Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing Benefits/Fund Raisers...

JBFLA

I got a call from a guitarist friend of mine in re: a benefit for a local shop owner. He has the best place in town for out-of-print vinyl and CD recordings, especially older jazz recordings; and he is a BIG supporter of local bands and live music. Unfortunately, he's been diagnosed with cancer, and doesn't have the scratch to pay the bills.

I can't refuse most benefits (unless I'm already booked), and this is a great opportunity to give back.

Tho' this particular one is a sure thing, I've had to refuse on a few others; and felt some sense of guilt when I've had to say "Sorry, can't make it. I'd have done it if possible, but..."

Question is - How do you respond when you can't make the gig, without feeling guilty? I know that most musicians understand the premise of 'prior commitments', but the desire to support those who support us is undeniable. It's a tough situation (for all concerned)...

The "Looking for your $0.02" -

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve-

That's been my response, but it doesn't necessarily relieve the guilt (or my desire) to help. But, we can't be all places at all times, I 'spose.

Off Topic - Did you wear that 'Kobe' Jersey downtown B'Ham? T minus 4 hours 'til the Pistons wrap it up (or head back to LaLa land to finish the deal). My hometown friend says - "NO less than $1500 for a ticket tonight - cheap seats!".

I'll be cheering on from the Big Screen...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Jim ..you can always make a donation towards the cause...they are basically looking to raise some cash so I am sure they would understand your schedule conflict...

www.danielprine.com

When we're asked to do a benefit and are unable to, I give them the reason. I will generally offer to donate signed band merchandise (shirts, cds, pics, etc) for them to raffle off in lieu of a performance. I also give the event a big write up on the band's website and in our newsletter. That way the band is still showing it's support for the cause even if we can't be there in person.
Later..................

Archived