Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

seeking gig advice and feedback...

bassaddik

If you can find good care for the dogs, what about your reservations wrt the band leader? Again bro, What does your daughter think? Also, if the band leader heard the other guys and offered you the gig, now would be the time to ask for a single room.

www.ethertonswitch.com

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the band leader cannot negotiate a single room for me, it's ship policy and they dont care- the gig is what it is. My daughter thinks i should go , but also worries about the dogs. She will be gone to college ( moving with her aunt in Ohio)

My reservation with the band leader was that he didnt listen to bass players, he just talked to us, and may even not have talked to the other guys, the call came late last night and we had a minute to talk and i felt better about it- my roommate would be a singer that is going on at the same time i am, he is a good guy, so it seems...if he turns out to be a nut job, i may be able to room with the drummer- there is an odd number of players which means someone gets their own cabin, the leader is married to the singer, that leaves the drummer, the male singer and myself- maybe the drummer gets his own room, he has been in the group for years- i have learned not to go into a gig asking for things, if the gig offers them , great, if not, the gig is what it is, take it or leave it-- nobody likes a demanding musician. They also take taxes out, which sucks because the take home pay is much less, but i have to take care of the taxes anyway, and my calendar here is not filling up the way i want it to..so the main problem remains the dogs.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I'd much rather they take out taxes. That means they pay half (8%) of your social security. You do your own (as you know) Schedule SE makes you pay the ful 16%.

It'll be fine if you go. Might make a new friend. Play some good music. See sights.

You'll have to keep us posted from the ship's internet cafe from time to time.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

The situation with your pets is a tough one. I am an animal lover and I would be distracted worrying about the well being of the pets especially the older dog with epilepsy.

The vet scenario might be too traumatic for the dogs....

How would you feel if you left for 10 weeks and something happened to the dogs?? ( sorry had to ask )

www.danielprine.com

absolutely horrible.. but if i stay and no work turns up, can i keep my house? they could be homeless regardless.. it is tough.. way tough,, and i am working on this...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Adrian Check out the places listed here..

1. Dewey Animal Care Center

4800 West Dewey Dr

Las Vegas, NV 89118

(702) 873-3458

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Greyhound Pets Of America, NV http://www.wizard.com/gpa-nv

P.O. Box 71803

Las Vegas, NV 89117

(702) 392-5822

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. GRR,Gingers Rottie Rescue http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog/grr

2428 Valparaiso St

Las Vegas, NV 89108

702-645-8294

Secondary Email: ghanson41@aol.com

4. Heaven Can Wait Sanctuary http://www.hcws.org

PO Box 30158

Las Vegas, NV 89173

702-227-5555

5. Kc's Pug Rescue http://www.rescuepugs.com

1109 Westwood Drive

Las Vegas, NV 89102

(702) 384-1705

6. Las Vegas Pug Rescue http://members.tripod.com/~LVrescue/

3850 E Flamingo Rd, # 146

Las Vegas, NV 89121

(702) 451-9919

Secondary Email: dsdland@aol.com

7. Las Vegas Valley Humane Society

2250 E Tropicana Ave Suite 19

Las Vegas, NV 89119

(702) 434-2009

8. Nevada SPCA

4800 W. Dewey Dr., Ste. D

Las Vegas, NV 89118

702-873-SPCA

9. The Animal Foundation http://www.animalfoundation.com

655 N Mojave Road

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 384-3333

Organizations listed in this database are not accredited, inspected or endorsed by the ASPCA; they are provided to you simply as an informational resource.

www.danielprine.com

Wow Adrian.....Having read thru all the replies, I don't think you should do the gig...... not just because of the dogs,(I have 4 of my own),although that is a very inportant part of your decision, but I keep going back to what you said about the vibes you got from the band leader.....it seems your gut reaction was to turn down the gig.... I think you should follow that initial instinct. I did a cruise ship gig for 2 months once. I had misgivings about it before I took the gig. Turned out it was the worst gig I've ever done. :cry:

You need to trust your instincts. What ever you decide though, I wish you all the best, and God's blessings upon you. :)

no help from the ex-

she cursed me for bringing her to Vegas- she hated it here.. i only came because i had a $75,000 a year gig. for all of us...so when we got divorced, she said she was going back east..

well, she bought a house in Vegas ! go figure... she must have met someone she'd rather stay here for than me...

at any rate.. no, she washed her hands and has her own dogs now... ain't life grand!!??

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Where are you playing tnb?

bassaddik is playing at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium. Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville are at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Brown is having commencement weekend and there is a Waterfire on Saturday as well.

Good luck at driving around downtown Providence and finding a parking place (or a restaurant or hotel that isn't overbooked.)

I saw Lou Reed at Memorial Auditorium when he was on tour for his New York CD. Rob Wasserman was playing bass. The show was very intimate and one of the most enjoyable I've ever been to. I liked the venue a great deal (but this was over 10 years ago!). Enjoy it, Adrian!

I saw lots of folks at the Providence Civic Center (a.k.a., the Dunkin Donuts Center :mad: ) -- like Metallica, Tom Petty, Ozzy Osbourne, and others. It was a reasonable arena for arena-type shows.

Also, regarding the canines -- maybe your vet has ideas about who might take your dogs. My vet has a few high school volunteers and employees, and sometimes they're willing to take care of a couple of pets in their own homes (w/ the vet's seal of approval).

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The roommate part is tough, Adrian. Especially if it's someone you've never met before. What a crapshoot.

However, since you have your head on together, you would come back with all the money, which would set you up nicely when you get back.

There's not much to spend it on on the ship if you don't drink and waste money on the occasional shore leave.

Whatever you decide, Adrian, trust in the Lord and follow your heart. You are a wonderful person and player and things will turn your way again.

i didn't know that Crapshoot was a word..oh well.

since i am not an advanced player, i won't give advice, becuase i am not experianced, but i can say this. living in a room with a room mate, is pretty much just like college. though i don't know if u went to college or not, it would be the same experiance...well...without the beer parties, and exams.

:wave:

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Jeremy and Sweets, I am playing "West Side Story" at Trinity Rep. I walk over between shows, looks like a beautiful day for a stroll.

Adrian, you never google your gigs to find out where you are playing?

i like the suspense of not knowning where the heck the gig is!!

just got back, Rhode Island is a charming state, from what i saw in about 24 hours ( or less )

it was an EXTREME pleasure meeting Tom ( tnb), who seems to have the gigging scene in Providence locked up!

sorry we couldn't hang after the gig, bro- when i got my wake up call at 4:30 i couln't believe it!

i was supposed to be on a flight with a 2 hour layovcer in San Fran, go figure, fly right past Vegas, go sit in SF and then come back to Vegas.. but we were lucky and got a direct flight...of course, i am dazed and need some good sleep- nightly night y'all!-- Adrian

by the way, i just called the band leader and reluctanly passed on the ship gig.. hope i don't regret it too bad...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Congrats Adrian...

I think you may have made a good decision. By the way I can't get over that Nelly bassline everytime I check out this thread I listen to it...so funky.

I would give anything to have a shot at a gig that pays 75 g's a year...that would be very hard for me to walk away from.

But I can see how you would want something new after doing it for a while. Good luck, brother, and groove on.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

to clarify, i did not walk away from a $75,000 a year gig, i did it for 17 months and then the show closed. That was probably the best gig i ever had...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

You did fine, Adrian....don't sweat it.

Over the course of years (decades?), we gain a sense of intuition. Your gut feeling of the leaders' ambiguity was point enough to pass on the option.

Take care of yourself and your needs at this time - everything else will follow!

Best to you,

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

yeah, somehow , i am not sweating it too much...

Raven, i got your pm a couple of days ago, i replied, maybe i didnt do it right? anyway, i thank you, I prayed a lot about it culminating in a serious prayer moment last night in Providence before i went to get my 3 hours sleep.. i asked for a sign, and though i still waited, maybe i got it and did not know, but on the way home from the airport today, i just picked up my cell and excused myself from the gig. In all fairness to the leader, i may have judged his vibe too soon, but still, something , maybe the Lord, made me pick up the phone and make the call... and so it is...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Adrian, it was my pleasure. You didn't miss much at the post gig hang. A bunch of punks fighting, must be something in the air around here this last weekend.

By the way, that's some mighty fine bass playin'!

Adrian,

I'm late to this thread - I was aware of the changes in your life, and having such a unique gig offered is difficult. For what it's worth (not much), I think you did the right thing. I know from my kids that going off to college is not always the "leaving home" thing that the movies portray. Your daughter is lucky to be living with family, but it's not the same as home. And nowadays students don't stay in one college for their whole career, and some take "breaks". As much as the money and "alone time" would have been great, you'd want to be there for your daughter.

As to keeping your house, see what happens. I'm betting you'll be fine.

Hang in there, and God Bless.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived