Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Collins Update

I'm sure many of you remember the vilification of Phil Collins as a "sellout" that happened on these forums several months ago. As a result, I thought you'd find the following snippet of an interview from the British magazine Q interesting: Interviewer: So what projects do you have coming up for the rest of the year? PC: I had written about 8 songs for the "Phil Only" CD, but then my manager emailed me some quotes from a newsgroup, I believe in the USA called "Musician's Sound and Stage." It was pretty brutal, about how I'd sold out, my music was garbage, that kind of petty musician wanker thinking. But as I thought about it more, I realized it meant that maybe there is a market for some more experimental music. I missed doing some of the Brand X material and thought "Well if people are going to slag me anyway, might as well be for something worth slagging." The next CD is kind of experimental electronics, I'll probably release it under a different name at the suggestion of my manager just so that there are no preconceptions. Honestly, I haven't had this much fun making music in years. Strange how seemingly small events can change your life." Interesting, yes? ...and also a total fabrication. Isn't the internet fun? Have a great weekend!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt that Phil realized that I started the topic as a diversion to all the 9/11 stuff that was going on at the time. If that post and the replies have urged Phil to do some music with a focus on his wonderful drumming skills, then we're all in for a treat.

That's weird ! "Musicians Sound and Stage" I'm so proud to be in this "brutal" newsgroup :D :thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Well, I thought that with the stock market tanking, promises of terrorist disasters to come, Worldcom falling apart, the dollar dropping, frivolous lawuits about the wording of the pledge of allegiance, John Entwhistle dying, and all the other stuff going on, a little humor might be in order...what would be even funnier is if this becomes an urban-legend-internet-rumor. As to having too much time on my hands ...now you know exactly how much text I can write while waiting for MOTU's XP drivers for the 2408 to download! A lot of my time spent on the forums is multiplexed between waiting for other processes to complete.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]now you know exactly how much text I can write while waiting for MOTU's XP drivers for the 2408 to download![/b][/quote]is that because you still have that 28.8 modem? :eek:

For a moment I thought "gee, ultra-rich guy Phil has realized he doesn't have to make everything ultra-sappy just to make sure he can make even more money, and now he's going to go back to really playing drums and trying to push new musical ideas forward. Wow, maybe the world isn't totally screwed up". Oh well. I just got home from work, with some $3.50 sushi from Publix (non-sashimi), theoretically with nothing IMMEDIATELY EMERGENCY LIKE pressing, and I flip on CNN's web page and see this: [url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/06/28/baby.photo/index.html]Supposed to be a Palestinian\'s idea of a joke...[/url] .. and I realize, quite simply, the world is broke.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Goddamnit, Craig... I was starting to get big guilt pangs until I scrolled down. Literally, I started thinking, "Oh shit...I've personally ruined the world of bad bland pop music as we know it. Millions of middle-aged American housewives are going to hate me when they get the next Phil Collins disc, only to hear 25-minute loops of non-sequential bleeps and bloops in odd time signatures." Then I had time to ponder that maybe this wasn't such a bad thing, for a second, until I re-read the bottom statement. You [i]bastard[/i]! May you be condemned to writing only I-IV-V tunes on ukulele for the remainder of your life! :D - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b] [quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]...one nation, under Phil...........[/b][/quote]Hmmm... what shall I order in my first decree? ;) [/b][/quote]Try the fries, they're great! :) -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Phil Collins has been hearing the angry cries of Genesis fans for close to 20 years now. He doesn't give fig one about the people who supported him and made him a star in the first place. I doubt the views on this forum would garner much more than a shrug , and a "Fucking Wankers" from him.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]Phil Collins has been hearing the angry cries of Genesis fans for close to 20 years now. [/b][/quote]I guess so but even Genisis was getting pretty boring too.I'm just thankful Peter Gabriel left to do something interesting at least.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yeah. It would be nice if Gabriel would do something interesting for a change. He too has gotten very stale IMO. PLEEEEAAAAASE don't give me steam.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]PLEEEEAAAAASE don't give me steam.[/b][/quote]Agreed,that was awful,but Deep Forrest/Red Rain ect. was interesting on the other hand.

[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]Anyone notice that Gabriel is beginning to look a bit like Billy Joel?[/b][/quote]Yeah,but that's where the similarity ends fortunately.

Be cruel and say what you want .... but when Phil made his 1st solo record, it was a very personal album that he was making "just for himself". Written at a low point in his life when he saw no hope. All he had to turn to was his music. As far as being ungrateful, I know I've read in his hand written credit "thanks to all you guy's who believed ... even when the frige was empty". Now tell me what's wrong with that ???? Not a damn thing. His fans have really tried to impress him with the idea that he should make the same record over and over. I saw him boo'ed during a concert 20 yrs ago when he anounced the notion of making a movie. He's made a lot of records, I've got at least 50 that he's been involved with not all are good, but many are GREAT. Brand X offers some pretty cool stuff, I think they've got a greatest fits CD you should check out. It's funny how things rotate full circle back to where it began. Has that happened to any of you???? It has to me ... what a ride.

In terms of an update, I wonder if he is doing the soundtrack for [i] Tarzan and Jane [/i]? As the father of the three year-old, I gotta say that Tarzan was a breath of fresh air in the Disney musical genre... even if it reminded me of mid-period Genesis. :D Jerry

Archived