Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! Which of these Bass Rigs for both Live&Practice (headphones)?

skier4467

I've narrowed my choices to either:

1) Korg AX10B multipedal,

2) Korg Pandora PX4B,

3) Roland DB500 amp,

4) Ashdown Electric Blue & Digitech BP50.

I have back problems and am not too sure I'll want to store and lug a bass amp. Not much room in my apt. But can I get choice 1 or 2 and join a band as a bassist w/0 an amp?? I'd go into their PA but that is relying on them to have a decent PA. So maybe I should bite the bullet and get an amp. I'm confused! The AX10B seems to be good for both live and practice although it doesn't have drums or aux in recording like the Pandora.

The ROland gets great reviews but it is the most expensive option. However, if I could use it for vocals in a pinch or keys down the road then maybe that would work.

The Asddown doesn't have a headphones jack but it is cheap enough that i can get a cheap Digitech BP50 for practice.

What's your vote!? Help me decide. I've got a $400 budget and I want to do this this week and start practicing auditioning for bass in bands.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, dude...you won't get much work if you don't own an amp. Walking into an audition saying "I didn't bring an amp and I don't want one because I have a bad back, can I go through the PA?" won't get you many gigs...especially if the band doesn't own a PA in the first place...

$400 isn't much money...I would save and buy something loud enough. You'll need at least 300 Watts to compete with the volume of the average drummer. If they're below average, you can expect them to be even louder. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

$400 isn't much money...I would save and buy something loud enough. You'll need at least 300 Watts to compete with the volume of the average drummer. If they're below average, you can expect them to be even louder. :D

Generally I agree. However, you might be able to get away with fewer than 300W.

Some ideas on combos that might cut it for you (all 1x15s; I think between 150W-200W), and probably could be found used or new within or close to your $400 cap:

Peavey TNT 115

Carvin PB200-15

SWR Workingman's 15

Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180

On eBay right now there are two Nemesis 4x10 combo amps -- one currently at $375 and the other at $400 w/ a "buy it now" of $475. I think they're about 200W, but you'll have great speaker surface area w/ the four 10" speakers, so this might be a solid choice. Other Nemesis combos might be available used within your budget -- the 2x10 or 1x15 combos might also work for you. Also, the Nemesis combos are lightweight compared to others of similar power and configuration!

Now, here's my gross generalization: 300W-400W into a 4x10 cab can get you through almost all playing situations. This is hard to do for $400 and if you're more of a beginning player (we have no idea) you may not want to shell out bigger bucks initially.

As for the bad back -- bass rigs on a budget will tend to be large. Casters, dollies, and carts are your friends. First floor storage is your friend. Hopefully your future bandmates will help you carry stuff. Small but loud bass rigs will tend to be expensive.

Lastly, you may want to try a search for "combo amps" or similar to see what info there is in past threads.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived