Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rickenbacker Stereo output

DJ-Wood

Hello,

I have a Rickenbacker 4003, and I've yet to take advantage of the split channel 'Rick-o-sound' output.

I'm soon going to be investing in a 4x10 and 1x15 cab, and I'd like to be able to have an overdrive effect coming through the 10s whilst clean bass comes through the 15.

Can someone tell me how I would go about splitting the sound in this way?

regards

Dave

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass output 1 -> distortion -> Amplifier 1 -> 4x10

Bass output 2 -> Amplifier 2 -> 1x15

OR

Bass output 1 -> crossover (highs) -> distortion -> Amplifier 1 -> 4x10

Bass output 2 -> crossover (lows) -> Amplifier 2 -> 1x15.

You'll be much better served to get a dual-channel amplifier with 2 preamp channels that can run simultaneous.

As you may know, the Ric 4003 has two 1/4" output jacks. The one closer to the strap button is mono, & the other one is stereo ("Ric-o-Sound"). You'll need a stereo 1/4" instrument cable, and a "Y" box--a box with a stereo input, & two mono outputs that run simultaneously. Then just take a mono signal from each of those to their respective rigs. (And then, with the 3-way pickup selector toggle on the bass, you can switch between rig A, rig B, & both rigs blended, on the fly! It's as if they designed the thing to do exactly what you're trying to do. ;) )

Get thee to a local guitar shop--the best one you can find. If you're really lucky, they'll have the stuff you need. Chances are, though, they can at least tell you just what to get, & probably even get it in for you.

This is a great idea, btw! An awesome way to use the Ric stereo feature. Our own Amy (www.clatter.com) does some absolutely bodacious things with a Ric running through a massive bass rig & a wicked guitar rig. :thu:

Shame on me for not doing this yet! :o

FYI, the ric-o-sound jack is a stereo output and is not used in conjunction with the regular jack. The pup signals are split so you can send them to different amps, etc.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

D'oh!

Am I correct in thinking I will need 2 seperate amp heads to do this then?

Not sure if my budget can stretch to this ... I've pretty much decided on getting an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO 11 head, and putting it through ABM mini cabs ... theres only one input on the front panel (jack inputs for 'send' and 'return' effects round the back though, is that any good?!)

You can run the different outputs through separate effects loops and then rejoin them before the amp to use only one head. This is especially helpful for using guitar effects, since you can apply them to the treble pickup only and keep the low neck pickup clean. A Boss NS-2 or similar line switcher would probably help a lot.

If you were just using distortion, though, I'd be real tempted to spend just a couple hundred on an ugly, cheap, used guitar amp. Cheaper, and it has a different quality from a pedal that I personally like.

However, if you plan on running two cabs with different effects, you will definitely need either two heads or a two-channel amp that can handle that kind of thing. A PA power amp, like a Carvin 1500, would do the trick.

Archived