Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential Paul McCartney

DJ-Wood

Hello,

Odd as this may sound, I've never really listened to the Beatles.

(That really does sound odd, doesn't it?!)

Its true though, I'm aware of their well known hits, but I've never listened to a Beatles album.

My bass tutor cites Paul McCartney as being one of his major influences, and has said that he finds his basslines to be incredibly tasteful and melodic.

Would anyone out there maybe like to complile their 'top ten' of Maccas best ever basslines (note, not 'best Beatles songs') that I can check out?

Would be very interested to read anyones responses, and reasons for their choices!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of people here will eventually direct you to the Beatles albums that best showcase his talent (and I have no problem with that approach-I have as much respect for the Beatles as anyone), so I'll go in a different direction to add a bit of variety.

Go get a Wings greatest hits/compilation album.

Same player, only that much more mature, and he has even more control (hey, it's his band) over the music. I have both Wings Greatest and Wingspan. I don't usually recommend "Greatest Hits" albums, but 70s radio was unique, IMO, in that there wasn't as much specialization back then; you could hear Led Zeppelin, Kenny Rogers, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Parliament/Funkadelic and Pure Prairie League in the same hour on the same station. Also, the best songs were also the most popular songs back then.

Thats an interesting point, LaCosaNostradamus. I thought about mentioning 'Wings' in my original post (I am really ignorant about their music, do I sound crass and obvious if I say that 'Live and Let Die' is absolutely fantastic?!)

Another reason that I'm interestd to know more is that McCartney rates Jamerson as a major influence (and Jamerson is probably my all time favourite bassist), and yet I can't remember ever listening to a Beatles song and being 'struck' by the bassline, in the same way that a Jamerson line can just grab me by the scruff of the neck. I guess I just need to pay more attention!

Originally posted by LaCosaNostradamus:

Plenty of people here will eventually direct you to the Beatles albums that best showcase his talent (and I have no problem with that approach-I have as much respect for the Beatles as anyone), so I'll go in a different direction to add a bit of variety.

Go get a Wings greatest hits/compilation album.

Same player, only that much more mature, and he has even more control (hey, it's his band) over the music. I have both Wings Greatest and Wingspan. I don't usually recommend "Greatest Hits" albums, but 70s radio was unique, IMO, in that there wasn't as much specialization back then; you could hear Led Zeppelin, Kenny Rogers, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Parliament/Funkadelic and Pure Prairie League in the same hour on the same station. Also, the best songs were also the most popular songs back then.

anyhow, here's my fave list, in no specific order, and it could change at any time, once I go back and dig out my Beatles vinyl.

1.Another Day (This one's definitely my #1)

She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window (2nd verse, especially)

Listen To What The Man Said

Goodnight Tonight

Something

Paperback Writer

Silly Love Songs

Take It Away

With A Little Help From My Friends

With A Little Luck

My Love

Band On The Run

As a cohesive musical and bass statement, I think McCartney's playing on Sgt Pepper is awesome. Great tone, feel and ideas.

And nice and loud in the mix (apparently it was mixed without the bass in the mix so that it was 'peaking' (on the VU meters) at -3dB and then the bass fader brought up until the whole mix was was 0dB).

Alex

Originally posted by DJ-Wood:

Thats an interesting point, LaCosaNostradamus. I thought about mentioning 'Wings' in my original post (I am really ignorant about their music, do I sound crass and obvious if I say that 'Live and Let Die' is absolutely fantastic?!)

Nah. Even tho it's not one of my faves, everyone has an opinion, and they're all valid.

Another reason that I'm interestd to know more is that McCartney rates Jamerson as a major influence (and Jamerson is probably my all time favourite bassist), and yet I can't remember ever listening to a Beatles song and being 'struck' by the bassline, in the same way that a Jamerson line can just grab me by the scruff of the neck. I guess I just need to pay more attention![/QB]
I grew up with Wings (I'm 40), but was never struck by a Paul bassline until I started playing bass almost ten years out of high school. Same with Jamerson- which is strange because I WAS struck, even back then, by the lines Willie Weeks played with Donny Hathaway, and those Chuck Rainey did with Roberta Flack (especially "Reverend Lee").

Listen to the medley on side 2 of "Abbey Road"...beginning with "Sun King". "Something" (already mentioned) on side 1 is phenomenal. Simple basslines, you won't hear Jaco-isms or slapping funk...but, the bass defines the song. I've played "Something" in bands before where the bass player just sorta followed the changes. Then he really learns the song and what a difference!

Another good one..."Lucy In The Sky" off Sgt. Pepper.

Little bit of trivia for non-Beatlephiles...

McCartney was originally a co-lead guitarist with George Harrison. They couldn't find a bass player after Sutcliffe quit (and he wasn't very good anyway). McCartney was struck by how much the bass line could define the song...and thus was born arguably one of the most influential bassists in pop music.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

All The Beatles albums are essential, quite apart from the bass playing. Asking which one to get, IMO, is like saying "I'm starting a classical music collection, which of Beethoven's symphonies should I buy?".

But if you are only going to buy one, I'd get "Abbey Road". Most of the tunes on it have been mentioned at one time or another above. The bass line on "Something" may be my favourite melodic bassline ever.

I know I will repeat some that have been mentioned, but here is my favorite list of tunes that I think of when trying to define Macca's bass playing:

All My Loving

And Your Bird Can Sing

If I Needed Someone

Rain

Nowhere Man

Penny Lane

A Little Help From My Friends

Lovely Rita

Something

Here Comes the Sun

There are more I could come up with, but these are the one's that scream McCartney when I think about the bass line.

I would get the following four albums to hear the best of his bass playing:

Sgt Pepper

Abbey Road

Revolver

Rubber Soul

I deliberately didn't include any post Beatles stuff because (to me) his bass playing, while still excellent, didn't sound as unique as it did with the Beatles. There are a couple of exceptions that do come to mind, the bass lines on "Silly Love Songs" and "My Brave Face." :thu:

My two cents.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by DJ-Wood:

...Another reason that I'm interestd to know more is that McCartney rates Jamerson as a major influence (and Jamerson is probably my all time favourite bassist)...

Check out the bass line from "Everybody's Got Something to Hide, Except Me and My Monkey" on the White Album. There is a bass guitar break toward the end of the song that has Jamerson written all over it. I think I once read an article where McCartney talked about pinching that bit from Jamerson. To me it sounds very similar to a riff in the Temptations' "I'll Be There."

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Basically everything he's recorded? ;)

A quick Beatles list off the top of my head:

Something

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Here Comes the Sun

Lovely Rita

I Saw Her Standing There

Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds

Dear Prudence

I've got so many favorites to cite. As far as an album goes, I'd definitely mention Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The bass lines on that record are some of the best if you're looking at the entire album.

For some individual songs:

"Penny Lane"

"Something"

"Come Together"

"Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey"

"Rain"

"Your mother should know"

"I want you (She's so heavy)"

"Old Brown Shoe"

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Wingspan: "Wings--Hits and History" is a brilliant compilation.

Coming out of the 60s, Macca had a cash flow problem for a while. Plus, damn it, he still felt like getting out and playing some music.

But what was he to do? How do you follow up being a Beatle? You form another band, that's how--what else can you possibly do?

At the time, I didn't realize what a really good band Wings was--although they certainly had their share of commercial success in the 70s!

There was a TV documentary that was released at the same time this compilation was. Watching it, I was struck by what a great bunch of songs they played. I always loved those songs!

here are the top 10 songs of the beatles you would like to listen

1. something

2. hey bulldog

3. taxman

4. lucy in the sky with diamonds

5. come together

6. silly love song

7. i want you (she so heavy)

8. it's only a northen song

9. she said

10. got to get you into my life

get inspired play with a wig and a hofner beatle bass kalas! :thu:

"all the world indeed a stage" Limelight-RUSH

Dear Prudence

Something - the bass line is really like a second melody. Just wonderful.

Silly Love Songs - great bass line

Don't Let Me Down - kind of like Something but not quite as good.

If Your Bird Can Sing

Rain

Archived