Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone here sign prenuptual agreements?

how did you do it without her calling off the marriage. It not a question of trust. Any fool knows that over half of all new marriages end in divorce, and a painful divorce at that.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't - I though I was getting screwed when I got divorced, but I ended up benefiting from the way the law works, and you could say she sort of got 'screwed' (not really, but according to her she did). My marriage ended after a year and half, and even though I lost some money in the deal, I wasn't even close to getting as screwed as I originally though. What are you worried about? This is a tricky issue. US Laws don't let her have a share of what you have before you got married,if that's what you're worried about. Talk to a lawyer. Know what your right are if things go wrong. It doens't hurt to do some homework.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'm kind of wondering if I should do the same. The ring is on her finger, vows could come soon. Check [url=http://www.nolo.com/]this[/url] out. They have books on everything legal, and were banned for a bit in Texas so you know it has to be good. :D
-David R.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]My theory is, if you have to worry about a prenup., maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Matt[/b][/quote]Yeah, that's totally obvious. If you truly love someone, you trust them. If you don't know what they're going to do in the future - you don't truly love them, do you? There's no "but"s about it. The problem is that today that's such a fanciful notion it's not even considered in the equation. If there's some semblance of a reason for NOT being married in the future, then the whole concept doesn't make any sense. Which is probably doesn't anymore, in a practical manner these days. I have yet to see one that has worked outside of my parent's generation, and I can't imagine it myself.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

<< ....and I can't imagine it myself.>> If you can't imagine it, it will never happen. If you allow that shadow of doubt to enter the equation of marriage (or anything), you are already 'behind the 8 ball'. -Never take too light the power of suggestion and self-fulfilling prophecy. It sounds like voodoo, but the older I get the more I believe this is true. Think about this, if in your mind you are convinced something will not work out, you will have to prove yourself wrong to make it happen. Nobody wants to prove themselves wrong, therefore what you think will eventually be the fact. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]My theory is, if you have to worry about a prenup., maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Matt[/b][/quote]:thu: Marriage is [i]supposed[/i] to last for the rest of your and/or your spouse's life... If for some reason you can't see that happening, you'd be better off with any other arrangement than marriage... IMO, of course. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b] If you can't imagine it, it will never happen. If you allow that shadow of doubt to enter the equation of marriage (or anything), you are already 'behind the 8 ball'. -Never take too light the power of suggestion and self-fulfilling prophecy. It sounds like voodoo, but the older I get the more I believe this is true. Think about this, if in your mind you are convinced something will not work out, you will have to prove yourself wrong to make it happen. Nobody wants to prove themselves wrong, therefore what you think will eventually be the fact. [/b][/quote]I have to disagree with you Matt. It takes two to make a marriage work. It may never cross YOUR mind, but it may cross HERS. (Don't mean to make it sound personal, it's just the point I'm trying to make) I can say it had never crossed my mind. Didn't stop it from happening, though.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]My theory is, if you have to worry about a prenup., maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Matt[/b][/quote]I don't agree fully with the prenup, but I do tell people to their homework. 5 years ago I would never have though about, but, oh well. I got married with the attitude that it would never happen to me, no matter what. I'm glad I got a bit wiser. Sounds like you have a happy marriage, I wish you all the best. :thu: But.... bad things happen to good people who do the right thing (or who think they do the right thing), and in retrospect, thinking that there's a possibility that it may go wrong is part of human nature, I think, and doesn't necessarily put you in a mindset that will lead the marriage to fail.

MBP-LOGIC

I'm still wondering for the people who said they would, or did, what you included (or would include) in your prenup agreement.

MBP-LOGIC

Just give up any sense of money or wealth when you marry her. Let her have everything, including control over all the bills. If's she's as good as my wife is with the bills, if you ever split, there will be nothing left to fight over. :D Oh, and don't get divorced in any state that has alimony.
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived