Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

first gig review: bergantino HT-112.

i played a little outdoor gig on saturday with parts of my new cover band racecar. absent racecar's usual lineup was our drummer, but we had a replacement, and we also added another guitar for this gig. why? because we could.

i have enjoyed the cabinet very much, even though i have been using a GK 400RB. it's a pretty decent amp, but it just doesn't have as much power as i want. at the gig, though, there was a whiteface (first-gen) peavey firebass 700 head, which is rated at 275W at 8 Ohms. it was really loud. i didn't mess with the owner's settings, short of using the bright switch.

since we were outdoors, the power was pretty weak, and both guitarists were using peavey transformer 112 amps, which are digital modelling amps. so when i was playing, their amps were cutting in and out. so i turned down my bass' volume knob and we played the rest of the set without issue.

i was never further than 2 feet from the cabinet, which was on the floor and i never had any issues hearing myself. and my right ear was ringing from the hats and crash.

i love this cabinet more than any other piece of gear i've ever owned. it is the best money i've ever spent on bass gear and the best value i've ever gotten. if the warwick quadruplet i just bought is half as cool as the HT-112, i will have the most incredible rig ever. i will also have a 1-trip loud-out. that's one of my favorite parts.

robb.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to hear one of these cabs. How do they do it? Is there a more subtle version of the 80Hz Eden hump that cuts through? I suppose the posh tweeter and crossover should integrate very well with the 12" driver so the transients cut through and provide pitch definition as well as twang. Does the woofer move a lot when it's cranking or does it have a stiff surround which subtly compresses the lows when it's playing loud to give the same sort of effect as an Aphex Big Bottom?

Curious...

Alex

tnb,

See this thread: HERE.

The Bergantino is a great cabinet. I like it a lot.

That said, it does not go as low as my Acme. I don't get the same "thud" in the chest that I do with my pair of Low B2's.

I think the Acme is a better bargain and a slightly better cabinet.

Now, I wouldn't cry if I was force to live with a stack of Bergantino HT112s, mind you. :D

D'oooooh! I remember that thread. Sorry for asking the same question over and over again.

I didn't get the cabinet in March, turns out that I didn't need an amp at all for that gig, so why travel back home with more stuff than I needed on the gig. As fate would have it, I am not using an amp on my present gig either. It is starting to look like I just need to replace my Acme with another Acme.

Thanks for the review!

That Bergie 112 is at the top of my list of things to get....maybe 2 of 'em. :D I might even trade my HT210 for it, since I doubt I would need it anymore as my compact (but then not so compact) cab. I have the HT-322 for big stuff, which completely rocks. :love:

i think it does what it does by getting not much true low end. and that's fine by me, because i do not generally go for a super-thick tone. it is very warm and detailed, though, so it's not like it sounds similar to the average 210.

also, in talking with jim bergantino, he informed me that the HF driver costs him more than the 12" driver does. that probably has a lot to do with the sweet sound.

robb.

Ed F has said that TWO of these HT112 cabs ends up generating more lows. You can also buy the EX112, which is cheaper because it lacks the bullet horn (tweeter).

In my band, I need to do something more. Last time I put the cab up on other speakers so I could hear myself better. No trouble getting the low end out there to the audience even when I'm playing with 2 drummers, keys, and 2 guitars.

I think Jim installs some kind of Massachusetts Mojo in those boxes.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

the thing that really struck me in talking to him, though, was that he put so much focus on thinking outside of frequency response -- that phase relationships are important, as well as impedance interactions.

the primary focus of this project was to make the cabinet sound coherent. that has a lot to do with the crossover. it doesn't have much to do with the extremes of the audio frequency band.

that coherent sound is what allows the speaker to cut through a band so easily with so little power. of course, i've never been one to try to overpower everyone. but it's good to know i can if i want to.

robb.

Archived