Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst background parts of all time...

wager47: I don't like any of the VH backing vocals. Just my opinion. It sounds to me like they've got their balls in a vice while they're singing. Kind of a Jon Anderson thing going on there, and I'm not a huge fan of Anderson either. Like I said, just my opinion.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now the Van Halen backup vox are so charming, they're always in the So Cal faux beach boys major thing, ALWAYS! Whether the instruments are in minor, dimished, or whatever! NOT my favorite example of bitonality.... BEST falsetto harmonies while playing windmill guitar- Pete Townshend. another split personality! Hendrix's best background singers- the leslied choir on "the Burning of the Midnight Lamp!" Oh yes!!! :love: Tied with, the Ghetto Fighters et al on '"Long Hot Summer Night" from Electric Ladyland. The song is almost unimaginable with out those involved background vox. Next best, the Ghetto Fighters circa Dolly Dagger. The BV are perfect for singing about hip witchy ol' "Dolly- Heavy mama! Get on, get on get on..." Honorable mention for cryptic mystico-scientific speculation on Jimi's death in A Film About Jimi Hendrix At least these guys know the material and are halfway on the page category- the notorious Mitch & Noel on Axis. The presence of those vox date it as british bubblegum pop ala 1967- actually a kind of classic, but ... dated. WORST Hendrix backup vox- the post mortem never-met-the-guy team on the album "Crash Landing, (all but one tune) where all the original players but Hendrix are erased and session lackeys do competent overdubs of everything.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

How about the backing vox on the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil"? Hoo-hoo (repeat)! Makes me nervous to listen to it, but it's still funny after all these years, just trying to imagine them standing around a microphone doing that hoo-hoo sound for 4 full minutes (or whatever it is).

just gotta hate the background vocals on "Respect" by Aretha Hate 'em because they are soooo f-ing great![/sarcasm] Burton Cumings from the Guess Who, one of the best blue eyed soul singers ever.

I think Keith's harmonies on Honky Tonk Wimmen make the chorus there. That and the bass kicking in after laying out. I think Mick sounds a lot better with Keith, the wrong background singer, who might well sound better than Keith, on their own, could make Mick sound pretty bad.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Ain't got much of a memory to dig to far in the past but there's one on country radio right now, Young I think it's called and the backing vocals to me is like nails on a chalk board.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Speaking of country... I'm kind of a casual listener who'll flick over to the country station every once in a while. Sometimes on some of the new stuff you hear these background vocals that are almost 'too' perfect. Kinda like it was done with a harmonizer or something. That almost grates on me as much as 'flawed' vocals. bob

I like the stuff on "Stay" - love that whole album... I think backing vox is one of those areas that "bad" can be "good". Lots of Beatles examples (try Paperback Writer and Rain) - it's cheesy, but somehow it fits. I feel the same about the old Genesis stuff. The Who, Kinks, Stones, etc. have all had this. And listen to some old Queen - beautiful love song on "Opera" (sorry I can't recall the title) where you get this sweeping "oh yeah" - it fits musically, but... I guess I'm too forgiving. And just to round it out, I like the Guess Who as well. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Tom Capasso: [b]I like the stuff on "Stay" - love that whole album...<<<[/b][/quote]Hey, I like the album a lot too....don't get me wrong. I just feel like the particular song "Stay" has 100 Lisa Loebs singing little sentence fragments and unintelligible sounds in the background! :) To each their own, I guess! BTW, Tom, check your private messages...
None more black.

The song "I'm Your Captain", don't know the artist, has very out-of-tune harmonies ("I'm getting closer to my ho - ome"), ugh. And I've always thought the harmonies at the end of the chorus on Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" were off, but all of my musician friends disagree with me, must just be me. The Band was another one that didn't have the best background vocals either, not just intonation but phonetics straight out of the backwoods.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Okay, here's my picks -though there not all background parts- I hate them just the same! Guitar solo on "Doctor My Eye's" by Jackson Browne. I'm all for improvising, but if it sucks, do it over!!! Keyboard solo on "Do It Again" by Steely Dan. I'm willing to excuse the yucky sitar solo (even though a nice 335 would have sounded soooo much better), but that keyboard-thru-delay-thingy sounded like the morning after far too much Cuervo Gold, and Fine Columbian. The "baby, baby" BGvox on "Where Did Our Love Go", by the Supremes. How much more lack luster could they have been? I'm thinking either sleeping pills, or was it the 385th take??? These songs are all considered classics that will continue to be around for many years to come. That's why this should be a reminder to all of us that what you record may, one day, come back to haunt you for a VERY LONG TIME. So let's all try to act responsibly. :bor:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by iBotch: [b]The song "I'm Your Captain", don't know the artist, has very out-of-tune harmonies ("I'm getting closer to my ho - ome"), ugh[/b][/quote]That would be Grand Funk Railroad. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived