Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two Basses?

BleedingBass

In the new band im forming we've got this idea to have two basses. i think this would be awsome but i really have no idea how to pull it off. i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or even been in a band with two basses or if u have any suggestions as to how to incorporate two basses into a alt/metal rock band. im learning to slap so i was thinking maybe i'd slap while the other bass played finger style. any suggestions/ examples?
Life sucks, and then you die. oh well, at least we have music.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once saw Little Richard at The Bottom Line in NYC. He had two bass players. They where both playing through Hartke / GK 800RB stacks.

They worker very well together..a great show.

There are a few guys on the board who play in a bass only band...

www.danielprine.com

Check out a couple of alternative bands. One is Cop Shoot Cop. The other is Ned's Atomic Dustbin. Both bands incorporated two bass players. Take a listen to how they did it, and it might help you figure out what you want to do.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Are you doing original material? Is this your first band? I think that if your a band with 2 basses it might be hard to sell to someone who is booking bands for gigs that your serious.

On the other hand if you've got the enthusiasm and drive, why not? other people have done it.

For metal I think one of those twelve string demons that bumpcity has would be great fun and it sounds like two basses. (and needs a plectrum ;) )

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Grant - Toupe and Clatteramy both play in bass only band (Grant in 2 basses, Amy in 1 bass) and they do a heluva good job.

Grant's band (I think, from the samples I heard) has one guy playing more of a melody, while the other one plays more of a normal rock band bass role.

It helps to cut certain frequencys on one bass and boost them on the other bass and vice versa.

In Skynyrd We Trust

A Pick? What's that?

It's called a BASS! Don't accociate me with one of those guitarists who have to use a piece of plastic to do all the work for them.

First off, use spell check.

Second, a pick is nomenclature for a plectrum.

Two basses in one band can be pulled off with the right talent. Of course, anything can be pulled off with the right talent.

PS - Guitar-hating is a sad, sad behavior which will type-cast you as a frustrated guitarist.

It could be done.

It isn't easy. It's very hard to hear multiple instruments in the low range, and it's really hard to figure out who is the timekeeper.

I'm in a band with fellow forum member Wally Malone that has three basses and a drummer.

We all have very specific things that we do to separate the parts.

There's no doubt that it can be done. There's no doubt that someone should be doing. And of course some are.

But wouldn't it be better to start with a concept of the kind of music you're after, & pick instruments for that, rather than the other way round? Maybe it wouldn't. But it seems to be something to think about.

Just in terms of the "physics of sound", it would probably be a problem to have two bass-players playing the same "low-end" grooves. In a band, the whole group can be thought of playing a single chord at any given time (bass on bottom, keys & vocals in middle, guitar on top). The note the bass plays controls the overall structure of the chord. Having two bass-players "fighting for the foundation" would require special action (playing in unison, or well thought-out written parts comes to mind).

What would probably be easier would be having one bass take the "low-road" (normal bass) and the other the "high-road" (high-notes & simple chords, piccolo-style).

I'd personally prefer a "synth" (keyboard) for the "high-road", though...

A Pick? What's that?

It's called a BASS! Don't accociate me with one of those guitarists who have to use a piece of plastic to do all the work for them.

I have to take exception to this statement as well. A pick or plectrum is just another device for achieving a different attack and timbre. Don't be so quick to write it off. Especially when there are some fantastic pick-wielding bassists like Carol Kaye, Jack Casady, Anthony Jackson, Joe Osborn and Steve Swallow.

Additionally, the two 2-bass bands I mentioned have bassists who use picks. It helps in discerning the two bass parts.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by PhilMan99:

In a band, the whole group can be thought of playing a single chord at any given time (bass on bottom, keys & vocals in middle, guitar on top). The note the bass plays controls the overall structure of the chord. Having two bass-players "fighting for the foundation" would require special action (playing in unison, or well thought-out written parts comes to mind).

Well, yes, in a "traditional" sort of band playing traditional sorts of popular music. But that leaves open the possibility for all sorts of "unconventional" bands. Yes, for example, is one such band; their approach to dividing up parts is more orchestral, & as a result it's hard to say that the bass in their music is carrying the foundation rather than the melody, say. They just don't play by those rules, & that makes their music special. It certainly makes it unusual. And the number of ways in which people can recast instruments' roles is limited only by what they can imagine & make work.

I wanted to try this one too but just getting a guitarist, bass player, and a drummer in the same room can be tough, getting them to work together even tougher (and 1 of them better sing).

I think "Da ladY" was right on..

EQing would be key to make it work.

What I wanted to do was have 1 "traditional" bass role, and one playing more of a rhythm guitar role, leaning more on the top and upper mid's with some well chosen effects. Maybe if I can ever find (AKA afford) a fender 6, and the personel, I could make it happen. What I have been doing is running 2 vastly diferent amp/effect setups with a chorus in between (pick and/or fingers at the right time).

Hey don't discount using a pick, whatever you can do to expand your sonic posibilities and inspiration, can be a plus. I started playing without anyone telling me do this or that, or what is wrong or right, and I'm all the better for it. If I would have listened to people that told me to turn the tone knob to 10 and leave it alone, I never would have found my sound.

WWLD?

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by Nicklab:

A Pick? What's that?

I have to take exception to this statement as well. A pick or plectrum is just another device for achieving a different attack and timbre. Don't be so quick to write it off. Especially when there are some fantastic pick-wielding bassists like Carol Kaye, Jack Casady, Anthony Jackson, Joe Osborn and Steve Swallow.

Additionally, the two 2-bass bands I mentioned have bassists who use picks. It helps in discerning the two bass parts.

sorry if the quote offended anyone. i wasnt trying to bad mouth guitarists or bass players who use picks. im actually referring to the situation where many people have called my bass a "guitar" and asked why i wasnt playing with a pick. the quote is the response i want to give but i calm myself and explain the difference between the two instruments. but because of the misunderstandings i am changing the quote as to not offend anybody.

oh, and thanks for the feedback guys, but do u know where i can here some of the examples u guys have given? i'd like to hear how others have done it so i can get a better picture if what my band needs to do. thanx.

No offense taken. Just realize that there are more bass playing techniques than fingerstyle and slapping.

Here are some sample of Cop Shoot Cop

Here's some of Ned\'s Atomic Dustbin

If you're looking for more of these two bands, just do a google.

Originally posted by Nicklab:

No offense taken. Just realize that there are more bass playing techniques than fingerstyle and slapping.

oh, i completely understand that. i respect and think it is awsome that people can play their own unique style. like i said it came out differently than i wanted it to sound (hopefully the new one is better).

Originally posted by BleedingBass:

im actually referring to the situation where many people have called my bass a "guitar" and asked why i wasnt playing with a pick. the quote is the response i want to give but i calm myself and explain the difference between the two instruments.

Yup, this definitely makes it sound like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding guitar players.

I'd worry less about what people call your bass (which happens to be a long scale guitar, I hate to break it to you) and worry more about what people think of your music. That's just my advice.

Archived