Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

to trade up or not to trade up...

dcr

That's the question.

I mentioned a while back that I bought my first 5-string this year--a Yamaha BB605. I got an excellent price on it on eBay, & figured if I didn't like it--either the 5 strings, or that particular bass--I could sell it quickly with no loss. As it turns out, I love the thing! Good luck rocks. :cool:

I'm trying to decide, though, whether I should just keep this one, or trade up for its bigger brother. In particular, I'm looking at the BB2005, or getting an old BB5000. Pros & cons:

BB605

Pro: I already have it & know I like it; love the NE1 preamp, esp. mid freq. sweep

Con: single-coil hum; bolt-on

BB2005

Pro: same as 605, but with neck-through, better hardware (monorail bridge!), & humbucking J pickups

Con: more expensive, haven't tried it or heard it

BB5000

Pro: very affordable used (they stopped making them about 10-15 years ago?), super versatile & quiet P & stacked J configuration, neck-through, good hardware; I've heard them on recordings (Jimmy Williams; & 4-string version BB3000 on Flower Kings) and they KILL

Con: 2-band without mid freq.

I'm sort of leaning towards trading up for the BB5000. I suppose I could get one, A/B it with my BB605, & keep the one I prefer. :idea: I guess the big issue between them, aside of course from general "mojo," would be whether I can do without the mid freq...but that P/J should be pretty versatile...hmm...

Thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A musician friend once told me

"never get rid of a guitar you really like"

I somewhat agree with this but there are times where we have no choice...

I think you answered your own question..keep the bass you now own and love and A/B it with the new addition

www.danielprine.com

How much are you going to play it?

I'd go for the oldie. The thing is,though,is that the earlier models had super tight string spacing and I've seen more of them for sale then the later wider models. I think there is a narrow on ebay right now. I love those older BBs. I used to have a BB450 with emgs and it was a great bass. Keep the older TRBs in mind,too. Great basses.

Man,

I used to really like the TRB's. But they just arn't the same since around '97. They don't feel as good and don't sound as good. I don't know what happened. I used to be that the only difference between a TRB-6 and a Pattatuci model was the piezo pick up in the bridge.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Don't sell a bass you like! I've made that mistake more than once, and boy do I regret it.

Save some more and buy another (every bass needs a friend!).

As far as the BB5000's 2 band eq; Roger Sadowsky believes a 2 band sounds better than a 3. He know's a thing or two about bass.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Upgrade the pups on the one you have and wait for a few months...
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I've also been told that. Someone said that they once sold a bass they once owned and regret it until this day. :cry:
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I wouldn't necessarily call a bolt on neck a con.

Now, I have a BB5000 and I could rave about it forever. The two tone controls work fine, I don't miss not having the mid.

I agree with Tom, what about some new p'ups?

There was a black BB5000 going around on Ebay down here for $750 (Aussie) which I'm pretty sure didn't sell. Bargain! :D

Happy hunting.

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I somewhat agree with this but there are times where we have no choice...

I think you answered your own question..keep the bass you now own and love and A/B it with the new addition

Spot on x2.

My wife's cool with me doing the A/B thang, so maybe I just will. No way I'd flip a bass I know I like for an unknown commodity. The good ones you keep. But hey, shopping's free...almost... ;)

Thanks! (Esp. to davebassman for the inside view!) More insights welcome!

dcr - we have the same bass. I thought about upgrading - the hum bothers me. I think I am going to put in a Bartolini system. I had that in my Modulus and Lakland and really liked the pickups and preamp.

I like the feel of the bass, and the way it looks. It sounds good, but Ithink it could be better with a little electronics upgrade. I am not so fond of the mid section of the preamp myself.

Well, I did it. I am now the proud owner of a Yamaha BB5000A. It should arrive later this week; I'll play with it for a week or so, & see which close runner-up goes on the auction block.

Thanks...review to follow...

Keep the runner up and string it piccolo. I saw Ed Friedland perform solo and one of the basses he used was a 5 string piccolo to cover the guitar parts. The higher pitch combined with the 34" scale length gave the chords such a cool sound, I think you may find it a worthwhile exploration.

Just a thought :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Well, this stinks.

I just got the bass. It was supposed to have a brand new nut; it's broken. According to the owner's manual that came with it, it's supposed to have a high-mass locking bridge; its bridge is nothing of the sort. It's also supposed to have an ebony fingerboard, but if it does, then it's the most rosewood-looking piece of ebony I've ever seen. I think there's something fishy about this bass. (No pun.) I think I should ask for a return.

Wow! That's a real bummer man. I hope that you can get everything worked out. Let us know how things turn out.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Rough stuff, brutha. Sorry to hear it. :(

While not a wood expert, I will post this at the risk of being proven ign'ant... :eek:

...I don't think all ebony is supa' dark. Sometimes manufacturers dye their ebony to give it its full dose of blackness. However, without seeing your 'board and how light'n'streaky it really is, I can't really say if that's the case.

And, then again, I may simply be ign'ant. It happens. Like a disease. Strikes me every now and again -- sometimes to my great embarrassment. :(;)

Good luck getting everything straightened out!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I had a Carvin with an ebony board. The grain was so tight it looked like a composite. Where did you buy the bass? Is returning it an option? If it was an ebay purchase, I've heard most ebay seller's will back up wht they sell, but I have a friend who was screwed out of $700 on a piece of furniture.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Well, I emailed the seller about the issues (evidently a retailer in MS), & they were totally cool about it & will let me return it. No harm done.

It's a pity. It's a good sounding bass, & I think it would record beautifully. It had some surprising dead spots for a neck-through, though, which probably has something to do with the iffy nut & bridge. I'd definitely take a "proper" one.

Truth is, I think I still prefer the BB605! The preamp is, imho, much more useful, & the single-coil hum hasn't been that big an issue. Of course, the BB2005 is the same bass, but a more "Cadillac" version, so I guess that's what I'd most prefer, but I don't have $1300 to drop on one, so I'm choosing to be happy with what I've got. :thu:

Although maybe I'll get another set of Slowounds to put on it... :P

Archived