Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternating fingers

scyzoryk

I just noticed that when I play a really complicated riff, I tend to ring some strings with the same finger and not alternate the fingers when I move up and down the strings.

Am I getting myself into a bad habit? (should fingers always alternate?)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to tell without seeing what you're doing. It might be worth investing in at least a couple of lessons with a pro, to be sure you're not starting bad technique habits.

Some who know a heck of a lot more than I ever will, will tell you that fingers should always alternate. Myself, I don't alternate fingers that strictly. In fact, I've become quite a fan of the single finger approach. Most of the time I alternate (although surely not as evenly as I'm "supposed" to), & sometimes I play one-finger. I guess I've got sort of a mongrel technique.

Still, that's not to say that anything goes. I'd take a lesson.

Its a good question. I always practiced modes makin sure I would use good alternating finger techniques, but when I play with band I don't think about technique as much, more about the music and do whatever it takes. I've caught myself doing the one finger boogie from time to time. James Jamerson played with one finger on some stuff too.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Well, when you're moving to a lower string, say, playing one note on the D-string and the next note on the A-string, that's called "raking".

Raking is especially useful when playing a rapid passage, as it allows you to play two notes with a single motion. Basically, you pluck the first note on the higher string and then just continue the same motion with the same finger to pluck the next note on the lower string.

Obviously, this doesn't work when moving to a higher string for the second note.

Still, there's nothing at all wrong with using just the one finger. I've actually been concentrating on using a single finger as much as possible, only using alternating fingers for rapid passages on the same string (like straight 16th notes on the same note).

As long as you aren't cramping up or finding yourself tense and uncomfortable while you play, use whatever makes it work the best. However, as an exercise or when warming up, it might be a good thing to concentrate on alternating to keep the technique under your fingers, then when you are playing music let go and just play. If you have specific fast riffs, just work out what fingering works the best and don't worry about it.

The only time I consciously adhere to the alternating finger approach is when I need to be really consistent with a straight 16th note groove, simply because that's what sounds the best. Then again, depending on the groove and how I want it to feel, I may not. I use whatever technique makes a line flow the smoothest and don't even think about it while I'm doing it. Why make the groove suffer by worrying about whether you're using "proper technique"?

Originally posted by LizzyD:

Why make the groove suffer by worrying about whether you're using "proper technique"?

In general, I agree with this. However, if you ever plan on playing stuff from players like Steve DiGiorgio, and Alex Webster, you better have your alternating finger technique in order! These guys not only use their index and middle fingers when picking, but also use their ring fingers to make managing ultra fast runs easier to tackle.

Here's an EXAMPLE of what I mean. It's written by Steve. Even if you don't play metal, you may find it very useful.

the bottom of the page in that link has tab that doesnt match with the music. the first note is E and it says in the tab to play Eb :freak:

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

the bottom of the page in that link has tab that doesnt match with the music. the first note is E and it says in the tab to play Eb :freak:

Yes, you're right about the oversight, but Steve tuned Eb-Ab-Db-Gb for the Sadus albums. As long as you follow the tab, and tune the 4 string as directed, you'll be okay. :) Even if you don't tune it down, just follow it anyway. the point of the exercise is to work on your picking execution.

Originally posted by scyzoryk:

Am I getting myself into a bad habit? (should fingers always alternate?)
Becoming comfortable with alternating fingers is important to learn, but don't get all hung up over it. Always is not an appropriate concept when it comes to playing music (IMHO). Different riffs will necessitate different techniques, but these aren't etched in stone. Practice scales and intervals using alternating fingers, but the important thing is to enjoy what you're doing and if it works for you, use it. Techniques come with time and practice...when you learn them, you won't think about it, it'll just flow.

Relax and enjoy your bass...... you'll be fine :thu:

Rock on.......

Tommy

Raking is a technique that is very useful when it comes to playing funk. I find that you can "feel" the groove a lot better when incorporating the raking technique. I believe I read a column in BP about how raking is not used often enough by a lot of players. Listen to some Jamerson licks, there is raking all over the place!!

You should be able to play a passage across strings both with raking and without.

Here's a good exercise to get you working on strict alternate fingering:

http://www.benloy.com/alternate1.jpg

Start with your index finger and strictly alternate every note. Don't rake anything. Use a metronome and start slowly. Once you get it up to speed comfortably, start with the other finger.

Once you get that one down, try this one:

http://www.benloy.com/alternate2.jpg

Both these exercises work great to practice your bowing as well if you play upright bass.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with raking if it dynamically serves the music, but these exercises will help with alternating.

Archived