Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long have u ever played straight?

i just got back from a local outdoor weekly festival kinda thing. bands play on the stage, and people sit around and generally hang out. the band that was playing i realized was up there a very long time. they played for about 4 1/2 hours with only 3 20 minute breaks. so i was wondering, how long have you, or any body else played (practice or gig) straight?

:)

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My blues/rock band at university used to quite long sets of around and hour and a half. (Most bookings were for one set a night.) No standing still, lots of sweat and suits.
Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Playing three ninety minute sets in bars is not all that uncommon. Been there, done that many times. Twenty or so years ago when I lived in Alaska, standard bar gigs up there were six hours per night, five or six nights a week. Typically you'd start with a one hour set and follow with five fourty five minute sets, with fifteen minute breaks. I've done two and a half hour concert sets a few times.

The longest I've ever played with no break was five hours. It was for the local portion of a telethon fundraiser. Three other bands didn't show and our fearless leader decided to play straight through. Good thing I believe in supporting Jerry's kid's... :D

Later..................

well my band has one bar we play that once we start we don't stop until the cops show up. usually 4 1/2 to five hours. this place has a couple of bars in the area so once you stop the people will leave to check out the other bars. so we don't stop. it keeps the club packed, the bar sells more booze and we get a fat bonus on top of the usual flat rate. :thu: usually i don't even notice the time and i still wanna play more

Yeah, a typical gig around here involves a 90-minute set followed by four 45-minute sets:

Set 1: 9:00 - 10:30

Break 10:30 - 10:45

Set 2: 10:45 - 11:30

Break 11:30 - 11:45

Set 3: 11:45 - 12:30

Break 12:30 - 12:45

Set 4: 12:45 - 1:30

I private practice (as in by myself, not with my band) I've been known to play and sing for 4-5 hours straight.

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

i just got back from a local outdoor weekly festival kinda thing. bands play on the stage, and people sit around and generally hang out. the band that was playing i realized was up there a very long time. they played for about 4 1/2 hours with only 3 20 minute breaks. so i was wondering, how long have you, or any body else played (practice or gig) straight?

That's an average night for a cover band. Weeeeee!

Sometimes, my personal practice time can be 4+ hours per day. It all depends on what I'm working on, how into it I am, and whether or not my scedule permits devoting that much time to practice. In college, 3-4 hours was my average practice day. I miss those days.

Several times I've done 5-hour stretches in rehearsal with the band. The studio was more or less three consecutive 8-hour days with little 1- and 2-minute breaks all over, and then a lunch break.

Our last two shows have been ~2 and a half hours straight. We almost got up for another 45 minutes after a 15-minute break on Friday night, but the owner gave last call on the drinks (it was 1am) because the club has an outdoor patio and it was looking to rain again soon.

Originally posted by ClarkW:

Several times I've done 5-hour stretches in rehearsal with the band. The studio was more or less three consecutive 8-hour days with little 1- and 2-minute breaks all over, and then a lunch break.

What I hate about the studio is the little 1-minute breaks.

I've done long stretches of writing with a band. That can be painful but with the right amount of work, can pain good dividends.

I've only played a couple of multi-set gigs. It can be fun, and not that much of a hurdle if you have good technique and have rehearsed the material. I get kind of bummed about the showcase gigs I tend to do; 1-hour flys by when you're playing.

When I was in college I used to practice 6 to 8 hours a night. (Didn't sleep much then). That was mostly guitar. Towards my senior year, I maintained the same schedule and incorporated more instruments, kinda like cross-training.

About the same time, my friends band would have a 'Farm Jam' on an old farm in the middle of no-where. We would have about 20 musicians at a given weekend and would jam for hours. I miss those days.

We typically play three sets from 10 pm to 2 am with two 20 min breaks inbetween, but sometimes stretch out or shorten the last set, depending on howmany people are still in the bar.

Sounds like a lot of bands have to play a lot longer each night, so now I don't feel so bad.

But isn't it funny how time seems to compress when you're playing? Whether I'm practicing, working in the studio, or playing a club gig, time always seems to fly by twice as fast to me while playing. Anybody else get this sense of compressed time while playing?

Archived