Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC, Stewart, or ???

mrbeezroom

Does anyone out there have any opinions (not here, noooo)or preferences for a poweramp in the $600-$700 price range? I'm looking at the QSC PLX series or the Stewart WORLD series and it looks like I can afford either the PLX1202, PLX1602(maybe), WORLD 1.2, or the WORLD 1.6(maybe).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the Stewart World 2.1 with a Demeter Pre-amp and various cabinets. SWR Goliath Junior (drivers replaced with Eminence Delta-Lites), Mesa Boogie with Electro-Voice 15, and used it with an Epifani 4x10. I went from close to 80# for the Demeter with my previous power amp, now well under 40# in an SKB rack with the Stewart/Demeter. Clean and warm. You hear the sound of your bass. LOVE IT.

In the same boat here.

Got a new Acme B2 and a DemeterVTB-201 this week, and was thiiiss close to getting a mint PLX 1602 off the Bay. (Note to self: don't try to bid from work!)

The Stewart 1.6 and the 1602 are my targets, from power/reliability and weight points of view.

I've never really heard anything bad about them.

Probably come down to whatever opportunity comes up first...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

i'm going to beat sweets to it:

[disclaimer]i work for peavey, and by extension, crest[/disclaimer]

the peavey DPC1400X is rated for 1400W bridged into 4 Ohms and is 1U. they can be had for about $700 used. 14 lbs. and seriously destroys the stewart 1.2 in loudness and reliability.

i have GAS for a crest Pro 5200. it's out of your price range at $1100 MAP (minimum advertised price), but it's really sweet -- much more low end than a QSC PLX, 21 lbs. very articulate sound and very user-friendly. also beats all the amps discussed thus far in cosmetics.

i have also seen carver power amps used for cheap. there's an 800W bridged in 8 Ohms carver PM amp for $250 on harmony-central right now. 20-ish pounds and very powerful. i have had some GAS for those, too.

robb.

i have GAS for a crest Pro 5200. it's out of your price range at $1100 MAP (minimum advertised price), but it's really sweet -- much more low end than a QSC PLX, 21 lbs. very articulate sound and very user-friendly. also beats all the amps discussed thus far in cosmetics.
And more low end would be a good thing??? I thought 'flat' was what we were going for with poweramps. Any more 'enhanced' low end, and I'd have to start EQing my rig. As it is, I play with everything pretty much flat all the time...

And the 'cosmetics' comment surely requires explaining - do you just mean that you like the look of it, or are you mixing up cosmetics and ergonomics? If the design of it actually makes it more user-friendly, feel free to explain...

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

ask Bob Lee about power supply design and the ability to continuously source current to the load. he'll be able to cite amplifiers that do not have the current capability of the PLX, but that can be spec'd as having flat frequency response. good sound isn't solely contained in frequency response.

in other words, it's not boomy bass or bass boost, but more present, visceral, tight, controlled, dynamic, flat low end. if you ever get a chance try comparing a crown K2 to the PLX and you'll understand what i'm talking about.

as for cosmetics and ergonomics, it's pretty hard to get more ergonomic on a power amp. i personally prefer one with fewer features and no DIP switches. all you do is plug in and go. and cosmetics are purely ancillary to operation, but i really like the feel of the thick, anodized aluminum front fascia along with the superbright LEDs. the natural green (not bright kelly green) LEDs are a personal favorite. i was able to turn the lights off in the lab and project my shadow on the opposite wall 20 ft. away by standing between the amps and that wall. they're bright. but they don't make the amp sound better.

robb.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

robb., do you know if Crown has any lightweight power amps in the same power class that look promising?

i know that they do not.

the CE4000 is a nice amp, but it's expensive and is 3U. it's $1200 at musiciansfriend for 2400W bridged into 8 Ohms.

they also have the I-Tech series, which is beyond anything else on the market. it is most decidedly overkill for a bass rig. the smallest amp in the series is 4000W bridged into 8 Ohms. in 2U. they're small hairy beasts. the biggest amp, still 2U and 28 lbs., is 8000W bridged into 8 Ohms. i don't know how expensive they are, but i'm sure we can imagine. :eek:

i'm still in love with the K series. i think their next move will (or at least it should) be towards mid-level power (a la QSC PLX) with switching power supply and BCA output circuitry. i would buy one. but i am still in love with the Pro 200s. my big debate is how to acquire one.

robb.

I had a QSC PLX 1602 and currently have a Stewart 1.2 and I liked both. I went with the Stewart because I wanted a single space amp to go with my preamp for a 2 space rack.

The Peavey sounds like a great amp, but I didn't see any used ones when I was buying and they are quite pricy new.

I think you'd be happy with either one. The Stewart does get a bit warm in the 2 space rack with the preamp. I think a little breathing space would be nice. If I decide to go with the SansAmp for my preamp, I'll probably keep the Stewart in the 2 space by itself for some "breathing" room.

I've been very pleased with my Stewart 2.1 so far. I use it with a SWR IOD and an Epifani 3X10 and have never had to push it in the slightest....I always have more than I need for rehearsals and gigs. I don't have any experience with the lower-rated Stewarts, but I think you could expect the same type of performance and reliability. Killer power + low weight is a winning combo in my book! ;)

The Stewart 1.2 does have a heating/overheating problem because there's no internal cooling fan. All the higher models have fans.

There's three areas of heat concern on the 1.2. The left and right channels (outside, corresponding to the heatsink fins), and the power supply (bottom, heatsinked directly to the bottom plate). The power supply spot on the bottom is the worst. You can't touch it, and it evaporates water very fast.

According to most people, if you have it in a rack with fans, or have an external fan blowing across it, it's fine.

I keep mine upside down and have an external sweeping fan clamped to the cooling fins so it blows air across the 'hot spot' on the bottom and moves air across the left and right channel cooling holes. Have never had a problem with it shutting down after doing that (I was playing hard power trio rock at the time). Before using the fan, you just never knew when it would overheat and shut off, which sucks in the middle of a song.

If you don't mind catering to it's cooling needs, the 1.2 is a very good amp, and I won't be getting rid of mine. If it bothers you that you need to overcome it's poor design (no internal fan), then look for something else.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I have a Peavey DPC 1000(older model to the 1400) and a mackie 1400i. Both are great, the mackie has a little quieter noise floor and I've been using it for many years w/o a problem. The DPC1000 sounds great but has shut down on me one time (after a few hours of hard playing) but came back up in a few munites and finished the rest of the night fine. Both are great amps, uncolored, and have all the power I'll ever need.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived