Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bump bump bumpity -want bass tone that 'pounds'

this is something ive wondered about for a while

inspired by my interest in hip-hop and my buddys raptacular car audio system, i am interested in creating a bass tone that, for lack of a better term, 'pounds'

i love riding in my buddys car and listening to.... feeling... the strong crushing power of a (properly EQd) pair of 12" subwoofers and accompanying other stuff

so, how can i do this? im not speaking as much from a live standpoint, as a recording standpoint... how can i create those phat, deep, pounding, resonant tones?

i dont know how much of it would be mic'ing... EQing... buy-new-amping... good-in-locking-with0the-kick-druming... i dont even know if what im talking about with the normal range of the 4string electric bass guitar

or hell maybe i just need bigger speakers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by the.circular.motion.rub.it:

inspired by my interest in hip-hop and my buddys raptacular car audio system, i am interested in creating a bass tone that, for lack of a better term, 'pounds'...

...so, how can i do this? im not speaking as much from a live standpoint, as a recording standpoint... how can i create those phat, deep, pounding, resonant tones?

Palm-muting and thumb-plucking will get you halfway. Flatwounds could help. Fuzz (e.g. Big Muff) with the treble turned down. Envelope filter (e.g. DOD FX25) set so it doesn't open. Compression. Aphex Big Bottom. Parametric EQ to stop the bass and kick conflicting. Miced cab with a kick drum mic (e.g. AKG D112). Synth pedals.

You need a combination of fake low end (so it can be heard on small radios) and real low end (so you can feel it on big systems).

Alex

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Envelope filter (e.g. DOD FX25) set so it doesn't open.

I stumbled on this by accident myself one day! Super fat, in a puncy, hard-hitting kind of way, rather than in a warm, silky kind of way. :thu:

I used to use 2 brown boss octave pedals. I used one with the fundamental note turned off so just the first octave was being used. The resulting tone is just a really deep sine wave type thing with no attack.

Archived