Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Farewell Lowdowners: I'm heading home!

TShakazBlackRoots

Jah willing, I'm off to Africa in 12 days time!

:) to go home but :(:cry: to miss you all.

Before you all ask if there isn't internet in Uganda, oh yes there is. Cafe`s spread out all over like mushrooms. However, it ain't the same as having one at home like I've had here. So I won't be able to be a regular as much as I want to be. :(

I'll do my best to let you know how it's all going on a weekly basis. Drop me an email when you can, let me know how your 'domains' are. :D

This is the best forum on earth. :thu: Despite the fact that I've only met Steve Lawson (who I got to know about on this forum via Jeremy C), you all made me feel part of the bass community!! Thanx, ONE LOVE :cool:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit you can't leave, now the forum will seem empty without your frequent posts and topics. Hope it all goes well for you, you'd better come straight off that plane and into an internet cafe :D .

Good luck

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Wow, I'm not over here on the Lowdown much, but, best to you, TShakaz. You take care over there back home. I didn't know you were from Uganda.

When I had my knee surgery, one of my nurses was from Uganda. Of course, the horrors of Amin's regime are still in the memories of those my age. I know in a lot of places in Africa, the political climate is still unstable...and I wish you and your family nothing but the best and safest.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

all the best back in Uganda, Shaka - stay in touch, as I may well be out there in the not-too-distant future. If you see Ted, say hi from me, and tell him to talk to Jez about getting us over there!
Right on Steve :thu: , I'll definately be part of the crew that gets you down there! I hope to see Ted in Nairobi in August. Hoping to produce a Swahili Reggae album featuring various artists (I'll represent y'all by playing some mean bass ;) ).

And make sure you always use a condom, AIDS is a major epidemic in Uganda.

Jeremy, oh brother!! I am a Hermit...Not easy being one. Try it! :D 'Condom' is a very common word back home, just like food!! As our president said yesterday (on being recognised as #1 + most successful AIDS prevention activist), abstainance is best coz 'eating a sweet with it's wrapper just ain't the same! :rolleyes:

Easier said than done! :D

Thank you all for the send off, I'll post as often as possible, let you know what's happening back home. I may still be complaining about what's being played on over 18 FM stations ( :eek: ) in our Nation's capital of only 1.5Million people. Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Beyonce....24/7!!! :eek:

I'm hoping to get a slot on a radio station to play some serious Funk, Jazz and Reggae. Emphasis on the bass. I promise to call the show 'The Low Downers'. :cool:

I've already got a venue to set up a Jazz & Blues club where I'll be showing film footage of live Jazz & Blues concerts by all the legends, every Tuesday. A live band will take the stage after the presentations. :)

My vision is to make people understand the 'Roots' of all popular music. I did the same for Reggae since 1993 and to this day, Reggae is the most popular music in East Africa largely due to the work I put in to promote it.

Hope Jazz, Blues & Funk do the same. I hope to keep getting ideas from this forum to help out.

Oh yes, it's right here in my hands...a one way ticket this time :):cry: . I've been here for about 4 years (though I've gone back a few times for very short stays)...It's the longest I've been off the continent.

I got mixed emotions especially as far as music is concerned. I've learnt (still learning) alot from you and other sources which I'll not have 100% access to while in Africa. My worst nightmare is getting 'stagnant' musically. :eek:

I guess a weekly check on the forum will remedy that. I'm also organising to have my 'fix' of Bass Player and Sound On Sound magazines sent to me monthly. ;)

I'm sure many of you do take holidays to Europe, Asia, The Americas, Australia & The Carribean. Please try visiting Uganda.....I'll give you a superb welcome + 'wild' stay!! :D

Have a good trip and a wonderful time with the door you've chosen...every choice is not without it's ennui.

The great composer Dvorak spent a few years late in life in America. The story goes that he, the ultimate nationalistic composer in love with his native land (he was Czech) fell in love with America and wanted to stay. One of his most popular symphonies "From the New World" pays homage to his time here, and desire to stay...but he went back home.

Your time away from home has made you a different person, just has your time here made each of us different. Here's the rarest of blessings: May you return home and find it still to be home to you.

See you around here,

Dave

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

:thu: All the best TSBR. What with my recent house move I haven't been able to access the internet as often so just saw this just now.

(btw wrt Jeremy's condom advice, I don't know whether you know this, but the British satirical magazine's euphemism for sex used to be "Ugandan discussions". I can't remember how this originated now but it was something to do with the Idi Amin regime).

Posts sure to get a response, interesting reading, and amusement too?

You will be missed.

Until you return... Be safe and well.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived