Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just saw Prince @ Madison Square Garden - NYC

57pbass

I just returned home from 4 hours of non stop funk at Madison Square Garden ...NYC.

Suprise opening for Prince was Morris Day and the Time... great band ...bass player was playing a 4 sting Mike Lull..no amps on stage for both acts ..everything through the PA.

Prince played from 9 - 11...the band sounded fantastic...

he did a bass duet with Rhonda Smith and they covered Stanley Clarkes Lopsy Lu....very cool at those high volume levels.

Rhonda Smith was playing a Fender Jazz and Prince played a maple neck Jazz.

Two great powerhouse drummers provided the backbeats....

The place was on its feet all night long...a great party and a great show.

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Prince on Tues. night at MSG. I bought a ticket on Monday and had an amazing seat (about 10 rows back, 4 up from the floor). With the center stage, there is hardly a bad seat anywhere in a venue.

Unbelievable performance. The band kicks a truckload of ass, especially drummer John Blackwell. I wouldn't have believed what he was playing if I hadn't seen it live.

It was a 2hr & 15min set of virtually non-stop music, and after a few minutes break, the band returned for a 15 min. encore. Midway through the show, Prince did about 30 minutes of acoustic material including "Little Red Corvette", "Cream", and the cover of "Sweet Thing". In tribute to Ray Charles, Maceo Parker sang "Georgia On My Mind" accompanied by just piano.

One of the most touching moments was Prince bringing a young girl (maybe 7-8 yrs old) up on stage from the audience to dance with him (she was in the 4th row with her parents). His face just lit up having a little kid enjoying the music. After the show, Candy Dulfer gave the little girl a tambourine. Nice.

If you have opportunity to catch this concert, you must. (Plus, you get a copy of the "Musicology" CD when you enter the venue.)

To answer a few questions..

Scoot...Yes he did do his acoustic set...Mark described it perfectly.

Getz..The crowd was a wide variety all ages and colors...and they where all up dancing

Mark...Blackwell was amazing.. last night Maceo did Its A Wonderful World with the keyboard player...just beautiful

Gospel..Last night was his last of 3 at The Garden but he is in Conn this weekend.

Towards the end of the show he brought up about twenty young dancing ladies..they remained on stage until the last song before encore.

www.danielprine.com

Found the 7/13 set list:

Musicology

Let's Go Crazy

I Would Die 4 U

When Doves Cry

Baby I'm A Star

Shhh

D.M.S.R./Crazy in Love

I Feel 4 U

A Love Bizarre

Controversy

Georgia on My Mind (Maceo vocal)

Acoustic set

-Little Red Corvette

-Cream

-Rasberry Beret

-I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man

-Telemarketer Blues

-On the Couch

-Sweet Thing

-Adore

Sign O' The Times

Bambi

Whole Lotta Love

Let's Work

Pass The Peas

U Got The Look

Life O' The Party

Knock On Wood (Chance Howard vocal)

Kiss

Take Me With U

(Encore)

Call My Name

Purple Rain

Forgot to metion Sheila E was there for a few songs as well...

I always thought she was some type of novelty act until I saw her perform for the first time with Ringo's AllStar Band..and I then realized how great she is.....she sounded great last night too....

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

One of the most touching moments was Prince bringing a young girl (maybe 7-8 yrs old) up on stage from the audience to dance with him

Betcha her parents wouldn't have let her go if it were a Michael Jackson show ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Thanks to my sister I'm now beginning to discover a bit about Prince, would love to see him in concert myself someday ! Thanks for the review.

Eddie

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Prince B da MAN. I caught him in Spokane a few years back, and I'll be at his Seattle show next month. Can't wait.

I find it amusing that everyone's talking about Prince these days, about his big "comeback," when he never really went away. His new stuff (which I love) sounds pretty much in the same vein as what he's been doing for the past 10 years or so (which I love), and his concerts have always been a must-experience event with the same top-notch funksters (Maceo, Larry Graham, etc). But for some reason people are turning out in droves for this particular tour. Could it be the name-change-change? I wouldn't be surprised if it amounted to something as simple as that. Funny how the name "The Artist" makes "Prince" sound down-to-earth. ;)

All your bass are belong to us!

Well, it's not really a comeback maybe but he has been out of the limelight in recent years & he's clearly made a greatr effort to get this show publicized---lots of TV appearances, etc.---& considering the message he's laying down about musicains in entertainment, rightfully so.

& FWIW, let's recall the Prince is his actual name, not merely a moniker adopted for his stage act.

Originally posted by george costanza:

let's recall the Prince is his actual name, not merely a moniker adopted for his stage act.

This I do recall. His parents must've liked him very much. Almost as much as he likes himself.

What were my parents thinking, naming me Andy?

All your bass are belong to us!

I saw Prince at the Hartford Civic Center last night. No opening act, but he played for over 2 hours. The horns, guitars, and vocals sounded great, but the drums and bass were too boomy (I guess that's what happens when you play in a concrete bowl). Rhonda was on the opposite side of the in the round stage as me :cry: , and only played about an 8 bar slap solo. It was actually more of a spotlight groove than a solo if that makes sense.

Prince brought about 20 women and girls on stage to dance for the last few songs.

My favorite part was the acoustic set in the middle. And seeing Maceo Parker on a giant stage!

A good time was had by all. ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Archived