Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Major travesty turned worse

Jimbroni

Ok. I had the worst practice in the history of practices. We had taken a two week break for summer vacation. Our first practice all together was last night. Even though over the past two week I've intermmittedly jammed with Chris my drummer. I thought I totally prepared to come back from break stronger than ever as I've been working some new ideas and have practiced them quite alot. Well, I didn't get a chance to show it off at all. In fact, I had a hell of time even playing. See it started with me stepping on my cable near the amp. The cable was shot. So I tried a new one well it was cutting in and out also. So I tried a third one it was fine, and we started a grooving countrifried blues jam, then my amp just stopped dead nothing WTF. I wanted to cry. So I sucked it up plugged into my SGX nightbass pre which is hooked into the PA. The sound of that rig brought back awful tonal memories. Yuck. I made it through the first session. Then we took our halftime break, and We decided to just experiment since everything was kinda screwed.

So our guitarist hooked up a lofi microphone into a digital delay. The drummer played on our stand up percusssion kit, which is a jaw dropper kit. And I played my EMU vintage pro rack and keyboard.

My keyboard has programmable sliders and knobs, which I have set up to pull all kind of crazy moog like sounds. The guitarist with mic was singing notes into the mic and micing various hand percussion beats and looping them with the delay pedal. We proceded like this for like an hour and 20 or so. What a blast. Anyway now reality is hitting me. What am I going to do? My amp is my baby. Its an Eden Metro 2x10 350 watt. I'm gonna tear it down tonight and see if its the fuse, if its not that maybe the input jack got tweaked when I stepped on the cord. I hope its one of these two as I'm not sure its still under warranty from guitar center. Does anybody know if Eden has a lifetime warranty?

Has anybody heard if Eden Metro combos have had quality problems? I'm trying not to panic here.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I'm dying over here. Actually, I just went on wild goose chase. As it turns out I found a blown fuse in speaker cab. However, after calling Eden customer service, they told me that its not actually a fuse but a car dome light acting as a fuse. Strange? Nonetheless its a 24v 18w dome light. So I went around to different auto stores and hardware stores and found nada. Except the logic that cars run off 12v. So how can there be a 24v dome light? I called them back and found out I can order the part from for six bucks each. Whatever as I long I have my baby back. I gotta til monday to order, because everybody left for the day. :mad:

Still I'm just a little nervous as to why the fuse blew in the first place, but it being a light bulb would explain why it cut in and out for a little while first.

Ahhhooooom. ahhhhhoooomm ahhhhhooooom

Must let go and relax now.

My Current Project

umm i knew they had cowboy builders and cowboy movers, plummers etc but i'd never heard of a cowboy amp maker. Did you ask if you could have a reason for them using a light as a fuse, i wonder if you could replace it with a normal fuse?

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

well i think thats stupid.

a light a fuse.

Shouldn't a fuse be used as a fuse?

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I'm dying over here. Actually, I just went on wild goose chase. As it turns out I found a blown fuse in speaker cab. However, after calling Eden customer service, they told me that its not actually a fuse but a car dome light acting as a fuse. Strange? Nonetheless its a 24v 18w dome light. So I went around to different auto stores and hardware stores and found nada. Except the logic that cars run off 12v. So how can there be a 24v dome light? I called them back and found out I can order the part from for six bucks each. Whatever as I long I have my baby back. I gotta til monday to order, because everybody left for the day. :mad:

Still I'm just a little nervous as to why the fuse blew in the first place, but it being a light bulb would explain why it cut in and out for a little while first.

Ahhhooooom. ahhhhhoooomm ahhhhhooooom

Must let go and relax now.

Aren't big trucks and diesals 24v. maybe you could try your local NAPA or call around to a truck parts place.

Good luck

As with any instrument, the limits are your imagination. Bob Weir Relix magazine Feb. 82

Originally posted by zeronyne:

There is functionally no difference between a light bulb and a fuse. It's all just a matter of preset tolerances.
Actually, the difference is in the resistance between fuses and light bulb. A fuse will usually have a much lower resistance, <1 ohm. In the case of a 24 volt, 18 watt light bulb, using Ohm's law we have: E^2/P=R, which is 24^2/18=32 ohms. My guess is that it's used to limit current to the speakers, while still handling momentary spikes that that could pop a regular fuse.

Glad you found the problem tho....

You should be able to find that bulb at Napa. They use them on the big trucks.

Rock on.......

Originally posted by Raven:

Originally posted by zeronyne:

There is functionally no difference between a light bulb and a fuse. It's all just a matter of preset tolerances.
Actually, the difference is in the resistance between fuses and light bulb.....
Of course, you are correct. I was drastically, and inaccurately, simplifying. Sorry.

"For instance" is not proof.

No reason to be sorry zeronyne, ....and I apologize if it sounded like I was criticizing your statement, :o I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way.... :eek: I was only trying to expand on the concept.... I'll never intentionally post anything to down someone else.

I guess its just the teacher in me coming out :rolleyes:

Rock on.........

Jimbroni- Eden is good gear- and a light bulb can be a fuse. OT- Back in the 70's I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska as a helicopter mechanic. Military vehicles run on 24 volts, mostly to keep the troops from rebuilding their personal vehicles, and a few of us were co-owners of a 1960 Cadillac Ambulance- like the hearse but white. Anyway, we made it run on 24 volts and rigged it up with aircraft lights including a spotlight from a huey. We were quite a sight to see go by in the long cold arctic night.

www.ethertonswitch.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had to order the fuses from eden. 6 bucks each. :mad: Its been 1 week and 1 day since I ordered. They said 2 days. :mad: I called today, somebody forgot to process the shipper, but they didn't forget to charge my credit card.

:mad:

All this sucks, because we're wanting to start hanging at this open mike in Ypsilanti, to meet some people and break into a little jam scene thats been going on out there. I don't want to take my rack and PA just so I can have a bass amp.

We were planning on a stripped down couple of shows to show what we got, before we bring out the secret weopons. This is driving me nutty.

My Current Project

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

Well I had to order the fuses from eden. 6 bucks each. :mad:

A lot of cabs use these tweeter protection bulbs, though they're normally standard automotive bulbs. I used to blow the bulbs in my Acmes once every few gigs and it drove me mad because you have to remove the grill (5 screws) and the upper woofer (9 screws) to replace them.

It turned out the problem was twofold - my Mackie M1400 was running out of power and hitting the limiters and putting out excess high end - getting a more powerful amp solved that. Secondly, US car bulbs are brighter (i.e. they handle more power) than UK bulbs. I, of course, replaced the bulbs with the UK equivalent and they just weren't up the the job.

Last time I bought some stuff from the USA I got a box of the correct bulbs but (fingers crossed) I haven't blown a single bulb since moving to the QSC, and I'm using way more effects than I used to and using just the one cab.

Power is good!

Alex

P.S. You could try a Hummer dealership for the 24V bulbs as the original Hummer has 24V electrics (not the H2, that's a faux-Hummer!)

Update - I finally got my fuses. :cry:

It didn't fix the problem, well speakers work now, but only the preamp is working. The Power section isn't powering up. So all you hear is really light sounds coming out, no juice. Now what?

I have my receipt and am going to guitar center today to see if its under warranty. I don't think it is, and not sure even if it is I want to give them my amp so it goes in the guitar center blackhole and then like months later I get it back. Would they give me a loner? There are few good techs in town, who will be able to fix it and because they are small I'll know where to go and where my amp will be, but then I know I'm paying and probably not getting a loner. I guess I'll call Eden as well but they'll give me the run around most likely.

Just shoot me and put me out my misery. :(

My Current Project

The lightbulb in your Eden cab is a commercial 'aircraft' duty lightbulb. Eden uses a high quality aircraft lightbulb as an excellent form of slow-blow fuse.

I have powered my 4 ohm/250 watt Eden D210T cab with my 540 watt GK 1001RB head, and have never blown the bulb, but I have seen it light up the inside of the cab once. Kind of freaky.

If you call a local aircraft maintenance company, they can probably supply you with a bulb exactly like the one in your combo's speaker cab. Heck, they may even give you a couple for free.

Curious...

Did you try running the Eden's amp section through another speaker cab?!

Did you try running another amp through the Eden's speakers?!

You say there are just 'very light sounds' coming out. Are you sure you don't have a wire that's come off one of the woofers, either at the woofer poles or at the crossover? This would also explain why your lightbulb fuse blew in the first place. If one of the woofer leads suddenly fell off while you were playing at high volume, it would cause a surge to the tweeter's protective lighbulb.

Alex,

Yeah I just found that this morning also. My amp was purchased on 12/20/02. So I might be OK. I saw in the extended warranty section the that warranty is only one year. So I'm hoping that's something else. I think they called it a factory warranty as where the two year is a limited warranty. I don't know what the difference is.

It doesn't matter even if I have to pay its getting fixed.

I hope I can get a loner. Running out the PA sucks. Not only does my tone suffer but everything else in the board suffers also.

Its just hard to come to grips with all this.

My Current Project

Archived