Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should the band PLAY ON?

In the news today, the surviving members of the WHO announced they would continue their tour despite the recent death of the "Ox"... They said "John would have wanted this", and "we made this decision after consultations with his family"... (I'm paraphrasing despite quotes)... The point is... if you were in a world famous band... and the sonic anchor at that... and YOU DIED, (God forbid), would YOU want the band to PLAY ON? Even days after your death? guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I died, I would fully expect the band to break up, and all the members develop (even more severe) substance abuse problems. After about a decade or so, I suppose it would be acceptable for them to have a one-time reunion at a huge, televised charity concert. In the case of the Who, I have a perfect solution: The Beatles have lost a lead singer and a guitarist; the Who has lost a drummer and a bassist. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Whotles!

I have a feeling they're out there doing the tour, but it's NOT because they REALLY want to. It's probably because of advance ticket sales, promoters and big buisness all of whom want a piece of the Who. How you like this one LIVE ??? I knew George Streit for a while back in the early 80's. His daughter was killed in a car wreck, and they just shot him up with some dope and pushed him out on stage "like a dancin' chickin' in a freak show". When Stevie Ray Vaughn died .. I couldn't even PLAY his records for a year after that. It just HURT to damn bad. I was just a fan. Nothing compared to what the Who must be going through. Should they do the tour ???? NO ... it's not that important.

They lost Keith Moon some 20 years ago, I guess Daltrey/Entwistle/Townshend discussed similar scenarios extensively. It's their band, their music. They are entitled to do whatever they find apropriate. Quoted from Pete Townshends webpage/diary: 28 Jun 2002   The Ox has left the building - we've lost another great friend. Thanks for your support and love. Pete and Roger 28 Jun 2002   We are going on. First show Hollywood Bowl. Pray for us John, wherever you are. 29 Jun 2002   Pino Palladino to play bass for the tour. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by Eric Worthington: [b]In the case of the Who, I have a perfect solution: The Beatles have lost a lead singer and a guitarist; the Who has lost a drummer and a bassist. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Whotles![/b][/quote]Let's see, what would be on their setlist? The Punk Meets Eleanor Rigby Baba O'Kite Jude Reign O'er Me One After 5:15
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

i think its in their riders for these geriatric souper(sic)groups to have plan B in effect before they even hit the ground. thats why 'pino palladino' is ready to carry that 'ox' weight for 'the who'. in my greasee opinion. s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

[quote]Originally posted by Eric Worthington: [b]If I died, I would fully expect the band to break up, and all the members develop (even more severe) substance abuse problems. After about a decade or so, I suppose it would be acceptable for them to have a one-time reunion at a huge, televised charity concert. In the case of the Who, I have a perfect solution: The Beatles have lost a lead singer and a guitarist; the Who has lost a drummer and a bassist. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Whotles![/b][/quote]This was SO Funny ! :D :thu: BTW... Yes, I would like my band to keep the wheel rolling. We were a BAND, right? Every member has a specific weight but we're a total. Anyway, I'd be dead and worms will be eating my flesh... so [b]WHO[/b] cares? :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Eric Worthington: [b] In the case of the Who, I have a perfect solution: The Beatles have lost a lead singer and a guitarist; the Who has lost a drummer and a bassist. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Whotles![/b][/quote]Yessssssssssssssssssss! I like it!
I really don't know what to put here.

Definitely go on! Life is for the living. There is a difference between honoring the dead, and stagnating our lives in their name. If Pete Townshend and Roger Daltry are OK with touring, and the fans still want to see them play, then the show should go on. I can also speak as a live sound pro on this one. If I were a sound engineer on the Who tour I would respect a decision by the others to NOT tour. That said, there are at least a dozen principle employees who are relying on the band for work. Perhaps hundreds of others would lose work as well. Again, if Pete and Roger are OK with continuing, I applaud them for honoring the memory of John Entwistle as well as preserving the livelyhood of their employees and the desire of fans to see them play.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by russrags: [b]I have a feeling they're out there doing the tour, but it's NOT because they REALLY want to. It's probably because of advance ticket sales, promoters and big buisness all of whom want a piece of the Who. Hey russrags .......I am a long time WHO fan . I would think that they would at least cancel the tour for at least a few months . J.E hadn't even been dead for more than 2 days B 4 they anounced they were keeping their tour dates . I think Money had a HUGH effect on whether to tour or not . This tour was heavily promoted and I think JBL is one of them . How you like this one LIVE ??? I knew George Streit for a while back in the early 80's. His daughter was killed in a car wreck, and they just shot him up with some dope and pushed him out on stage "like a dancin' chickin' in a freak show". When Stevie Ray Vaughn died .. I couldn't even PLAY his records for a year after that. It just HURT to damn bad. I was just a fan. Nothing compared to what the Who must be going through. Should they do the tour ???? NO ... it's not that important.[/b][/quote]It's not that important ! I agree ! At least Bury your life long friend and morn a little . I think the WHO is showing little compassiom . Now ......I am sure that Pete T. would probably tell me to F- off ! But ...... dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I think they really know this may be their last go around, so why not do it it without Boris...?? And, Pino Palladino is an AWESOME choice. I still think a couple of his lines from the Paul Young tunes are incredible. He just has a cool sound. (fretless with Octaver) Ent is missed. I consider him part of that first round of God-Like Prog Rock Bass players (Squire/Bruce/Geddy/JP Jones/Entwistle). Too bad he was the first to check out....

[quote]Originally posted by russrags: [b]I have a feeling they're out there doing the tour, but it's NOT because they REALLY want to. It's probably because of advance ticket sales, promoters and big buisness all of whom want a piece of the Who.[/b][/quote]Not to mention the "crew" which probably tops 40-50 people... or the production companies [lights, sound, busses, trucks, staging], local crew... there are also a bunch of "everyday working stiffs" that would be affected by the band cancelling the tour. It would certainly be understood by all involved if the band decided to cancel the tour... but frankly, for the sake of the 'second electrician', the 'truck and bus drivers', the 'guitar tech', 'systems techs' [etc.]... I'm rather glad to see them see this thing through. Maybe it's a way for the remaining members to work through losing a friend, maybe it's about "big business and contracts", maybe it's about the 'rest of the organization'... who knows [no pun intended... but frankly, they're the only ones who know the answer to the question].

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:

Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

I can't comment on what would be "appropriate" versus what had to be done for "business reasons" and so on. The people that really have to live with the decision are Pete and Roger, who had been friends with John since they were 14. They know better than we what the "right thing to do" is. Yes, it seems pretty sudden. Yes, maybe a week of wearing black arm bands would have been more politically correct. Yes, I'm very saddened by the Ox's passing. Related topic: Pino Palladino has played with Townshend for years and years. Check out his work on [i]White City[/i], especially "Give Blood". He has played Who tunes live with Townshend and Daltry before. If you're going to the show, please give this guy some respect. It's a shitty position to be in under the best of circumstances, and though you [b]won't[/b] be hearing an Entwistle impersonation, you [b]will[/b] hear a motherfucker of a bass player. BTW, he's as good on fretted as he is on fretless. - Jeff

I'd want the band to go on. If Entwhistle was anything like I am, I imagine he would not want a silly thing like his own death to interfere with the business of making music. I find it easy to imagine that his final earthly concern was that he did'nt want to keep the show from going on. It becomes the focus of a person's life, for so many years- I'd want my band to go on.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote] Not to mention the "crew" which probably tops 40-50 people... or the production companies [lights, sound, busses, trucks, staging], local crew... there are also a bunch of "everyday working stiffs" that would be affected by the band cancelling the tour. It would certainly be understood by all involved if the band decided to cancel the tour... but frankly, for the sake of the 'second electrician', the 'truck and bus drivers', the 'guitar tech', 'systems techs' [etc.]... I'm rather glad to see them see this thing through. Maybe it's a way for the remaining members to work through losing a friend, maybe it's about "big business and contracts", maybe it's about the 'rest of the organization'... who knows [no pun intended... but frankly, they're the only ones who know the answer to the question]. [/quote]Exactly.

Here are some statements from Townshend and Daltrey on their reasons for continuing with the tour: "For my part," Townshend said, "I am not attempting to deliberately establish any sense of memorial or tribute to John. Unlike others I entirely respect (including many of John's friends and family) I don't feel I know for certain that John would have wanted us to go on. "I simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves, ticket buyers, staff, promoters, big and little people. I also have a duty to myself and my dependent family and friends. I also want to help guide Roger and the rest of the band at this time, all of whom have been shaken by John's death. "My immediate mission is to complete this tour in good heart, and to remember John in my quiet and private times. It is easy for me to smile when I remember John. I loved him unconditionally. I will try hard not to fall into any of my usual mini-depressions on this tour. Pino is determined to enjoy the music, and so am I." In a statement, Daltrey said: "My reason for doing what we are doing now, and it is going to take a lot of strength from everybody, is to celebrate John's life. It seems to me the best way is to play our music -- the music he helped to create. The spirit of John Entwistle is intrinsically woven into every song we play. By playing our music I believe we can help ourselves and our fans grieve and begin to come to terms with our loss, huge as it is." Complete article from CNN is [url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/01/who.goes.on/index.html]here[/url] .

In an age where acts will cancel tours on whim, I'm actually refreshed to see the Who carry on. I don't think it would be wrong of them to stop the tour, but many people would go hungry, as has been said by many other posters. I have a friend that was burned by the Janet Jackson cancellations in Europe... it can really set you back to be unemployed for half a year... especially when you have a family.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived