Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about adding a second tone pot.

ian101

I am thinking about adding a tone pot to my Ibanez and had a question.

Do I need to run a ground to the new pot? I have noticed in a lot of wiring diagrams that the tone pot has the ground wire going from the bottom of the pot to one of the prongs(with a capacitor in the middle) and nowhere else.

I was just going to run the ground off of the bottom of the first tone pot two the bottom of the new one. Then I am going to connect a capacitor from the bottom of the new pot to the appropriate prong.

Do I even need to run the ground between the pots?

I'm adding the second pot in series with hopes of creating a two band EQ. I'm going to drop the capacitor size on the first pot to .022 or smaller and make the new one .069. I think it will turn out pretty good.

Thanks

"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ian101:

I'm adding the second pot in series with hopes of creating a two band EQ.

Not sure on the grounding. However, I don't see how you can create two band EQ with just tone pots and capacitors. You need inductors as well to do anything other than HF rolloffs. I guess you'll end up with different slopes and knee points depending on capacitor and pot value, but it'll have to be pretty extreme to get a noticeable difference. Worth a try though!

Alex

Yeah, I was thinking the range wouldn't be all that much with capacitors that close in size.

I'll probably try out different sizes until I get a good range.

"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

the reason that most diagrams just show it running to ground is that it is assumed that ground is common. the shielding in the control cavity is conductive. when you put your new tone pot into the cavity the outer jacket should be grounded. use a multi-meter to check. it could save you the extra wire. that is why everything is grounded to the outer jackets of the existing pots.

Archived