Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Refinishing 63 P-bass

Flemtone

I find myself impaled on the horns of a dilemma...

I came into possession of a 63 P-bass a couple of months ago. The last owner had decided to strip it down to bare wood (he almost got it all done), but I want it to go back to a pro finish. My problem is:

Do I have it refinished in it's original Sunburst finish (which I like, as it's the original finish for this particular bass), or do I go for the Candy Apple Red (which was available in '63, and I really like more than the sunburst, but was NOT the original color of this particular bass)?

One of those things that make you go 'Hmmmm...'.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Have a great weekend, and don't forget to vote for Lee and 'What The...'. Find the link in SSS.

-Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this bass for you? Do you envisage holding onto it long-term? Or is it an "investment" that you will turnaround at some point?

Personally, I'd get the candy apple red if that's what you really like. The original finish has already been removed anyway, so either way you're selling it as a re-fin (if you sell it).

How does it sound???

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah, what Will said. ;)

If and when you sell the bass, any "serious" collector will likely sniff at the bass, due to the refin. The sound and playability, as well as completeness of original parts, will likely play more of a factor.

You like the CA Red, and it's period correct.

I say get it.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Finish it however you like. The big thing is how this bass plays and sounds; I'd imagine it's quite tasty. You should be much more concerned with the noises it makes than the finish it has.

Please don't do something foolish like unload this bass to a collector. Vintage instruments should be played, not kept in storage or put on display.

The finish (as well as most of the hardware) on my '61 was destroyed when I got it, too. Over the last 25 years it's had several refins and has been my work horse and test mule through thick, thin and at least 100 other basses. Make yourself happy. Congrats on the aquisition. :thu:
Later..................

Tim...you have yourself one sweet bass.... I have one too...

I'd go for the CA Red personally... but if you're gonna keep it and play it, who cares.... you can finish it in a transparent purple over silver metallic if you want..... just enjoy your new baby...

I'll give you $50 for it tho.... :D

Rock on...

Tommy

OOhhh yeah. One of these days I will own a vintage Pee again. Personally I'd go with a nice fiesta red. Creamy tomato soup.

I agree. Its already been done,so you might as well go with what you want. CA red is great with a greened guard. I wanna see it when its done! Are the 63's still slab board? I used to have a '61 that looked like it was beat with a chain. I loved that bass. :(

Mmmmm...Candy Apple Red..mmmmmm.

Is the matching headstock correct for that era? I always like the way that looks. :cool:

Go for it man! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Why not leave it as a clear finish? Wood is a beautiful thing, why cover it up with a garish (if cool) colour?

If you want colours what about Lake Placid blue?

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

NickT is right,,,,leave it natural, just gloss it. Its collector value is down due 2 refin anyways. Also itll look so sexy,,,, :love:

Fuego

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

Thanks for the input, y'all. I'm leaning heavily towards the CA Red, although I was considering the LP Blue originally.

I'm not planning on selling it or storing it - I love this thing. I play a lot, and it kicks the other basses I own all to hell.

I love the idea of leaving it natural (I had toyed with this idea also), but I think it'll be CA Red.

I'll post pix when it's a done deal.

Thanks again. Now get back to work.

-Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

I say, CA. Hell, even Fender used to refin guitars sent back to them by dealers; customers would pick a guitar, but wanted it in a different color, so it'd go back to Fender for a sprayover.

If they're still there, try not to cover up the date stamps or pencil marks.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived