Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i finally have all my equipment set.

rumpelstiltskin.

when i take possession of a B-Stock Crest Pro7200 and put it in a modern case 4-space rack bag, i will be finished.

the official signal chain:

peavey cirrus BXP (no, you can't get these yet)

warwick quadruplet preamp

crest pro 7200 power amp (25lbs., 590W/2000W into 8 Ohms)

bergantino HT-112

i had to sell some gear to get here as well as save a bunch of money (it's funny how easy it is to put together $750 when you're really focussed). in total i've put about $1600 into it, which is a few hundred less than the list price of the power amp alone. since i'm sly, i get much better deals.

i think there's about two people on this forum who actually have real interest in this rig, but i'm so happy i'll have it all together soon, i had to share.

robb.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by robb.:

[QB]when i take possession of a B-Stock Crest Pro7200 and put it in a modern case 4-space rack bag, i will be finished.

I hope this is true. It never has been for me.

That is certainly a lot of power for that 300 watt 8 ohm cab. Is all that really necessary? I have a Stewart 1.2 powering my Bergie and I am wondering if that is a bit much.

Enjoy the new rig, really.

i think there's about two people on this forum who actually have real interest in this rig

You and who else? ;)

Nice. Power is good. Small is good. Tone is good.

Looks like you're out of the GAS race for the forseeable future - welcome to the club! :D

Alex

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that creating new music and researching/acquiring new gear don't go together - or is it just me that can't do both at once well?

Originally posted by SteveC:

That is certainly a lot of power for that 300 watt 8 ohm cab. Is all that really necessary? I have a Stewart 1.2 powering my Bergie and I am wondering if that is a bit much.

it is certainly more than i'll need for now, but the more important point is that it's not less than i'll ever need for any situation.

the plan is to run my HT-112 from channel 1, which should provide more than enough power for one 300W cabinet. the problem i've had with the GPS 1500 (1100W bridged into 8 Ohms) is that my preamp doesn't produce enough output level to fully drive the amplifier, so i'm not getting anywhere near the power at which it's rated.

so hopefully the crest will be sensitive enough to drive my low output. if not, then i can bridge and know i have plenty of power. one thing i've noticed is that i had a typo in my first post: it's 590W per side into 8 Ohms, not 890W. so it's pretty capable of driving the HT-112 from a single channel if i can give it enough signal. plus, if i add cabinets in the future, it will have ample power no matter what configuration i choose.

besides, it was so cheap i couldn't say no. it lists at $2,096; i paid considerably less than that. in fact, before this deal i still wasn't considering even used stewarts and QSCs because the price was so good. now that i got an even better deal, there's no way i could buy anything else.

i am having second thoughts about a rack back. i kind of like the idea of having some hard protection for the knobs of my gear. at the same time, a silver nylon rack back would look really sweet with the bergantino chrome grille and weigh a lot less. i much prefer gig bags to hardshell cases for instruments for the same reason, so why am i waffling now?

the amp should ship out today, so i'll probably have it friday or monday. i may have to drive out to plant 6 instead of waiting for it to be delivered to my office...

robb.

Can you say a little bit about the 4-string Peavey Cirrus BXP? (You did say it was a 4-string, didn't you? ;) )

What makes it a "BXP"?

What wood choices did you make?

What did Maury say about sending you his Bergie EX-112?

Orginally put forward by Claberonious Phunk:

You and who else?

Um, that'd probably be me -- given all the gear PMs that robb. puts up with from me! ;)

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

i thought alex might have some interest, but i guess i was wrong about that. i thought TscheckyC might have some interest, but i guess he's too busy doing work to get involved.

the BXP is the korean made cirrus. we haven't actually released them yet, so don't go to peavey.com looking for them. however, the observant reader of BP will notice a cirrus BXP prominently featured on page 59 of the june (rhonda smith) issue.

mine is the first sample from the manufacturer, so it has cool features like gold hardware that was made in the USA by hipshot -- ultralite tuners and individual bridge saddles with both through body and through bridge string-loading. the pickups are peavey VFL and the preamp is 3-band with sweepable mids. it is very musical (that's code for subtle and tasteful).

my particular instrument is walnut front and back with a mahogany core and matching headstock veneer. the neck is five-piece maple with walnut. the body is smaller than the american cirrus and the neck is thicker (front to back). i haven't measured the nut width, but i think that is wider, too, though i may be wrong about that.

neck through body construction. 35" scale. i have no idea if any of these specs will bear any resemblance to production versions. it sounds really nice through my rig. it's in the same league as the amp -- for the price i paid, i really don't need to look elsewhere. i mean, i know i'll want more gear eventually in the future, but from having no amp at all in october to where i am now, i'm ecstatic. i still have about four more basses i'd like to own before i feel complete, but i'll have to gig a lot more to even consider them -- i don't buy on credit, so i get things when i can build up the cash (and that's after i pay all my bills and put some money away for savings).

maury has already tried to convince me i need the EX-112; i have agreed in principle with him, but i already knew that when i got the HT-112. heck, i already know i need to buy an NV-215, too! but the story is the same: until i gig more and actually play a large room without PA support, i don't need it, i merely want it. and i can ignore want.

anyway, i love the BXP. it's really sweet. and i'm enjoying having active pickups and a preamp for a change. i've never owned anything active before, but like i expected, i love it. so much more definition in the mix, and so much control.

when they hit the market, check out the cirrus BXP -- but only if you can't afford a USA cirrus, which is still one of the best values in bass-dom.

robb.

the plan is to run my HT-112 from channel 1, which should provide more than enough power for one 300W cabinet. the problem i've had with the GPS 1500 (1100W bridged into 8 Ohms) is that my preamp doesn't produce enough output level to fully drive the amplifier, so i'm not getting anywhere near the power at which it's rated.

so hopefully the crest will be sensitive enough to drive my low output. if not, then i can bridge and know i have plenty of power.

This instrument preamp and pro power amp compatibility issue seems to be a a common problem. The Crest has the same gain as the GPS 1500 so it probably won't put out any more power before the preamp runs out of oomph. Can you get the amp modded by Crest - I know it's a cheap and simple mod with QSC amps and I'd be surprised if it's much different from amp to amp. I believe the reason behind the low gain / input sensitivity of these nice power amps is to minimise noise by optimal gain staging. That gets screwed up though once non-pro gear is hooked up.

one thing i've noticed is that i had a typo in my first post: it's 590W per side into 8 Ohms, not 890W. so it's pretty capable of driving the HT-112 from a single channel if i can give it enough signal. plus, if i add cabinets in the future, it will have ample power no matter what configuration i choose.

besides, it was so cheap i couldn't say no.

It looks like a mean amp - I like the way the most powerful model is even lighter than the others and puts out over 6kW, that's just scary!

i am having second thoughts about a rack back. i kind of like the idea of having some hard protection for the knobs of my gear. at the same time, a silver nylon rack back would look really sweet with the bergantino chrome grille and weigh a lot less. i much prefer gig bags to hardshell cases for instruments for the same reason, so why am i waffling now?

I recommend one of these shallow Gator cases. Light, strong, inexpensive and a perfect fit for my PLX. Check that the Crest's not too deep first though!

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Orginally put forward by Claberonious Phunk:

I like that...

my particular instrument...

Sounds very nice. Good wood combo. And good active electronics rule, proper low impedance pickups with accurate highs and lows and well voiced tone controls. In fact it probably sounds like a warmer and less growly version of my Warwick (an in yo face bass!), which is clearly a good thing.

(I'm about to go off on one, please close the door on your way out...)

We all know that the key to effective recorded bass tone (reggae excepted) is midrange. Live it's not such an issue because the sheer loudness opens up a lower register you can live in (due to human ears' improved LF response at high volumes). Pick up a traditional P or J bass, play it unplugged and they sound great, plenty of lows, mids and highs. Plug it in (particularly the P) and you get a dollop of extra midrange, both in terms of complexity (all those interesting harmonics and distortion the passive pickups introduce) and frequency response. Stick true active pickups in those basses and you lose that midrange oomph because the pickups much more accurately reproduce the acoustic tone of the instrument.

So, if you want to create a bass with the broad response and tone variation of active pickups, that still punches through the mix, you need to choose woods and construction that enhance the midrange of the instrument, by increasing the resonances in that register. Hence the use of multi-laminate construction and heavier, darker woods in Peavey/Warwick/Alembic/etc's active instruments.

Makes sense to me - don't know how close to the truth I am!

Alex

i don't need it, i merely want it. and i can ignore want.

Follow this advice people your significant other will love you for it, i swear (now upgrades thats a different matter).

I'd love to hear a sound clip of it all robb so i can compare it with my sound and see which bits i'll steal. :D

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

i already owe the board some clips of the peavey grind ntb5 bxp that i'm selling. i'm going to record it and then put a fresh set of hartke strings on it and record it again. then it will be shipped off to the buyer.

somewhere in all of that i'll be able to make some recordings of bass, preamp, and rig.

robb.

Yeah - it's been busy time for me. I am definitely interested.

It all sounds cool. I like the neck profile on the American Cirrus, so I'd have to try the new one to see if I like it. I will like the smaller body.

I'd never want to dissuade you from an NV610 (or HT322), but I'm looking to buy another HT112. While I like the idea of the EX112, having two HTs would give me the ability to keep them in different places, rather than have the EX always be the "second" cab. I haven't heard one and am guessing it sounds great on it's own - after I put my ears to it I'll decide.

I share your thoughts about the rack. As I consider what to do for my rig, I keep thinking I should get a complete unit so I don't have this big clunky box to haul. I still have some shopping and testing to do, so I don't know what I'll end up with...

All the best on your new rig!

Robb - just what I needed - another handle. I like the TscheckyC thing though..

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

While I like the idea of the EX112, having two HTs would give me the ability to keep them in different places, rather than have the EX always be the "second" cab. I haven't heard one and am guessing it sounds great on it's own - after I put my ears to it I'll decide.

I'd agree with that Tom, for three reasons. Most importantly, it's really useful having two identical cabs (especially if they're pretty hi-fi) as you can keep one at home and one at your rehearsal space to save cartage. Secondly, because you can use the matched pair as a small PA system (or even as a big stereo for parties :) ). And thirdly, because the non-crossed over highs from the EX112's woofer may not blend as seamlessly with the highs from the HT112's tweeter, so you may lose a smidgeon of clarity.

Alex

an unfortunate update

bliss will have to be abated for another week. i ordered a pro 7200; today i received a legacy pro 7001. the pro 7001, while offering comparable power and 1.4V sensitivity, weighs 52 lbs. so i am in the process of getting it sent back and having the right amp sent out. thank God that Crest sent me a receipt -- i haven't gotten a single receipt from peavey for my employee purchases.

as for the HT/EX debate, i have gone to both sides. i will have to determine what i need at the time of purchase. with my new, bright bass, i have turned the tweeter attenuator very close to off as it is, so i may go with an EX. hard to say until it's time to buy. perhaps if i'm going for a bigger rig it's because i have a roadie and can handle an NV215. :eek:

robb.

For what it's worth, I think I would get n EX to go along with my HT112 if I needed another cab. I also have the tweeter turned fairly low. I would only use the EX in connection with the HT as a stack so I don't think I'd worry too much about only having one tweeter.

Of course, I don't leave one here and one there so my use is different than yours might be.

Update:

Thanks to that meddling, no-good Getz76. He wrote me that BassNW had a used EX112 on sale. I say "had" because I bought the thing today. I've been saving for an amp, and the fund is just about wiped out. Bet the price was too good to pass up.

When it arrives at the end of the week, I'll give you my opinion on the EX/HT thing.

Robb - sorry about the mixup. Hope the new amp comes soon.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Update:

Thanks to that meddling, no-good Getz76. He wrote me that BassNW had a used EX112 on sale.

What are friends for? :D

If it makes you feel better, I spent over $100 more for a new one at the SAME retailer less than a month prior! ;)

I borrowed a BXT at the store I teach durring a few lessons on Saturday. Not a cirrus I suppose, but had lots of cool features. It was a 5 that played very well. Lots of tone shaping, good color. I thought it was at least $900. Low and behold, I can't recall the retail, but the asking was $200. The only thing I don't like about some cirrus are the "B" is closer in spacing than the rest of the strings. I know there's supposed to be some logic in that, but I forgot what was said about the concept.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Update:

Thanks to that meddling, no-good Getz76. He wrote me that BassNW had a used EX112 on sale. I say "had" because I bought the thing today.

Wow. Capasso pulled the trigger and made a GAS-related purchase! :eek:

Who's behind it? Maury "the Motivator"! :eek:

Is the Apocalypse around the corner? Has hell suddenly gone icy? :D

Congrats, Tom!

bliss will have to be abated for another week. i ordered a pro 7200; today i received a legacy pro 7001.

That's a shame. Really. :(

I hope it comes before the impending apocalypse set in motion by Capasso making a gear purchase! :eek::D

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

i got it! it's awesome and looks just like this:

http://www.crestaudio.com/images/fullsize/CFA-7200-AB.jpg.

the LEDs are seriously bright, and the green is a natural green, not bright alien green like most green LEDs. yes, i'm in love like i knew i would be. i'm getting up at 3am to start the drive home, so i probably won't be able to plug this in until monday. but at least i have it now and i can start concentrating on playing again.

on a side note, i played through my friend's GK 400RB at rehearsal last night. i was ambivalent about it with my plywood P, but with the cirrus BXP it's very sweet. the 18V preamp really drives its preamp, and i realized the boost knob stays clean as long as the preamp is clean, too. it was severely loud, and much louder than i had ever gotten it to go before. and it was always clean. i think i'm in love. i may have to find one used for cheap.

robb.

• 1 year later...

[uPDATE]

i am still playing with the same rig. i have barely entertained the notion of changing. i still wish i could have an EX-112, but i have much more responsible uses for the money. also, it's much harder now to find a chrome one to match my HT-112. i'll bet i could twist Jim's arm when the time comes.

the only other addendum i have to add is that i modded the quadruplet to double the output. that way i can actually drive the amplifier to full power. which, with only one channel driven is actually about 625W into 8 Ohms. in practice, i keep the input attenuator at -6dB, the preamp volume knob around 5, and the bass volume knob down. at a gig, i'll have to keep the preamp below about 8 -- it doesn't sound happy at a full 625W. but i can hear myself much better now, and i am afraid of how loud i'd be with a 4 Ohm load from an HT/EX stack. even powered by one channel, let alone one channel per speaker.

so take that, Jeremy. i've had the same rig for 14 months.

robb.

Archived