Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's bait Cereal until he posts #2000

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Bobro that's insane. Must not have been the real deadly nightshade. I once ate part of the flower arrangement at a restaurant on Block Island.[/b][/quote]Hehe, I doubt very much if was real deadly nightshade in retrospect. Who knows? Survival instinct is really strong, it could have given me subconscious wisdom about ignorance or jive, maybe I knew in my heart it was unripe blackberries or something. And allergies and reactions are bizarre- I had heavy breathing allergies as a kid but poison oak never did one damn thing, probably could have used it as toilet paper. :confused: Anyway when the poets go on about cupid's arrows and all that corny stuff, probably most people can think of some incredibly stupid things they've done. :D -Bobro

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Ah yes... belladonna (deadly nightshade). Frequently used in witches' rituals. The alkaloid in the plant is a poison, but in very small doses it won't kill you, it will just dilate your pupils (it's the same alkaloid used by eye doctors), make you feel a bit stoned, then make you incredibly horny. Then you fall into a very deep sleep. It's pretty powerful stuff, as I guess you found out![/b][/quote]Well that actually explains a lot more than the practical rationalizations I've come up with over the years :eek: I didn't know it was frequently used in witches rituals, I was game for anything at that point...does explain some other things, too. :) -Bobro Wait a sec- I've been reading Harry Potter, isn't there some kind of code of conduct? I mean if some Wiccan girl wants to seduce you, shouldn't she be honor-bound to announce her intent rather than just brewing up some potion and saying it's deadly poisonous nightshade, just trust me? :o Or is this some aspect of the ways of women that we poor sap men young or old will never understand?

Yes Bobro... IMO that was a VERY bad thing for that girl to have done, giving you that tea and not telling you what was going on. However this has been going on for centuries now. Yes, it is considered to be mainly a female herb, but in proper ritual use men would use it also when they wished to engage in "goddess worship". It was definitely a mutual thing. But, apparently a lot of women abused the stuff, in fact it's very probable that some of the men died of the poison after they were seduced, from too high a dose, because there was a story spread by men throughout medieval Europe to beware of the deadly nightshade. At certain times, they said, the plant would change into an irresistably beautiful woman, but anyone who made love to her would die. Definitely when using something so powerful there needs to be a code of conduct. And what's the appeal of seducing someone without their consent anyway? All I can say is, this must have been one fucked up chick. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Yes Bobro... IMO that was a VERY bad thing for that girl to have done, giving you that tea and not telling you what was going on. However this has been going on for centuries now. Yes, it is considered to be mainly a female herb, but in proper ritual use men would use it also when they wished to engage in "goddess worship". It was definitely a mutual thing. But, apparently a lot of women abused the stuff, in fact it's very probable that some of the men died of the poison after they were seduced, from too high a dose, because there was a story spread by men throughout medieval Europe to beware of the deadly nightshade. At certain times, they said, the plant would change into an irresistably beautiful woman, but anyone who made love to her would die. Definitely when using something so powerful there needs to be a code of conduct. And what's the appeal of seducing someone without their consent anyway? All I can say is, this must have been one fucked up chick. --Lee[/b][/quote]Amazing...it's one of my hobbies to google comparative religions and I never came across this until now. Sure enough, here it is all over the Net, it's actually a historical aspect of Western civilization. :o Now in retalitation for all the subtle and devious machinations of you women against us men, I'll have to say...yeah, baby, yeah! :p Well, half seriously. I didn't exactly suffer :wave: in this experience, except for feeling like a full-blown mooncalf 15 years later, but it is kind of strange thinking back. Hmm...well people are a trip.

"All right Lee. That's it, period. All this Spotting has got to stop." So Lee, did you get my pun? Hint- it's REALLY bad... I'm hoping you'll feel at least a tiny quiver of outrage... Yes, the Nightshade Family (Solanaceae) will always be able to bask in the midnight aura of it's deadly members, the deadly nightshade and tobacco, but also includes such wholesome pan-american delights as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Apparently a favorite game of the Manson gals was to get picked up by a long distance truck driver, give him some datura, and help themselves to the contents of the truck. So maybe them witches were after something else? Tedly Nightshade

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Okay...for all of you cartoon buffs... There was a cartoon where the villain (Snidely Whiplash type guy) was named "Dudley Nightshade". Anyone remember which one it was?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I found it! It was "Crusader Rabbit". [img]http://www.toontracker.com/crusader/crusader01.jpg[/img] Okay...let's match the other cartoon villains with their foils... 1. Dishonest John 2. Boris and Natasha 3. Dick Dastardly 4. Snidely Whiplash 5. Simon Bar Sinister 6. The Master Cylinder and Rock Bottom A. Underdog B. Dudley Doright C. Felix the Cat D. Beany and Cecil E. Rocky and Bullwinkle F. Wacky Racers
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b][QUOTE]Are you sure about that? I've always heard it used as another way to say goofing off. -- Rob[/b][/quote]Yes, I'm absolutely sure.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Archived