chance to build. And only in very rare cases do bands still have such a dynasty.
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

Archived