Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't you just love playing the Bass Guitar?

TShakazBlackRoots

I don't know about you, but there are times when I'm playing along some CD's but can't get some parts. It makes me so mad, I feel like tossing the bass out the window. :mad:

When that happens, I now pull out my Keyboard and programme some Electric Piano, Guitar and Drum parts. I then pull the bass out and play to to my own 'concoctions'. I enjoy it! :cry:

As for last year, you wouldn't believe it if I told you how many we lost as a family.

I pull out my bass and write, and write and write some more. I got so many songs now, I don't know what to do with them.

Without my bass, you wouldn't have known me coz I probably wouldn't be alive, seriously.

It's not just an instrument to me anymore, it's alot more than that.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about this hard part of your life right now.

Playing bass can be a religious experience; I'm not sure you can say that about other instruments.

The bass supplies harmonic, rhythmic and melodic motion to a song, and, if in tune with God, can impart tunes with a reverence.

I know I try to make my bass in tune with God's as often as possible!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Sorry for the hard times. I really am. Unfortunately, no matter who you are, life is full of loss.

But back to the bass...

I had played violin for 5 years, guitar for 2 or 3, but one day I was moved by a bass player (John Doe), so much so, that I Needed to play bass.

I still do.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Yeah, sorry about all the losses. That really stinks.

About bass, I'm not quite as emotional as everyone else is with the bass, to tell you the truth. Probably because I just haven't been through thick and thin with it yet. I'm sure in a few years I'll look back on my bass as a cheap (or expensive, if you look at it that way) psychologist.

Right now, it's just a hobby that I'm taking day by day.

In Skynyrd We Trust

It's good to take it as a hobby coz then, one is not so hard on oneself. ;)

However, music in general has always been like life itself to me. A channel in which to express all my emotions, all the time.

I just love music. :love:

The fact that I can create and arrange lots of songs, play bass and other instruments just makes it so fulfilling.

Definately more than a hobby. :thu:

hey, sorry to hear about the hard times.

I completely agree with you and your observation of this most beautiful instrument. I also play guitar, but when I record something, I can't wait to play the bass part on it because that is where I feel I can most fully express what I am feeling. I even end up playing guitar like a bass player. On good days I can't wait to get off work to get home and play bass for hours. On bad days I know that an hour of bass will lift my spirits. Bass just works in every situation. Keep on keepin' on. And thank you for all the interesting threads you have started.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

my GOD

my FAMILY

my BASS...

if i didn't have those , I would have no sanity.. nothing.

Sorry to hear the bad news... no words that I can say...I pray for strrngh for you.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Leading one of my church's worship teams has really helped me spiritually and emotionally. Whether it's playing bass, singing, playing drums, or a combination -- it's always an uplifting experience. Can't imagine not having that part of my life! Thank God for music and for the ability to create it, play it, and enjoy it.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I am a Rastafarian who comes from one of the most Spiritual families/parents in our country, as in Pentecostal xtians (an irony). :D

My folks are prominent in our country and I've been brought up in various church groups. So when people meet me and see these long dreads, they freak out!! :P

Anyway, spirituality is important to one's life. The bass is part of that equation as talent comes from Jah. :thu:

Sorry to hear about loss like that.

I think as people we make the decision to carry on (once some grief is expressed) or not. Having the ability to do something beautiful helps people carry on.

Dave - I play a duet (me on recorder, a girl on flute) that is mostly 3rds on a song called "Now We Remain". It's 4 verses, but I could play hundreds because it touches me so.

Of course I'm usually feelin' it with a bass in hand...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived