Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Head to go with my Bergantino HT112?

SteveC

Well, in my other topic someone suggested that instead of dumping my rack pre/power/cab set-up and going to a combo ( I don't need a lot of volume any more) that I try getting a quality head to use with my Bergie.

The cab is a 300 watt, 8 ohm 12" driver and a tweeter with seperate attenuator. The head needs to be NON RACK MOUNTED, small and light but with enough power to make the Bergie sing.

I don't play big rooms or with big, loud bands. Mostly jazz combos, musicals and coffee shop stuff with an occasional big band gig.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Clarus Acoustic Image Focus 1R would be a great choice. Small, light, built inhandle, reverb, just what I was thinking. But then I saw the price - $1,300.

I would like to get the price to about half of that.

PortaBass would be worth checking out. Personally I like the looks of the PB-800.

Thunderfunk also -- but that would run you about $800-$900. Less than 20 lbs., 250W into 8 ohms, 400 into 4 ohms, nice EQ section. Do a search -- I wrote a brief review of a T-Funk head on the LDL.

You could get a GK head. They haven't been "right" for me when I've tried 'em, but lots of others have done well with them. They're under 20 lbs and the 1001RB-II is about $750 at Musicians Friend.

Peace.

--SW

Edited to add links:

Thunderfunk TFB-420

GK 700RB-II

GK 1001RB-II

Ampeg PortaBass 800

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I must plug my Walter Woods head. It ain't cheap, but easily worth it. Oh yeah, it weighs 7 lbs and puts out 700 watts into 2 ohms. I use it to drive 2 Acme LB-2s, but you can get more power if you want.

try yorkville heads.they have 2 hybrid (tube/solid state) heads with some interesting features, one is 400 watts and one is 800 watts so either way you'll have a fair amount of headroom with that cab. neither of them weigh over 30 pounds. you can get the specs here : 800 watt head

400 watt head

just a suggestion

peace

I don't think you'll find anything that hits the tone/cost/power spot like your Stewart + Sansamp. Can you make some sort of slim case with plenty of vents that holds and protects both, lets you remove the Sansamp for through the PA gigs, and keeps the whole package down to hardly bigger than the Stewart in total size?

If you're set on getting a head, watch ebay for a bargain on an iAmp 800 though you may be waiting a while. Probably too clean for you anyway.

If you throw budget aside then I bet you'd love the new Aguilar AG-500. Enough power, very light, and two channels, one of which has overdrive/distortion to get you than Sansamp thickness. But it's really pricey!

But back to where I started, as you love the tone of the Sansamp, what's the point of getting a head with a superfluous preamp in it?

Alex

Yes, I do love the SansAmp tones. I think the benefits of having a head over the SansAmp/power amp would be the option of more tones.

I did have a problem in the past of having "too clean" a sound. The SansAmp gives me the option of "beefing" things up a bit, so a clean head like a Clarus or something wouldn't be all bad.

I also think that the number of "PA only" gigs I will play in the future is very small. That's why I was thinking combo amp. Everyone seems to think I should keep the Bergantino cab for sure - I think I will - but I still would like to dump the power amp rack and have just a small, light head.

The searching continues...

i guess i just don't get what's so inconvenient about a 1U power amp (weighing 11 lbs. and producing over 1kW) and a stompbox-sized preamp.

originally you opened the idea with a financial question -- will you be able to achieve good enough tone or, perhaps, better portability by selling you gear to generate cash.

is about money or sound? and how does your future wife and new house play into this? maybe you're actually dissatisfied with your bass?

help me out. i don't understand your objective. maybe it's because i'm supremely happy with my HT-112 and my new Crest Pro 7200 amp (2000W bridged into 8 Ohms at 24 lbs. and 2U) powering my HT-112 that i simply don't get wanting to reduce the size and power for a little cash (if that).

robb.

Originally posted by SteveC:

The searching continues...

Steve, I really think you're searching for a holy grail. I'd strongly recommend you stick with your current gear and learn how to use it. You're not going to get much, if any, cash back from a downgrade and no head or combo is going to be much easier to cart than your Sansamp/Stewart/Berg rig.

I get far better tone now thanks to 5 years of owning the same (two) basses and (one) rig and thus really getting inside my tone and understanding the gear.

Please, this time, just leave things be!!!

Alex

Yep...

I think Alex is right on this one. You have one of the best sounding compact rigs money can buy. Keep it and be happy, instead of losing your shirt by selling it.

OR...

Send it to me and I'll give you my Eden WT300 and my Eden D210T cab as an even trade.

:D

Funny - I was following Steve (until that last post). I've got time, but I'll be making a "head" decision. And I'm not warm about the rack thing.

I borrowed 57pbass' Eden 400. It was in a 1U rack. The case was bulky. Compared to PJR's PA set-up? No. But compared to something I could drop into a padded bag? Yep. And I'm already carrying a bag full of the "necessities" of bass. If I can get an EA500 (or 800), or an Eden head, or even the Ashdown, I think I'll like it. Now all I have to do is get that damn Read Custom preamp out of my head....

As for Steve, he will be staying with what he's got. that's fine. I'll be buying something new, and if I can find the right all-in-one, that's what I'll buy. Merlin perhaps?

Tom

(did I really say "Merlin"??)

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

i talked to the merlin distributor; they said there's a shakeup at merlin in which one of the original partners split, but the electronic designer is the one who stayed. apparently he's designing a much more powerful version of the merlin head. you can only find the old one used. i would love to try one eventually.

robb.

robb - it isn't so much about tone, portability or money really. Just looking to be more practical.

I have a nice rig, very portable and sounds good. I just was thinking it might be more practical for the gigs and volume I play (if anyone calls me again) to use a combo amp and use the BDDI for some tone options as well. I did that with a WM10 and had great success for small rooms and low volume gigs.

I would make a little money on the sale of some of the gear, but it's not really about that. I'm just trying to be practical. Do I really need this "high end" gear in this little town where I barely gig any more?

i guess my thinking is that you have it and you like it. in my experience it's much easier to make stuff quieter than louder. that is to say, you can turn your amp down; you don't have to use every single watt it can produce on every note you play.

it just seems kind of self-flagellating to downgrade your rig from something you truly enjoy, simply because your gigging situation has changed such that you won't be opening it up as much anymore. don't you ever turn it up and make stuff rattle at home for the fun of it?

i guess the only reasons i can think of to sell gear are that you can't afford it or you need the money, or if you don't like the tone, or if it's more weight and hassle than it's worth. you know, if you had a mesa 400+ and a 410/115 stack, i could understand that you'd want to unload it.

but in this case, i think you're letting the wrong influences affect your decision. your rig is small, loud enough, and toneful. what isn't to like about it? i've carried a WM-12 before; i'd rather carry your rig, especially since i'd be adding so much tone.

robb.

Robb (and others) -

I think I will keep the Bergantino cab. It is very nice and it would be dumb to get rid of it.

I am still open to getting a small, powerful head instead of the rack. I think the only thing I would be at all happy with would be something like a Clarus Focus 1. 300 watts at 8 ohm and 5 pounds. I don't see that happening though as it is $1,300. That's a bit much for me at this time.

Good thing the Stewart 1.2 is doing the job just fine.

ps - I have tried to stay away from amp topics, but I just can't. :D

I will probably do that. I am thinking about putting an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in the fretless.

I also have a friends Avalon U5 to try. Use that for my "preamp" and clean tones, and add the BDDI for the "SVT" or "Fat Tube" tones when needed. We'll see ow it goes.

Still not too bad to haul around (although the Avalon is fairly big and heavy compared to the BDDI) and pretty versatile as well.

• 1 year later...

Seems relevant to bring this back up considering a post by getz76 on a recent ThunderFunk thread and SteveC's recent reconsideration of amplification.

I'm going to echo my earlier suggestion of a ThunderFunk head -- now updated to the TFB550 w/ more power and lighter weight, and a couple more bells and whistles. Should do both ol' skool warmth and new skool clarity.

Has plenty of EQ if needed, plus a simple "timbre" knob, which seems to be like a passive tone control.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Update - an Eden WT-550 is sitting on my Bergie HT112. The Yamaha BB605 has Bartolini pups and pre. The Yamaha BB414 is stock. I still use a Boss TU-2, CEB-3, and MXR Phase 90. Overdrive and distortion is currently achieved with a BDDI.

Honestly, I am quite happy with this gear and that's a good thing as we are due in 2 weeks.

Originally posted by SteveC:

Update - an Eden WT-550 is sitting on my Bergie HT112. The Yamaha BB605 has Bartolini pups and pre. The Yamaha BB414 is stock. I still use a Boss TU-2, CEB-3, and MXR Phase 90. Overdrive and distortion is currently achieved with a BDDI.

Honestly, I am quite happy with this gear and that's a good thing as we are due in 2 weeks.

Good luck with the upcoming acquisition. ;)
(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

i love it when all's well that ends well. the first time i played an HT-112 -- the moment when i knew it was the cabinet i wanted and nothing else would satisfy -- it was an EBMM sterling through an eden head. that is a wonderful tone combination that hits all the talking points above.

congratulations (again)!

robb.

Archived