Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SansAmp Update

SteveC

Well, I had a gig this afternoon and a chance to try the SansAmp Bass Driver DI in a performance situation. It was a fun gig - a beer tasting outside under a tent. Guitar, bass an dtrombone playing standards. Unfortunately, it was windy and raining. We had to put our stuff up on crates and stand on some plastic shelving so we wouldn't have any "shocking" moments. The crowd was great and we had a fun time. Many compliments. The pay and free beer wasn't bad, either.

Anyway, I went with the SansAmp BDDI into my Stewart 1.2 power amp and into my Bergantino HT112. I was playing my Carvin fretless 6. I used the "Full Range Clean" setting on the SansAmp. I got a great growl and and just a touch of tube when I dug in hard on my solos. The tone was even and warm. I only used my fretless, so I didn't get a chance to try out any other settings, but if they are as nice as this, I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.

Thanks to all who suggested it to me. I may have a Grand Prix preamp for sale soon.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve -- that's awesome. congratulations! i thought about buying an RBI instead of the warwick. i guess their acoustic DI is really nice and they've put it into a rackmount and called it the RPM. a lot of folks really like that, too.

the BDDI is cheaper than the grand prix, no? more proof that it's all about the right gear, not the expensive gear.

robb.

Yeah, it's not always about the price. I still think that in many cases you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find great value for the dollar.

With the exception of my Carvin, all the gear I am currently using cost me no more than $500. Most of it was under $350! That's quite a change for me as a while back I had TWO $2,600 basses. The SansAmp is a great value at $170.

The older and more experienced I get, the less gear I want to haul around. The more I work on technique (thanks to reading and posting here) the more varied tones I can get from just my fingers and bass. But it is nice to have a preamp/DI that gives me a variety of tones from clean to SVT.

Yeah, it's not always about the price. I still think that in many cases you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find great value for the dollar.
The invisble hand (of the market) works, but it isn't perfect.

I had another great BDDI night last night. I've finaly got someone else playing at Church -- but he needed to use my rig. For those who don't rember BDDI -> Hi-Fi/audiophile power amp (home built) -> full range speaker (dodgy!). He said it was better than his brothers GK...another bassist wanted to swap the BDDI for some multi-effects and some cash (my band could use effects more than killer tone).

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Archived