Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rig too clean - Sansamp or POD?

SteveC

I did a little searching but decided to post a new topic. Much of the old discussion is more related to recording than live playing.

As most of you know, I have an SWR Grand Prix preamp running to a Stewart World 1.2 power amp then into a Bergantino HT112.

While I like the "hi-fi" or "modern" sound that I get from this combination of gear, I find at times I wish I had more....something.....not distortion necessarily, but an "edge" maybe, you know what I mean?

I was thinking maybe a POD XT, but I had a POD Pro a while back and while it was nice I really don't need/want all the modeling and effects and stuff. I just want that "edge" sometimes, not all the time.

Thats where I thought maybe the SansAmp Driver. Get some tube-ness when I want and turn it off when I don't. What do you think? Anyone using one in this manner?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is that your situation is exactly the reason the bass player I work with bought one... just to get a little dirty through his otherwise clean rig. As he put it, his other band requested an SVT-type tone, but he wasn't about to buy a new rig.

Now I'll shut up and make room for the first-hand users.

- Matt W.

The SansAmp Bass Driver DI will add some grit to your tone. I like mine a great deal.

It offers more than just grit/dirt, so you might want to experiment also with just some overdrive, fuzz, or distortion pedals. Why not? (However, let's not forget that the DI option on the SABDDI is nice.)

Of course, if you really want to make paint peel and glass shatter via a sonic buzzsaw, you could try this (click me!). :eek::D

BTW, I can't believe you're considering more gear, Steve! What are you thinking? What happened to the deterrent that is engagement ring/house?! :D

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've tried distortion pedals, but I'm not really looking for "distortion" so to speak. I got rid of my EBS MultiDrive as it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I just want a touch of "nasty" now and again.

Any other suggestions than the Sansamp?

Originally posted by SteveC:

I've tried distortion pedals, but I'm not really looking for "distortion" so to speak. I got rid of my EBS MultiDrive as it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I just want a touch of "nasty" now and again.

I understand. I just love having different amp tones at my disposal, though, hence the BP200 and my distorto pedals. I'd use a POD too, but that's somewhat out of my budget. The BP200 works fine for me.

Good luck in your search. :)

I haven't tried one, but MXR makes the M80 d.i.+ -- that might be a similar approach. You could always try both.

Although the fellahs at Bass NW aren't all-knowing, all-powerful deities (yet ;) ), they told me that they prefer the SABDDI over the MXR M80.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by getz76:

It's moron proof...

This is a really important characteristic of any piece of gear that Maury is going to buy and use. :P:D
No need to point out the obvious.

But at least I don't have my significant other potentially playing gatekeeper with a new, custom bass; shouldn't you be working? :P

I recently purchased the Sansamp RBI as my preamp. It differs a little from the Bass Driver DI, cause it has a dedicated mid control. The adjustability of the sound is great. The blend control is really tube like, with lots of compression, and overdrive distortion is really easy to get with the drive control turned up.

There is a huge range of tones available with minimual knob tweaking, so I still have a lot of discovery to go through.

There is one thing I haven't figured out how I will use yet. I'm using the XLR output to connect to the amp, because the 1/4 inch output doesn't seem to be enough output to drive the amp fully. I'm turning that level almost full. Seems odd to me. The XLR output has a switchable setting, 0 db (which i'm using), and -20 db. The -20 setting is the same level as the 1/4 inch output. So what will I do when we play a club and the house sound gets the XLR?

Although I've only played once with the band so far, and it did sound good, I have been having a lot of fun in the living room with it. I mounted it in it's own small case, so I could loan it to a few friends. Hopefully that will happen soon, so I can get feedback from other people.

Originally posted by forceman:

I see where you mentioned you would rather not have a pedal, but have you tried the Fulltone Bassdrive (www.fulltone.com)?

(BTW: I also have an SWR Grand Prix and occasionaly like the "edge" a little blended Bassdrive offers.)

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I've noticed that the BassDrive can do everything from very subtle thickening right through to near fuzz. It's very quiet, beautifully built and can provide a ton of clean boost if you want to get a different thick dirty sound by overdriving the valve in the GP. I haven't tried a Sansamp though - has anyone used both?

Alex

yee olde tube screamer from ibanez worked pretty good for me until i got my nightbass by art. i have also heard good things about the rust ride put out by hao. it is being ditributed by godlyke. it has overdrive to fuzz with a three way e.q. toggle. a friend got one but i have not heard it yet!!!

Get The BDDI. You will be a happy camper. I use the POD for guitar at home. Though it's pretty cool direct for recording, it's lacking something otherwise. You say you are looking for not distortion but a bit of dirt/grind. Then of course don't get the GT-2. But the BDDI.

I get a good Squire/Lee sound out of it. You can also run a dry out along with a post pedal out. If that's a benefit to you. It's got a good tube simulation on it. You can set the dirt light and it will of course only peak it's head in if you nail your strings nice and hard. Or you can turn it up and go for some full time grit. It's also saved my ass in the studio many times as a secondary Pre. LET US KNOW!

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Originally posted by SteveC:

Any other suggestions than the Sansamp?

The Sansamp is an industry standard, and you can't go wrong with it, but back on the pedals...

I bought a Arion Bass Distortion pedal ($19.99!).

It has a knob for the amount of direct sound, a frequency knob that controls the frequency range effected, a knob that controls the amount of distorted sound, and finally a knob for the amount of distortion.

It's kind of like a two channel mixer, where I have a clean channel, and a distorted channel (which I can vary the level of distortion) that I can mix for my final sound.

I mostly use it for as a signal boost when soloing (not much distortion, but it does a great Acoustic 360 Fuzz imitation), but we do have a couple of songs I'll use it for a little extra crunch.

For $20 it's a great little box.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I have never used the BDDI but I have a SansAmp TRI-AC that I really like. If you don't need the DI of the BDDI you might consider the TRI-AC. What I like about it is it has three programable channels so you could have three different tones at the tap of button at your disposal without messing with any knobs. Also, I think they are pretty inexpensive. I've seen them at Musicians Friend for $149 and less on eBay.

For just wanting that little bit of nasty on the attack the Bass Driver or RBI is in a class by itself in my opinion. Although I haven't tried the MXR. I use my Bass Driver for sessions and it great. You aren't at all limited to just distorted sounds,either. It serves up a pretty good,juicy clean tone too.The blend knob really makes it great,too.You can change drastically or just a touch and everything in between. It is one of the most useful gadgets I ever bought. I don't think you'll be sorry.

No,I don't work for Tech 21.

I had pretty much the same porblem with my GK rig. However, I couldn't be happier with my Tube Works Blue Tube

It's fairy inexpensive but it did exactly what I wanted it to. Nice grit, not distortion. I just leave it on the entire time I play. Now, my setup sounds too thin without it.

These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

Steve, you need to buy 6 or 8 high-end preamps and chain them together, taking care to flip the emphasis on each one as you go through the chain (preamp A turn down lows, preamp B turn down high end, etc.). At the end of the chain, get a mixer and blend in a microphone set up next to your kitchen blender.

OK seriously, I used that box at a home-studio and liked it very much. And the instructions have sample settings to help you get a sound you are familiar with (which is how Getz76 adapted to it so quickly - Willie is still turning the box around in his hand to figure out which knob is which in the picture).

I can't say I know exactly what you are looking for, but I bought an Ibanez PH7 for $19.99. It has a three position switch Normal/OD/Dist which I often set at Normal. Then there is an Attack switch, which gives me a bit more bite (along with the Gain and EQ on the pedal). It's pretty subtle. Probably not as flexible as the SansAmp, but it has been OK. CMDN was using one for a while as well.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

...Willie is still turning the box around in his hand to figure out which knob is which in the picture...

Ouch! :eek::wave:

What happened to the "kinder, gentler" Tom the Moderator? :confused:

Is the Madball persona taking over? :eek:

Where's that graemlin w/ the upraised center digit when you need one? :mad::P

:D

spreadluv

4-6 years? You're selling me short. :mad: I've been a graduate student a lot longer than that! :eek::cry:

BTW, I'll have a draft of another chapter in the bag by the end of this afternoon. Word. :thu: (Actually a whole lotta words!)

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Although you mihgt have read his comments on BBDI I would recommend searching for what MAx Valentino has said about it. I have purchased one last month and it even improved the sound of my little practice amp. However what Max said about it is important I think. I understand that you won't use it recording so a little noise wont be a real problem. But I think you should try it extensively as it appeared to colour the sound a bit even when it is not active. I must admit that I did'nt have the chance the XLR output yet. if you're gonna buy one try some alternatives and compare.

Above being said I still recommend BDDI. I like what it brought to my sound. I feel really better when playing with it.

oops my signature dropped

I used my BDDI direct into a PA last night for an open-mic jobber.

Sounded fantastic. Bass->BDDI->PA.

I've used the BDDI to record demos and scratch tracks. It sounds great and is quiet. I have never had any problems with noise with these beasts.

It does not sound as good as my Demeter preamp, but if it did, I'd probably cry considering what I paid for the Demeter.

However, if I HAD to record with the BDDI, I wouldn't be that worried. It just plain sounds good.

Of course, my bass is VERY quiet in the studio (Warwick Thumb 5). I tend to record in passive-mode.

I'm sure if I had a bass more prone to noise, the either preamp would magnify the problem.

Archived