Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've lost that GROOVIN' feelin'!

dohhhhh6

Hey guys, I've realized that I'm not quite the grooviest bassist ever, so I think some practice time on this concept would be very, very... fruitful.

So what are some good practice excersizes to help the groovability?

Right now, I'm starting making beats on N-Track studio, and playing over those. One time, I've try to play in sync with the hi-hat, another the snare, etc.

Metronome? Kinda sorta. Maybe 15 minutes every 4 days.

Any other good tips for being a groove monster? Tappin' foot, etc?

Thanks for the help guys!

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tip: Play more than 15 minutes every four days. Results are guaranteed.

There was a good article of Ed Friedland's in BP a few months ago w/ some simple exercises w/ a metronome designed for the groove-challenged. I think somebody posted them on here?

I be damned. This search function really does work. Here is the thread, and here is Big Ed's article.

Ah, nice marmot.

play along with albums and jam with real live people. i just dealt with a similar lull the same way (no offense to you mike lull owners out there. my other options were "funk" or "blue period" which would have contradictory).
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

First of all, you need to play with your metronome on for hours at a time. Or should I say four hours at a time?

Until you can't even hear the metronome anymore because you are so locked onto it.

And then get out your James Brown singles collection (you do have a James Brown singles collection, don't you?) and play along. One chord, one repeating bassline. All day long.

Try Lickin' Stick or Hot Pants.

Playing with a metronome will help you learn to keep time, which is essential to being a good in the pocket groove player, but for really learning how to 'groove'...

Jam with a drummer, alone!

Preferably a good drummer who can keep good time. And just a drummer and you, no other players. This will teach you to really feel the groove and work with the natural pushing and pulling dynamic that goes on when humans play together without a click track or metronome.

Definately play with a drummer, and if the drummer can piss all over the beat then thats even better, start of simple and slow and follow j to the c's advice to the letter because he knows everything about bass (and probably some other stuff too)

Nic

P.s. im going to get a metronome, any good ones that you reccomend?

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

• 3 weeks later...

not everyone has a drummer in their pocket :)

I just bought a drum machine. its pretty cool but unfortunatly, i'm having to much fun programming patterns in it instead of practicing my bass.

But the good 'ol metronome is less distracting.

Good advice one and all. In our calling, there is no question more essential than this, IMHO.

I used to take lessons with Glen Letsch for a while and in his conception, bass playing is made up of three elements:

1. Time

2. Groove

3. Space

As has been suggested, working with a metronome or drum machine regularly will take care of #1.

Playing along with CD's that feature smoking rhythm sections will help with #1 and #2.

And playing regularly with a good drummer will help all three.

Space sometimes gets overlooked, but the notes you DON'T play also help create a tightly locked groove.

p.s. Hey Whacked, here's a shout out to Stockton - my old hometown!

:wave:

Originally posted by Quinn:

Space sometimes gets overlooked, but the notes you DON'T play also help create a tightly locked groove.

I'm a master when it comes to leaving out notes ;) If a run is too hard to play, I simplify it and tell the rest that I wanna let the music breathe a bit :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Before I gained too much weight and lost some self-esteem, I went out to clubs and danced. Seriously. Even just hanging out on the side with a good DJ running the mix can make you move and groove. And I don't mean classic rock, either, get moving to the new stuff. You shouldn't have to think about it, just trust your inner funk-genie to do it for you.

You need to FEEL it first in order to get your mind to think that way, then you can get your hands to do what your mind wants them to do. Not all musicianship is an intellectual exercise, m'lady; sometimes it's about making the audience shake their booties or do the wild thang.

:cool:

Like Jeremy said...

Buy a James Brown singles collection.

Play along...preferably to "Doin it to Death" or "Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothin'". Nothing beats 10 minutes of the same chord over and over again.

Archived