Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP!! ACTIVE PICKUPS= BATTERY DIES QUICKLY!!

Does anyone out there know if leaving my bass plugged in will drain the 9V battery. I have a Modulus Graphite Q6, and it drains the battery in about three weeks. Could it be from leaving it plugged in? Could it be from leaving the knobs up? Sure it's easy to just start unplugging it, but I want to know for sure, for the sake of knowledge. It seems a $3500bass would have some kind of bypass for that.
Every musician in this forum should read "The Mysticism of Sound and Music" by Hazrat Inayat Khan. The bible for musicians. Try to understand what compels you to make music in the first place.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own that bass but it is very common to use the "plugged in" state as the "on switch".

I think that this is an elegant solution -- much better than a switch.

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

I always 'unplug' my active bass(es) if I'm not playing/practicing...better safe than sorry.

I can't say if it's true or an 'urban myth'; but it works for me.

Hopefully, some of the more tech knowledgeable forum'ites will weigh in on this. Maybe it's a case of specific manufacturers/design ??

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Thanks all, I had figured it was that, but didn't know. Come to think of it, it is better that way. It just seems that my Carvin which I played for years, and left plugged in most of the time, had a battery that lasted. I guess it had a so-called doo-dad. Thanks.
Every musician in this forum should read "The Mysticism of Sound and Music" by Hazrat Inayat Khan. The bible for musicians. Try to understand what compels you to make music in the first place.

They are like that. Unplugging the bass turns off the preamp.

4 hours per day times 365 days per year equals 1,460 hours.

24 hours per day times 60 days equals approximately the same amount of use. (1,440 hours)

Most people don't play four hours a day and get a year or more out of a battery.

I have an active-passive switch. I assume that this turns off the preamp when in passive mode. But I unplug most of the time anyway (and if I leave it plugged in, it's only in passive mode). I had an old bass with active pickups and leaving it plugged in was the problem.

Yep, my practice habits are thusly, I play for fifteen minutes, take a crap, fifteen minutes, answer the phone, fifteen minutes, let the dog out, fifteen minutes, toke a bingload, fifteen minutes, toke another binger, fifteen minutes, You get the point. That is why it ends up staying plugged in most of the time, because I am always coming right back in a minute. Or else *gasp*, herb really does make you forget to do things.

When I put EMG's into a bass, the pickups included a new stereo 1/4 phone jack. It was a stereo jack so my chord's plug would activate the battery for the pickups.

Unplug your bass.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Archived