Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Willis

Re Che

Hello all,

Im sure you guys know Gary Willis. I've been wanting to get more into his kind of soloing. For anyone who learned stuff bout Gary and his playing, does the 3 finger technique have to be used to play his stuff or would i be able to get by his stuff using the traditional 2 finger technique? Also could you guys recomend other bassists who specialize in the fusion department and also recomend some essential Gary Willis/Tribal Tech recordings and also recomend some of his instructional material.Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary has one video out which is very good. He goes into his 3 finger technique extensively. I own 2 really good books by him. One is for Ear Training, and the other is Bass Fingerboard Harmony. Gary has a web site. www.garywillis.com He's got some things posted there. I believe the man even offers on line one on one video lessons.

I ran into Gary at Boston Market here in L.A. a few years back and approached him, and he was very cool and even offered me to sit down and shoot the breeze with him. Man do I kick myself. I was just stoping to pick up food cause I was dead sick and I had just left work.

Though I don't think he sounds like Gary... I wonder if anyone else in here listens to Jonas Hellborg, because I never see him mentioned. He's done all those albums with Jeff Sipe on drums and Sean Lane on guitar. Most of them are live jams. He's also played with Mahavishnu. Another fusion guy I like quite a bit.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I went to his web. In the Lessons section-palm muting, did you listen to his bass & drum line from the title track of my "No Sweat" CD? Its a 6/8 and man, it twists my mind. Try to clap at the 1st beat without looking at the notation.. I bet you'd take some time to do that.

I met Gary at Gerald Veasley's Bass Boot Camp 2 years ago. Nice guy. Awesome player. He let me try to play his signature bass and the way it is setup, I could barely play it.

He has very specific ideas about his approach to the instrument, the setup, his technique, etc.

You can't argue with his results.

Archived