Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

annoying "ping" sound from Muisc Man

Just a quick question. I recently got a Music Man Bass and I get an annoying metallic "ping" sound when I play, especially with overdrive or increased treble. It's not very loud but I can notice it in parts where I slap and stop quickly. Is this normal on MM basses or could it have something to do with the pick up height? Thanks. P.S. if i back off on the treble its not as noticible but its still there.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sean Eldon:

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you saying you're getting string buzzing?

No. It's hard to explain so it might not even make sense. If I'm using overdrive or the treble is boosted high and I'm playing a part that requires an aburpt stop you can hear a metallic sound kind of like when you flick your pick up with your finger nail, except I'm not hitting the pickup, it just kind of resonates. It's not too big of a deal I'm just wondering if anyone who has a MM has any tips to kind of deaden that sound but stilling having the treble high enough to cut through.

Closest thing I had with my EB/MM Sting 5 was when we recorded a live gig. I was using my thumb just above the pickup thru the entire song. When we heard the recording, at almost every note I thumbed there was a tick tick sound as I thumbed at each string. I don' think I was hitting the pup but maybe that was what I was heaing. Don't know if they sound guy did a bad job or if this is similar to what you are hearing. Kinda sounded like a muted cowbell or tin block. Sorta ruined out recording.

My main bass is a Stingray and yes they do have what I call a 'clicky' sound you have to deal with. Its not the strings hitting the frets or pickups, it just happens by plucking a note.

I turn the treble down slightly on the bass and cut the treble a bit on the amp. You just have to fiddle with the eq for awhile.

New strings click more than used. I use D'Addario's and after a couple weeks it settles down.

my band: Mission 5

I've got a couple of Stingray's, and it's just an inherent thing with the instrument and the electronics. You just need to get accustomed to the fact that the active treble controls are really powerful on the Stingray. Dial it back a little and you'll probably be fine.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Turn the treble down a bit.

I almost never use extreme settings with the onboard preamp when playing my Stingray. I boost the bass and midrange a bit, but never more than 20%.

I use overdrive frequently and have never experienced the "ping" that you've described. Try boosting the highs at the amp or distortion unit instead to get the high-end crunch you're looking for.

For most active basses, it's good practice to keep the bass's preamp FLAT at first. Set the tone from the amp's EQ, and if you use distortion, set that up as well. Then, if you need to add more to your tone later on, use the bass eq, but try doing so sparingly.

I've never had any "pings" from any of my active basses. I've had "clangs", especially when picking fingerstyle. Nothing like trying to sound like Geddy on a PJ bass, and coming up short. Oh well, at least I tried... :D

Archived