Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introducing Myself

44 hurts

Hello Lowdowners:

I have been reading the posts, and adding a couple of my own here and there, and felt it was time to provide a little background.

I am located in Thousand Oaks, CA and am not a spring chicken, but am new to the bass. Started playing about three months ago when I noticed that the family garage band had three guitars, drums, keyboard, but no one to hold the groove. So I started taking lessons from Mike Bear.

As a kid I played violin. Then as a teen in the 60s I played bad guitar. Still play bad guitar.

I am employed full time as a technical writer for a software company and have been doing it for over 25 years.

One of my cousins lives about 10 minutes away and plays mean lead guitar so we get together every week or two and just jam lightly. Working on some Rush and Steve Vai right now.

Love playing the bass and have learned a lot from reading the various threads on the board. Looking forward to becoming an adequate player. Certainly don't expect to get rich - unless I win the Lotto.

John D - 44 hurts

Don't look back. You never know what might be gaining on you.

- Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

A good bass player knows the notes not to play. - Nick St. Nicholas

John

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the best bass forum ever! :thu:

As you probably already know this forum will provide a wealth of knowledge and help in all your bass playing endeavors. Stick with it, have fun, and keep us posted on all things bass.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

welcome to the Lowdown 44!

as said before, this place is a a pretty fun place, as long as u dont spam or act completly inappropriate. before you post a topic, besure to use the search button to see if your question has already been answered. :D:wave::thu:

btw. where is Thousand Oaks, CA? i live in Vacaville California (Nor cal).

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Thousand Oaks is in Ventura County. Norhtwest of LA and between LA and Santa Barbara. My brother is in Arcata (up on Humboldt Bay) and my dad is in Sonoma (Gold Country).

John

Welcome 44! It's a nice place. All these posts here so far, and no flames yet!

Many useful bits of info to be had here...And they're not all bass related. But, fortunately, most of them are.

Definitely use the search function to glean more before you post, but not everything is easy to find there. So, do what ya like.

From the other side of the land mass,

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hi. I can play bass much much worse than you can ever hope to, so don't EVEN try to play worse than me, understand? :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

Hi. I can play bass much much worse than you can ever hope to, so don't EVEN try to play worse than me, understand? :mad:

Well, considering the way I play guitar, we may have to have a bad bass playing contest. But I do have an excellent teacher. And every thing I read here makes me a better player.

John

as long as u dont spam or act completly inappropriate.
44 Hurts is one of the most appropriate people I know. :D

Actually, I look forward very much to meeting up with him every week for lessons. WELCOME!, If you haven't already, you'll find that everyone here is very helpful and non-competative.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Originally posted by Mike Bear:

WELCOME!, If you haven't already, you'll find that everyone here is very helpful and non-competative.

I'm MUCH less competitive than you.....much MUCH LESS! :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Welcome 44!!......the Lowdowners are an amazing group of people....smart,witty and genuine...with the occasional goof off....makes for a great mix if you ask me!!

cheers!

:thu::thu::thu:

Have you hugged your bass today?

44 Hurts is one of the most appropriate people I know.

lol. people yell at me for not spell checking, but i mean c'mon. everyone here can read (i hope). also, i just try to get my posts out quickly, so someone doesn't sy something b4 me, and becuase i dont wanna be , "so five minutes ago!". lol

:D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Originally posted by 44 hurts:

Still play bad guitar.

I think most of us do :D Welcome to this forum ! As a relative newbie myself (though I already have acquired senior status or something similar) I can honestly say that this is the best bass forum there is ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Welcome to our little club, 44. Nice handle.

I'm actually 48 now, and can testify that 48 hurts more. I'm not looking forward to 50!

Do a little looking around, I've found our guys to have an incredible sense of decency, humor and wisdom. Loads of great information, and for the most part, egos are left at the door.

I'll give you a nice hyperlink. In this link, I refer to several other gems of bass wisdom...follow the rabbit trail and you'll get a nice picture of all of us:

Bassists are dull.

And don't forget the amazing Fictional Characters as bassists thread.

(I still think I gave the best answer to that one!)

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived