Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on upright strings?

Snowdog79

Yes, I know this quesiton has been run into the ground on most bass forums. And yes, I know that string choice is a very personal matter, varying greatly from person to person and instrument to instrument. However, I'm not going to let that stop me from taking up bandwidth picking everyone's brain here....heh heh heh...

So I finally have the funds to restring my double bass, and I'm looking for string suggestions. I've got some old D'Addarios on it right now that have served me well for quite a long time, and I've been happy with them. However, I'm curious about other string options.

I play mostly pizz jazz and rock gigs on this bass. I do play arco at my rock gigs occasionally, and during my lessons. I'm also studying the usual canon of classical solo bass playing, in an attempt to further better myself as a human being.

In short, I play too many different f#*@ing styles, and can only afford one bass, a 1982 Romanian flatback that sounds way better than it should.

Any recomendations on strings that 'do it all'? I mostly want a solid, easily amplified sound for my rock and jazz gigs. I'm using an underwood pickup and a fishman ProEQ-2 preamp, if that makes a difference. My only real complaint with my (very very) old D'Addarios is that the A string is quite dead. Any suggestions? I want to pick them up this week and slap 'em on so they have time to settle in before a recording session with my rock band.

Thanks all!

~Jeremy

www.collinherring.com

www.galenjeter.com

~Jeremy Hull

hullbass@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/Jeremyhull

www.myspace.com/cowpunkHolyMoly

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Corelli 370 strings as one that can "do it all"; the following description is from my string sales web page:

Corelli 370 strings are my personal favorite for my own particular double bass needs, and that's why they're listed first-- but that doesn't mean they are perfect for you. I like them for their versatility and articulate sound. These are not your Daddy's doghouse bass string... unlike the more typical and earlier string types, these have an edge to their attack, rather than the traditional blunter attack. Physically, they are thinner in gauge when compared to other strings using the typical Light/Medium/Heavy sort of measurement scheme. I also find them to be more flexible, less stiff, so I can really dig in. I have hand/nerve problems so I prefer a string that responds more easily and with less effort. They can be bright, especially initially, but calm down after play. They are also very easy to bow. I have used them sucessfully with magnetic pickups.

Anyway, they come in M (Medium), F (Forte, and TX (Extra Forte), though even their heaviest, the TX strings, are not as heavy as some other "heavies". I like the Forte weight in most cases, though the TX are not much thicker, and if you prefer a slightly meatier string, perhaps the TX should be your choice, though I'm not certain you'd be able to tell much difference.

Corelli does not list gauges on their packages, but I have taken the time to gauge all the strings using a digital caliper and present the following unofficial measurements for your reference; Forte Gauge: G=.043, D=.055, A=.067, E=.089; Extra Forte Gauge: G=.044, D=.054, A=.071, E=.096

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Hmmmm....a rockin' bassist from Ft. Worth.

I teach in Ft. Worth.

I'd have to second Bob's recomendation as a pretty good string. The are really easy on the hands; the lighter strings might not have enough pop for your needs.

I use the Helicore's....another set might be a good option as well.

Are you going to buy these locally or online?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd check at David Graham's shop when I'm in Arlington this week and see what he has lying around, and if I don't see the right set I'll give Lemur a call.

And Mr. Brown, I actually met you this past spring at the UTA Solo & Ensemble contest. You judged several of my students--remember ALL the kids that played Caballero? Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this forum; I plan to hang out here quite regularly and get some new teaching and playing ideas.

~Jeremy Hull

hullbass@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/Jeremyhull

www.myspace.com/cowpunkHolyMoly

I put D'Addario Helicore Mediums (orchestral series) strings on my upright a few months ago and I am very impressed with the way they sound on shows AND jazz gigs. They bow well and I love the dark tone and weight they add to my walking. I may never go back to Spirocores.

I thought I was talking to somebody I knew...howya doin'?

And remember (not to belabor the issue) our esteemed moderator Bob G. also sells stuff!!!!

See ya soon.

And, I'm not a "Mister." Call me Dave...and welcome to the forum.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived