Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acme B2 with acoustic image head. Update: Double as PA

BenHack

Hey guys

I'm in the middle of trying to decide on an amp upgrade and I've decided I like the idea of the Acme B2 because I want something trasparent that will punch out a low B. I play 5 string basses (mainly a Sadowsky and a Cort fretless with Steve Bailey basslines pickups and pre) and want to hear them uncouloured through the amp. I'm currently playing funk, jazz, fusion with a behringer (don't hurt me :eek: ) 120 W combo and I'm not really having any trouble with volume.

So........ to the question. I'm pretty sure about the Acme but I don't like the idea of carting around a big pre and power amp rack. I'm wondering if anyone's tried the acoustic image focus (600 W into 4 Ohm)?? I've heard that the Acme's eat power (yes I've searched) but thought 600 W would be enough. Can anyone help me out here, it'd be great to do a one trip load in :):D Cheers

Ben

PS I should add that most gigs have PA support and those that don't are fairly small and would hold no more than 300 or so. So this rig is for rehearsals and stage monitoring.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BenHack:

I'm in the middle of trying to decide on an amp upgrade and I've decided I like the idea of the Acme B2 because I want something trasparent that will punch out a low B. I play 5 string basses (mainly a Sadowsky and a Cort fretless with Steve Bailey basslines pickups and pre) and want to hear them uncoloured through the amp.

The Acme will certainly do that!

I'm currently playing funk, jazz, fusion with a behringer (don't hurt me :eek: ) 120 W combo and I'm not really having any trouble with volume...

...I'm wondering if anyone's tried the acoustic image focus (600 W into 4 Ohm)?? I've heard that the Acme's eat power (yes I've searched) but thought 600 W would be enough. Can anyone help me out here, it'd be great to do a one trip load in.

If your Behringer combo is loud enough then a Low-B2 will definitely have no trouble. I know of people using the AI Clarus with Acmes and finding it a great transparent rig for less loud situations. With 900W behind it my Low-B2 will go seriously loud and 600W is only 1 dB or so less, so IMO the Focus will do an admirable job of getting the best out of the Acme.

Alex

P.S. I added a strap handle (same as on the Low-B1) to my Acmes a few months back. Much easier to manoeuvre through doorways or carry in one hand now. I think Andy charged me less than $10 for each handle and they were dead easy to fit, just two self-tapping woodscrews into the balance point (which you can find by running a tape from side handle to side handle). Just FYI!

Thanks Mr Claber

I'm still deciding at the moment but it's nice to know I can take that route if I want (all I need to do is hold up the bank :D;) ).

On a side note I'm gonna be in the UK soon (July 23rd - Sep 2nd). Do you have any gigs organised?? I'm not sure if I'll be getting to Brighton (I'll be jumping between London and Hastings), but if I'm in your neck of the woods it'd be great to check out a LowDowner grooving away :)

Anyway, thanks again for the help

Ben

On a side note I'm gonna be in the UK soon (July 23rd - Sep 2nd). Do you have any gigs organised?? I'm not sure if I'll be getting to Brighton (I'll be jumping between London and Hastings), but if I'm in your neck of the woods it'd be great to check out a LowDowner grooving away :)

Well the new band is ramping up (trying out another vocalist tonight) and we've booked a gig for 21st August in Brighton. Hopefully, we'll have a full line-up and a set's worth of originals by then, if not we'll just have a jam session avec audience. Probably a mix of the two.

Be good to meet you if you can make it - Hastings, Brighton and London form a right angle triangle with Brighton at the 90deg point, Hastings 40 miles east and London 60 miles north. Practically next door in Australian terms!

Alex

600 Watts into 4 ohms at 5 1/2 lbs :eek: I'm doin' some serious player hating right now. I didn't know the Acoustic Image offered a 600 watt model. A friend had me plug his 300 watt version into my Acme, but the 300 watts wasn't cutting it.

Alex, I am looking for an even smaller cabinet for upright gigs, how do like the LB-1?

Hey Alex

Yeah I'll definately try and get over that way if I can. After reading all about your trials and tribulations of getting the band happeing I'd love to hear it in person. I've been to the UK quite a few times (my family is English) but I can't remember the last time I was in Brighton. But I'll have to get a few details about the gigs and stuff (closer to the date).

TNB

As it turns out with the price of things over here it's actually about the same price for the the AI head as a decent pre and power amp (we pay through the nose for stuff over here). If I was over your way maybe we could take the bank job together :eek: I'd let you use the amp mon-thurs :D

Cheers guys, I knew there was a good reason to ask here. C-YA

Ben

C'mon, tnb...you know the amp wizards have done better than that...Walter Woods makes a 1200 Watt (into 4 ohms) that is just scary. :eek: I've been lusting after one lately as a lighter alternative to hauling my Demeter/Stewart rig around. The GAS never stops...

Originally posted by tnb:

600 Watts into 4 ohms at 5 1/2 lbs :eek: I'm doin' some serious player hating right now. I didn't know the Acoustic Image offered a 600 watt model.

It's only just been launched and is even lighter than the Clarus, weighing only 4lbs!

how do like the LB-1?

Haven't tried the Low-B1, but I'd expect it to sound almost identical to the Low-B2. All the components are the same (crossover might be slightly different) and the specs suggest the cab is tuned the to the same frequency as the other Acme cabs.

Would you use your WW with it? If you get an 8 ohm B1, the WW would give it enough power and you could pair it with your B2 or B2W for a nifty 3x10" stack with balanced power between all the woofers.

Alex

Ben, if I ever get to do any gigs in Australia, I will be sure to pack some extra gear.

BenLoy, I just found out that the AI Focus only has one channel - not good for me. That Walter Woods 1200 watt amp has to rule! I intentionally stayed away from that one.

BenLoy, I just found out that the AI Focus only has one channel - not good for me.

http://www.acousticimg.com/pics/focus_2r_sm.jpg

Four different models: Choice of one or two channels, and with or without reverb. A 'budget' Walter Woods!

Alex

TNB

I'd love to hear you play and hang out, maybe learn some tips from a pro ;)

As for the focus, when you say one channel I assume you mean one instrument channel because the one I saw on the web site had the same options as all the other AI heads eg 1-2 channels, reverb/no reverb :cool:

But now I'm all excited about the walter woods, does it never end :(:):D

Keep up the groove guys, c-ya

Ben

I went to a different site than Alex suggested - they do make a 2 channel version.

Alex, another bass player that used to live in the area used to have the LB-1 but he wasn't happy with it. Not sure what head he was using and I never got the chance to hear him use it or try it out myself. I have been trying to convince Andy (Lewis) to make a cabinet with a 12". While he laughs at my persistence, he is giving it some thought now.

BenHack said

TNB

I'd love to hear you play and hang out, maybe learn some tips from a pro

I'm just a nuts and bolts player, you haven't missed a thing ;)

I haven't tried this newest AI amp. I tried one of the earlier ones and thought it sounded a bit thin (to my ears). The version I tried wasn't enough power for me. This new one is, and I'll have to give it a try and see. They aren't cheap, but it's the right size for me. If it's thin, maybe a small tube pedal (or octave) could thicken it up....

BenHack - best of luck.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Tom

It's gonna be a little while before I get this setup sorted out but I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like when it happens. I've got a Sans Amp BDDI so I could always use that if it's a bit thin (although I doubt it considering what I'm currently using).

The beauty of the deal is that if I don't like either the cab or the head I can return them within 2 weeks to get my money back - Beautiful.

Thanks to you all for the help, C-YA

Ben

Hey guys

I figured I'd ask here and tap the wealth of knowledge. The Focus amp can be run at 150 or 230 Volts but the power supply in Australia is 240V. Does this mean that I would need to use a transformer to run the amp here (I'm just a bit of a gumby when it comes to the physics of electricity). Cheers

Ben

The Focus amp can be run at 150 or 230 Volts but the power supply in Australia is 240V.

If I'm not mistaken, mains voltages are specified with such loose tolerances that it won't be a problem.

Aha, the power of google!

Australia and New Zealand: 230V, 50Hz AC

Europe: 230V, 50Hz AC

USA and Canada: 120V, 60Hz AC, and 220V 60Hz AC

Japan: 100V, 50 or 60Hz

Following European voltage harmonization all electricity supply within the EU is now nominally 230V, +/- 10%. In practice this means that those countries (such as the UK) that previously supplied 240V continue to do so, and those that previously supplied 220V continue to do so. However equipment should be designed to accept any voltages within the specified range, and in practice most do so. Similarly, Australia has converted to 230V as the nominal standard, but 240V is within the allowable tolerance and "240 volt" spoken as "two-forty volt" remains an Australian English synonym for mains.

Back to me. You've got to love the way the EU standardised the mains voltage without actually changing anything. They just made the tolerances looser. And we worry that our taxes are being wasted on European red tape...

Alex

Man you guys are great

Seriously this is such a great knowledge bank, I'm so glad I stumbled across it (quite a while back now).

Thanks to Alex (googlle master), I can't believe the power here has changed. Now I'm so happy that I can start saving for this rig, the idea of a setup that will pump out this much tone at the weight is mind boggling. The aussie distributer even has a nice compact fold up trolley for sale so I may never need to stress my back again.

Well I hope to be telling you all about a kick arse rig in the near future. Now all I've gotta do is get my playing up to 'the rig' standard ;) I'll postsome samples when I can, cheers

Ben

I am happy to report my brand new Acme LB-2 arrived yesterday. My old LB-2 has served me well and after 8 years of constant abuse (flying and touring without flight cases, drops, cruise ships, drunks, days at a time in the trunk of the car and my daughter) it is long over due for a retirement.

I don't know when Andy started putting in the new tweeter, but it sounds better than the old tweeter. And the old one sounded great.

As luck would have it, I probably won't even need it until Thursday, so it gets a nice gentle breaking in. I love new gear.

Nice one TNB, I don't supose it'll stop the GAS pains (we're all terrible aren't we) but it should put a big smile on your face. Of course if you want to donate the old one I'll be happy to free up some of your floor space ;)

I can't wait to tell you all about my new rig (but unfortunately have to). Anyway, enjoy!! :):)

Ben

Hey everyone

I remember reading that the Acme Cabs work very well as a PA, on top of the whole kickass bass sound thing. So I was wondering if there would be a major problem running my bass and the kick drum through the same B2 (the kick could go throught the mic channel on the amp or through the PA).

I've really been trying harder to lock in with the kick a lot more lately (I'm more used to playing against it and with drummers that like to follow the bass) but sometimes it's kinda hard to hear against cymbols, snare etc. I thought if I were to mic the kick and amplify the signal just enough to be able to hear it that it would really help tighten our groove.

We're looking at a recording by the end of the year so I want to "remove any lint from the pocket" ( :D thanks BenLoy). Cheers

Ben

PS I'm so excited, I'm going to see one of my favourite Aussie Funk jazz bands tonight D.I.G. (Directions In Groove). This will be my first time seeing them live but I've heard a live CD and they most definately bring the funk!!!! :cool::thu:

...I was wondering if there would be a major problem running my bass and the kick drum through the same B2 (the kick could go throught the mic channel on the amp or through the PA).

That'll be fine as long as you don't expect hip hop club volume levels. We used to often mic the kick during practices in my old band.

In my new band, the drum kit has a perfectly balanced acoustic sound, down to a combination of a great drummer, a great kit, great tuning and using lighter sticks. She has the kick drum fairly minimally damped and the back skin really loose so it had very little natural sustain. Great sound! I strongly recommend the use of lighter sticks - they bring down the room volume without compromising the dynamics and give the kick drum a chance to compete with the snare without having a leaden right foot.

For our upcoming launch gig, we'll be running the kick through the PA or (if it's too bottom-shy) I may do the same as you and let it share the Acmes (though I'd rather keep all that headroom to myself!)

Alex

Thanks Alex

I think I'm gonna have to give it a go. I don't really think my drummers the problem. I'm in the enviable position of playing in a band where I'm the weak link. These guys push me all the time and I love it. I'm glad they like my groove so I get to keep playing with them :thu: .

But anyway the drummer (Luke) has great technique and groove, not to mention sound. I guess I just need to hear the kick a bit better to get used to locking in a bit more.

It's good to know I can use the Cab for this little experiment, cheers.

Ben

• 5 months later...

Well I thought it was my turn to start bringing back the old threads.

Finally I manged to get the funds together and picked up the AI Focus and Acme B2. I thought they wouldn't be arriving till the new year but it seems that you Americans don't take quite the same amount of time off around christmas time :) so I just got it (Good for me)

So my first thoughts were that everything sounded so clear. I mean I could hear EVERYTHING , both good and bad, that came out of the amp. Chords and melodies sounded amazing, even down the low end of the neck. I was so happy that my research had paid off.

Unfortunately I didn't get to put it through it's paces too much as my dad was in town and I thought he deserved a bit of attention ;)

But I dropped off the old man and prepared for my first gig with the new rig. I can't begin to describe the anticipation pains I was getting for playing it with a band. When it happened, oooohhh boy :thu::thu: The difference (though not suprising) between this rig and the Behringer was night and day. I could always cut through (Sadowsky bass, amp set with v. slight bass boost) and the sound was thick. Everything I played on any string sounded thick and juicy and provided such a foundation. To top it off the sound when I was soloing was so articulate it was a thing of beauty.

All in all an amazing rig. I can't imagine what it would sound like with more power (or why you'd need it - this thing goes LOUD). Anyone who's thinking about it should give it a shot. I couldn't be happier, except now I have to focus (pun not intended) on playing the bass and not fuelling the GAS pains.

Anyway I thought I'd share. Everyone have a great christmas and a happy (and safe) new year. I'm off to play with my new toy (and try to get thought's of a Norstrand fretless 6 out of my head)

Ben

PS Alex I'm now back from the UK and just couldn't get over to Brighton. I hope all is well and hope to read of your exploits on the LOWDOWN.

PPS I forgot to mention, seeing as how I love the fat sound of the bass into the amp I don't really need to use the Sans Amp in front of the pre amp. You've got to love getting an amazing amp and gaining a overdrive/distortion pedal at the same time :D:D

Congrats man! Welcome to the Acme club. You'll never look back.

Even as type this I'm listening to CDs going through a mixer into a Peavey DPC1400X into two Acmes. Sounds awesome. I bet with an electronic drum set with the bass and drums sharing the Acmes you would have a nice little jam set up that you would be able to keep a handle on the volume.

Archived