Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally rid of my amp problem

Farid

Well after about 2 months of struggling with an ill-behaved SWR 4004, i finally found the reason or at least the cause to my problem. Well the amp for no aparent reason and at random times between rehearsals started to distort and make such annoying sounds (distorsion mostly) that i needed to use another amp as a backup which luckily i have. I bought the amp used and the thing did that since i got it. I took it to repair shops twice and both said the amp was fine, and well i actually tested it at the shop and couldn't get to reproduce my problem. I checked the power current at the place we play and everything seemed fine.

Last night i got so annoyed while rehearsing that i *smacked* the amp while at the middle of a song, and it kind of solved the problem momentarily :) so i knew this had to do with some loose object inside or something, so i just pulled the head away from the cab and put it in a table, and started to play and guess what? no more amp problem. The stup*d vibration of the cab was causing everything. I know this shouldnt happen so i really didnt solve anything, but at least i now have a workaround :)

Any suggestions??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should consider putting big rubber feet (the kind that screw in) until the head (be careful not to mess up the boards inside). It may be easier than shockmounting every componenet internally.

But I'd personally consider this a warning sign and put my head on something besides the speaker.

"For instance" is not proof.

Thats a problem I have had a couple times with my GK 800. Shaking solder loose. Now when I use it,I put a jacket or a folded up gigbag underneath it on the cab. It certainly was a relief the first time when I found out what happened. I have considered putting huge rubber feet on it. I think I'll do that today.

Archived