Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toupé Bootleg - Opinions

Grant - Toupé

I've posted this elsewhere - don't be alarmed - but Toupé have a few great shows recorded - each one different and we've been exploring the world of free bootlegs of our shows.

As long as they are traded for free and not profit - we see nothing wrong with it - it's a moment that has passed never to be recreated.

We've put one show up on Archive.org to judge reaction and whether it is a good idea. Does it effect peoples view of the bad in a good or bad way?

So here's the link - have a download and post your opinions.

FREE TOUPÉ SHOW - JAN 5th 2004

The show is from Jan 2004 - where we were supporting our buddies Skindred - I like this show despite my sore throat - it was a load of fun.

Hope you enjoy it (does contain strong language).

What's your thoughts?

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

2Bass Players - One drummer - No guitar - NO RULES!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Grant - Toupé:

What's your thoughts?

Grant, as a long-time bootleg trader I say it's a good idea in itself. Beat the bootleggers to it, and don't be shy to the idea of selling em at your own website.

Just make sure to pick the shows that "stand out" in a way, and best of all in a GOOD way :) I mean, if you were stone drunk and couldn't even play the bass line to "Peter Gun" a particular night, you may wanna consider keeping that recording to yourself :) On the other hand, different arrangements, new songs, special guests etc all make for great bootleg material.

Oh and don't think that the bootlegs will culminate in less sales. I know from just about all the tape traders I worked with that they are fans, and don't do it for profit. And hell, a good (free) bootleg will turn new people on to your music, which will actually lead to better sales :) Because let's face it, these days there is SO much music flooding that we the buying audience have to be picky. The days when checking out a good name and / or cover was enough to buy an album are behind us.

I'm sure many will disagree :) But I think it's a good idea :thu: Now I'm gonna download that sucker to see if I should go out and get me a Toupé cd ;) And don't worry, whether I like it or not, I won't put it on Kazaa ;)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Dank u wel Eddie,

I've been checking out a few bootleg sites and it does seem like a really friendly community indeed. The guy who suggested it, Sherman Loper from Sacremento, CA, told us a little about the system and how it's more of a hobby for most guys.

I've been reminding people that if you're asked to pay for a boot these days - you can probably get in online for free anyway - so it's also discouraging the buyers more than the sellers.

Hope you like the show! :)

As for selling them - I don't think I'd be happy with that because some people may get upset about paying to see the show live and then again to hear it.

I think I might use it as a way of building the mailing list though - boot in exchange for an email address and a few handy contacts etc...

Take care man, thank you for your comments.

G

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

Dank u wel Eddie

Graag gedaan :thu: What a lot of traders do is work according to a tree system. People can sign up either as branches or as leafs. If you are a branch, it means that you make copies for the leafs that are assigned to you. The leafs then get the bootlegs and can either become branches themselves or leave (no pun intended) it at that. I must stress though that this system is very difficult to maintain and more often than not fails, if the tree is too big.

I hear ya on the selling thing, good point there. What you CAN do is offer people that come to the show a sort of "order sheet" where they could give a free donation (or a grand total of say $5, £3 or whatever) and receive a copy of that particular show afterwards. Lots of work and administration, but worth considering, even if it were for the extra word of mouth ads and the subsequent publicity.

Thanks again Eddie.

Your comments are very helpful in trying to sway our record company to be truly convinced it's a good idea in the end - especially if we have control of the boots ourselves - better recordings from the desk and being able to download for free - we could cut out any money maker by basically telling everyone where to get it free.

What did you think of the show?

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

I think you guys sound great. Very edgy...I'm sure you get sick of hearing that you sound like Primus at first listen...but the songs are much more accessible.

The mix was a little vocal heavy, but for a bootleg in a club (was a board mix?), I thought it sounded pretty good.

Next time I'm over the pond, I'll make a point to see Toupe!

"For instance" is not proof.

What did you think of the show?

Hey Grant,

I'll agree with Zeronyne in that it's pretty vocal heavy, but I won't compare you to Primus (because I don't know a single Primus song :D )

In itself I hate using bootlegs as a means of being introduced to a band, but this show has sparkled my interest in your band's music. At times it's really impossible to tell that there are 2 bass players rather than a traditional 3 piece band :) And I'll betcha that your six string will have people wondering as well ;)

I may come over to London somewhere later this year for Uriah Heep\'s Annual Magician\'s Birthday Party so if you happen to perform around that time, lemme know and I'll drop by ! It'll all depend on my cash flow though :( Being a student don't exactly imply huge incomes ... ;)

I'm all for the free trade of live recordings. Look what it did for The Dead and Phish, and a host of other bands to follow in their wake. Let people bring recording gear right to the gig and trade all they want!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

ZeroNyne - Thank you sir. The Primus comparison is still quite a compliment to us (not too many bands get that!) - but like you say, we like to think it's more accessible. I'm quite humbled by the links people make with our music to that of others. Lyrically, we've been compared more to Zappa, Tom Waits, Mr Bungle. But the live shows create more of an atmosphere chaos - that's down to our hatred of over rehearsing our music and constantly allowing the songs to evolve. Even after recording on an album - it's never the definitive version - it's just the way we're playing it at the time.

Glad you like it though. Let me know when you're over here next.

Eddie - Thanks for all your comments on this - you're wicked. I think because I get to see Karl make these incredible noises from the start - I never doubt that it's two basses. I'll tell him to get back and keep it real! :)

mound - couldn't agree with you more. I don't think the people who like to listen to bootlegs are the sort who suddenly think they have the definitive version of a song - they know the album will be different etc...So I'm really getting behind this bootleg thing. :D

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

Archived