Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get your ass out of that studio and back in shape. I'm serious. The better cardio-vasicular condition you are in the better you can tolerate and dissipate heat, and deal with changes in temperature. Upgrade your body, the neglected solution.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but, but, what about the noise from the fans and ac? I'm getting a "library quiet" ac unit, but I don't know how loud it is. In my current set up, I have to turn everything off and bake while tracking and let the room cool down in between takes. What do you guys do about the noise?
I really don't know what to put here.

I can identify with this post. Used to turn all the lights off, so the place was really dark just to keep the heat down. My room is highly insulated, keeps the sound from leaking out and other sound from leaking in, but it also keeps the heat in. I had an air conidtioner. Just didn't do the job. Two days ago, I couldn't stand it. went to Sears and bought a 9000 btu unit. [i]BLISS[/i] [b]You probably need a new air conditioner![/b]

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

I bake in the summer while tracking. I also retrack a lot due to the rush-hour, taxicab-honking, street traffic. I also retrack a lot in the winter due to the intermittent hiss of the MF radiator that responds to nothing I can do from my apartment ...

Posterchild, you can't fool me, you're really Mike Love! Wow, you must have a lot of gear. My room gets really hot, but just from the miserable heat outside. My solution for heat and traffic noise (I live on a really busy street), is record at night! (I still get sweaty, though. Nerves!!) Macle

Geez - I freeze my ass everytime I use my studio. It's in the basement, so in the winter it gets cooled by the 30" thick limestone walls sucking out the heat, then in the summer all the cold air from air conditioning settles there. Either way, the temp hovers around 60 to 65 all the time. Maybe we can set up some kind of exchange - you e-mail me some heat, I'll fax you some cold.... Whataya say? - Phil Koenig Tangent Studios

[quote]Originally posted by zele: [b]Clint can play a pretty good piano...see him when he is in town on the weekends....CJOGO[/b][/quote]REALLY!!? I saw a special on him a couple of years ago where he sat down to tickle the ivories for the interviewer. I was embarrassed for him. He looked all sheepish while he reluctantly played something he'd been working on. I kid you not, it sounded like someone going up the white keys, root position triads, no idea where he was, while his right was equally lost, meandering in a timeless soup. Nobody home. Not a clue. I was so disappointed. I had heard for years he was a jazz pianist. I mean, trust me. I'm not being a snob. He couldn't play ANYTHING. Now this was a few years ago; maybe as much as four. Perhaps he's practiced a lot since then, or the TV show hated him for some reason and cut to a section where he was deliberatly trying to sound bad. Or maybe my mind just left and I dreamed the whole thing. I mean I like Clint Eastwood. I was even an extra in the movie Bird. You can see the high water trousers Costume gave me as I'm walking across the street in the closing credits.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

And the new compact flourescents are very easy on the eyes and have a nice warm color. That's all I have in my little world. I hate bad flourescents as much as anyone, these really are different. More than 80% of an incandescent bulb's energy output is heat. That's the simple reason why a 15 watt flourescent does the lighting job of a 75 watt incandescent bulb.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

The newer CF's don't. They don't buzz either. If you're willing to spend a few bucks they even make dimmable torchiere's like those ubiquitous halogen ones you could get at Home Depot for $15. They go for about $100 but the bulb lasts forever and doesn't put out heat, plus of course uses a lot less power. I have two! These are not your father's fluorescent bulbs. :D Check out the different bulbs and lamps available at http://www.realgoods.com and then you can go to Home Depot and buy bulbs. They've come down a lot in price too. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]The newer CF's don't. They don't buzz either. If you're willing to spend a few bucks they even make dimmable torchiere's like those ubiquitous halogen ones you could get at Home Depot for $15. They go for about $100 but the bulb lasts forever and doesn't put out heat, plus of course uses a lot less power. I have two! These are not your father's fluorescent bulbs. :D Check out the different bulbs and lamps available at http://www.realgoods.com and then you can go to Home Depot and buy bulbs. They've come down a lot in price too. --Lee[/b][/quote]I have to agree with Lee - - the new screw-in 'curly' florescent bulbs are great. I've gradually replaced all the bulbs in my house with them over the last 2 years. Not only do they never seem to wear out (well, OK, they'll probably burn out someday, but none so far), they lowered my electric bill by $30/month. I get a 3-pack of 15 watt ones (each equiv to a 75 watt incandescent bulb) for $15 at the local Sam's Club store.

• 4 weeks later...
My all CF home seems just about as incandescent as you might want, but I have wooden paneling instead of white walls, maybe that's why no hospital vibe. I haven't noticed any interference from the CF's. I find that not all of them last as long as advertised. Oh well. Some of them probably last longer. BTW anyplace a bulb gets turned off and on a lot, like a closet or bathroom, you might want to go with incandescent as it will be cheaper to replace, and all that switching is hard on the bulb. I like the way the CF's get bright gradually. Way easier on the eyes if you turn on a light in the middle of the night.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Hey. that's very cool posterchild! Did you get one of the stainless steel wonders from Real Goods? I've had one of mine for a couple of years at least, and the bulb's never burned out. And yeah, they're not hot... which is a blessing in Georgia!

Different light sources do give a different color caste to the room. The human eye compensates for a lot of this; to really see the difference try photographing your room (use slide film, I supposed digital would work too) under sunlight only, fluorescent only, incandescent only, and even try halogen. Most print films are made for sunlight; incandescent light gives a orange/yellow caste, while flueorescent gives a greenish caste (I don't know what "color temperature" a halogen gives off). Photographers have different filters that allow, say, an incandescent-lit room to look "natural", a.k.a. sunlit. You can buy fluroescent tubes that come in different "color temperatures"; I don't know if the new fluorescent "bulbs" come in different color temperatures or not. :idea: :idea: :idea: This all has nothing to do with heat, sorry about the rambling!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived