Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pod XT Users.......EQ question

SteveC

I have been trying to get different tones from my rig and have found that messing with the EQ gives me many options. The thing is I don't want to have to remember the different settings or have to change them manually all the time.

I thought about getting a programable EQ, but they cost about as much as a Pod XT.

How useful is the 6 band EQ on the Pod? Am I correct in that you can use a different EQ setting with each patch? Are you able to select the frequencies? Can they be different for each patch?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PODxt has an EQ that mimics the knobs on whatever amp model you have selected, and then it also has a 5-band graphic EQ that you can engage and tweak as well.

And yes, you can save the settings with each patch.

Ben,

Are you using yours live? I have been messing around with the EQ (suggestions from jeremy) and I like the different tones I am getting.

The thing is I'd like to be able to change from the "growly finger style funk" tone to a "smooth jazz Nathan East " type tone without having cheat sheets and redoing everything all the time.

That's why I was wondring about the EQ. It seems pretty good and "tweakable" from what I read in the manual. I kinda hate to get this when all I think I need is a programable EQ, but they aren't cheap. Of course, it would take care of my other concern of having a "too clean" rig. Just dial in the SVT and go.

So many things to consider........

I have a guitar PODxt and it allows you to save certain effects combinations so you can add them to any new patch you create without scrolling through menus to recall the exact effects and settings. I wonder, does the Bass PODxt allow you to do this with post-EQ (5 band) and compression settings? I'm considering getting a Bass PODxt soon.

The thing is I'd like to be able to change from the "growly finger style funk" tone to a "smooth jazz Nathan East " type tone without having cheat sheets and redoing everything all the time.
You would just save each tone as a different patch. The POD products have 16 banks of 4 patches (64 total) from the factory, but each patch can be overwritten as a user patch. You can change the amp model, EQ, effects, everything and save it wherever you want. If you want the factory settings back, you can get them online. You can also download settings created by other users. If you want to switch between two sounds (fingerstyle funk and Nathan East), you just turn the dial or buy a footswitch. You can save 64 such sounds, and dial up one more in its manual mode for 65 total.

The POD products were all designed to be used "direct" into a mixing board. Some people connect the POD's to power amps and cabinets for live use, but that wasn't what the POD's were designed for. Guitarists are lucky that Line 6 designed modeling amps like Spider, Flextone, Vetta, etc. for this use. There are modeling bass amps from Roland and Peavey, but nothing from Line 6.

My problem with the POD is that people think it is an effects box or a traditional pre-amp, so they try to force it into the wrong applications and they often get dissappointed. The real meat and potatoes of the POD is its amp and cab models. If you don't want those, you should probably look else where. Also, remember that you'll want a transparent amp and cab if you want to use those amp and cab models on stage. An Ampeg or SWR cab will not reproduce the models accurately.

A Bass PODxt connected to a SR-type power amp and a transparent cab like an Acme B2 or a Bag End would be a great rig for someone in a coverband or someone who wants several amp sounds in one night. If you just want to alternate between a SWR/Eden sound and an SVT tone, I would just buy a Tech 21 SansAmp to add to my favorite amp rig.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't need or want all the other stuff. I did find a Boss programmable EQ pedal that might be something. 9 presets and on the fly. It has sliders for real time use. Not sure about a graphic EQ. Isn't a semi-parametric more useful. You can really pick and define frequency and level.

Archived