Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elvin Jones RIP

bc_dup1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a one hour recording of one of his live performances. I think Art Blakey is the only drummer that can give Elvin a run for his money in Jazz. Accomplished drummers. :thu::thu:

I first heard about his illness from Stanley Clarkes's forum last week.

Very sad! :(

There ought to be one heck of a jam session going on in heaven!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

this is a truly sad day for music.

I once sat in with Elvin at a clinic, years ago before I'd really listened to much of his playing. I was pretty dreadful, but Elvin played to make me sound good, delineated the form in really obvious ways when I got lots, and just grinned at me the whole time. A lesson I'll never forget.

Rest In Peace, Elvin, Heaven just got a lot noisier...

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

I must've seen him a half a dozen times or more. His greatness is without question. I met him once. A mutal friend, the late Frank Kofsky, took me to see him at a performance at Keystone Korner. So I sat backstage with him as he was cooling off from a great set. Very gracious, almost humbly so. This was in 1976. He even then, was thinking of retiring. He said he was worn out. He did stop playing or several years.

I loved this guy. One of the true giants of his instrument, on any instrument. Coltrane never sounded the same without him ad McCoy Tyner. RIP.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I never saw him perform but he is maybe my favorite drummer. So many of those old Coltrane recordings I can just focus in on his playing and be awestruck.

TShaka mentioned Art Blakey, I might see Elvin as a bridge between Art and Sonny Murray, but I'm no expert like that.

Often when a jazz great dies wkcr, Columbia U's radio station will do a retrospective of their career. Right now they're playing classical, but I'd expect the programming to be hi-jacked by Phil Schapp and Elvin Jones Radio to begin.

www.wkcr.org

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I expect Ed Love of Detroit's WDET to have a career introspective and possibly some old interviews. It'll be some great listening!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

A few years ago I had the pleasure of conversing one on one with him at the Monterey Jazz Festival. I was monitoring the broadcast agreement and my role was to have all the main stage artists fill out their form to receive payment. He was not only a great musician but a true gentleman.

Elvin, RIP!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived