Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who played bass on Stand By Me?

sprog

Does anyone know who played the classic bass line on the Ben E King single from 1961? I've been trying to find out online and there's no information anywhere about the original bassist on that record. I need to know for a piece I'm writing for a magazine in the UK. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben E. King recorded on Atlantic Records so that rules out Kaye and Jamerson.

Duck didn't list it in his discography.

Maybe it was David Hood? There were a variety of bassists working at Atlantic in the 60's.

Interesting question.

Whoever came up with this line, it's catchy enough that people still want to learn it over 40 years later, even though the song itself is sort of boring. :bor:

Or maybe I think it's boring because I've played it so often that I could play it in my sleep.

And I probably have played it in my sleep on one of those two four hour gigs in one day days. "wake up, Jeremy, it's time for the next song!"

Last time I worked a cruise ship the band leader used "Stand By Me" as a bass feature. You HAD TO play 2 busy slap solos :( (intro and coda) once a week. It was murder. No wonder I only lasted 6 months.

Originally posted by tnb:

Last time I worked a cruise ship the band leader used "Stand By Me" as a bass feature. You HAD TO play 2 busy slap solos :( (intro and coda) once a week...

I'm having a real hard time imagining how "busy slap solo" and "Stand By Me" work together in the same sentence.
- Matt W.

Matt said:

I'm having a real hard time imagining how "busy slap solo" and "Stand By Me" work together in the same sentence.

Me too, but I did it. Some weeks it was good, other weeks... :rolleyes:

BWAHAHAHAHAH! :D

Good god almighty, I'd pay to see the look on your face when the bandleader made that request of you and you realized he wasn't kidding.

If there's one thing in the universe that must be stopped, it's people requesting that bassists slap in the most inappropriate of places.

Ben Loy

This is OT but I tried emailing you a response to club date question a few times last week and I kept getting message saying your mailbox was full and to try later. Didn't want you to think I blew you off.

Archived