Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor

Hughes and Kettner

I picked up one of these babies yesterday from a guitar player friend for a mere $150. There are two channels of overdrive. One is just a little warm fuzzy tube goodness and the other can go to pure Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier annihilation. This thing just absolutely rules the universe as a bass overdrive. They are quite spendy but oh so worth it. If I can get some time this weekend, I'll record some little sound clips and post them.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can get some time this weekend, I'll record some little sound clips and post them.
I would enjoy that. I usually enjoy that sort of thing. Perhaps you could also use your Hamer? I think that would be fun. And I care that you have fun in your life. :P:D

Looks nifty from the website. How does it compare to the OD you get from your Mini Mo'?

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dub $$:

Looks nifty from the website. How does it compare to the OD you get from your Mini Mo'?

Completely different beast, which is why I bought it. The Mini Mo is really smooth and fuzzy for the most part. The H&K is pure Death. Really, really aggressive sound that's very 'edgy' for a lack of a better word. The 'nice warm tube goodness' is also a different sound than the Mini Mo, I haven't A/B'd that enough to really properly describe it yet.

I love them for guitar. I've never been a big fan of all out distortion on bass, but I can see how one of these bad boys could be very nice if the need arose. Although, I have a SansAmp pedal and an Ashdown Ox preamp and I'm finding that I love the overdrive tones from them. If I ever do a Motorhead cover band, then I'll grab one of these.

I've really been jonesin' to try a Fulltone BassDrive(but looks like I'll have to drive to Phoenix to do that) but I'll check out the H&K if I get the chance. I want to add a good dsitorto/fuzz box to my board but the ones I've tried so far (Boss, Digitech,Ibanez,Pro-co.)are either one trick ponies or just plain suck.

The quest continues......

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived