Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you a meathead? (how thick is your neck)

davebassman

What kind of neck do you prefer?

I find switching between 4 & 5 strings that I like my 4 to have a reasonable neck, otherwise it feels like a toy.

My hands are big enough that a wide neck doesn't worry me.

What do you think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the size of your neck.....it's how you use it!!!!....

seriously though....I've always liked a thinner neck....thin with fast,low action....I have wide hands with thick fingers so go figure that I like a thin neck!!!

but it comes down to what floats your boat!!

cheers!

:thu::thu::thu:

Have you hugged your bass today?

I prefer the Jazz thin neck, but then I also play URB. 'Course that's a different style of playing.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I like mine thin, i love my corvette neck which is slimmer than a normal jazz, and its quite a shallow curve aswell.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

I like a thick neck with lots of room in between the strings for my fingers to move freely. I've never felt comfortable on a thin neck. If I do a string bend on a thin neck, I'm liable to pull the string right off the neck! *sucks doing that* My Yamaha RBX765A is the first 5 string I've played that actually felt good. Lots of room!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Two of my basses have very thin, J-style necks (a Sterling & Geddy J); my 5-string bass has a much chunkier neck (at least by my standards); and of course the Ric has a neck that's pretty unique to it. I love them all. They all feel good, even when switching from one to the other.

As a rule, I'm a thin-neck guy. (Not in real life, though. ;) )

I prefer 11/16" at the bridge and similarly slightly more narrow neck spacing when it comes to five string basses. Does matter with a four string, the p-bass 3/4" bridge spacing and wider neck is ok, though on bad hand days I'm glad to have a jazz width neck.

Neck depth doesn't matter IMHO.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Wider necks make victor wooten type slap a million times easier. But i find that for a run, the thinner neck on my 5 string soundgear is great.

I guess that since trying victor wooten type licks often takes me right out of the pocket...i'll stick with the thinner neck but with enough space to go down and up through a string.

jason "big fingers" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I play four string exclusively and always thought I was a Jazz guy - in fact the thin neck was a big reason I bought my Jazz a few years ago.

Just got a 70's Precision about a week ago though and I find my taste has changed.

I kind of like having some wood to hold on to and for the kind of meat and potatoes groove bass that I play, I don't feel the extra width holds me back at all.

I love this P-bass! :love:

i've played 'em both proficiently so to me my preference is not a matter of what i find easier to play in a sense. my hand actually cramps a little on a thin neck. wider necks let me flex my hand a little more and play more relaxed. i like that musicman/g&l style neck.

maybe we oughta make this a poll?

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Some 4 string necks feel like I'm playing a broom stick and wider four string necks have an uncomfortable string spacing for me. I just like the way a five string feels. The combination of the neck width and string spacing is perfect for, even if you don't use all of the strings all of the time.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

I haven't really conidered the thick vs. thin thing. I've played both, and after a little getting used to the bass, it didn't really matter to me.

My '73's neck is worn in just right, so it feels best (but being worn, is it now thinner?)!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Just got a 70's Precision about a week ago though and I find my taste has changed.

I kind of like having some wood to hold on to and for the kind of meat and potatoes groove bass that I play, I don't feel the extra width holds me back at all.

I agree, Quinn :thu: The fat neck feels solid and makes me play solid.

What about asymmetrical necks?

I prefer a substantial neck on my bass (and I'm a guitar player).

I'm not claiming this is so, but I feel that a lot of mass in the neck contributes to the tone. And I just plain don't like having the strings too close together.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived