Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chordal Scales vs Regular scales

prblack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're more picking-up on the distinction between a "chordal" approach to playing, vs. emphasis on scales. Old-timers seem to emphasize a chordal approach (root/3rd/5th and passing/transitional tones), whereas many newer players seem to adopt a more scale/mode oriented approach. The approaches are really complimentary, though. The chordal approach is more important with music where the bass is mostly "filling-in" the sound. If the music relies on a clever/complex bass-line, scales become more important.

When playing, it usually best for the bass to stick mostly to chordal tones, although a good knowledge of scales/modes is probably required to understand how it all fits together. Jeremyc has posted a lot on this in the past, as have others.

Because bass plays the lowest notes, basic physics and the way the ear/brain hear chords means that the bass has to stick mostly to chordal tones. If the bass gets too fancy (anything too far beyond 1/3/5), the overall band's chord can sound "wrong", unless the bass is essentially playing the melody (nifty bass-line).

Sadly, I started with a more scale-oriented approach, and it took quite a while before I understood the importance of the chordal aspects...

Hey Will-Bass, shouldn't that tag line be the LOVE of money is the root of all evil...

:)

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by prblack:

philman99

How did you start out learning the chordl scales?

I'll echo the statement that Carol Kaye's site is good for that approach.

In my case, I learned about music theory perhaps 25 years ago. Chords are basic to that. I simply applied it to bass. The term "chord scales" is not something I hear, but there's "pentatonic" scales (sounds Chinese) that's quite similar. Anyway, spend a little time learning about chord structure. Search google for some sites on music theory basics. Chord construction (and modes) are basic.

There's a *LOT* to knowing what to play over various chord-changes, but learning the basics implied above (root, 3rd, 5th, etc.) would be a great first step. The most basic bass-line in existance is root/5th for each chord (think old-time country or blue-grass).

Originally posted by RobT:

Hey Will-Bass, shouldn't that tag line be the LOVE of money is the root of all evil...

:)

Send $20 and I'll let you know.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

The term "chord scale" is often applied to the approach of harmonizing a given scale with other notes from the scale.

An example: take a major scale and to each note in the scale, stack a pair of fourths. Starting with C, that gives you C-F-B. (Whether a given fourth is perfect or augmented depends on the base scale you're using -- you simply follow the scale spelling slavishly.) Continue and you end up with a very useful set of fourth voicings that work beautifully over Dorian-mode (D minor in this case) or dominant (G7 in this case) vamps that you can move around like you would a scale.

Originally posted by AlChuck:

The term "chord scale" is often applied to the approach of harmonizing a given scale with other notes from the scale.

An example: take a major scale and to each note in the scale, stack a pair of fourths. Starting with C, that gives you C-F-B. (Whether a given fourth is perfect or augmented depends on the base scale you're using -- you simply follow the scale spelling slavishly.) Continue and you end up with a very useful set of fourth voicings that work beautifully over Dorian-mode (D minor in this case) or dominant (G7 in this case) vamps that you can move around like you would a scale.

Never heard that one before, but sounds *interesting*. Any other "buzz-words" (key words) related to this "concept" I could search for in Google? Based on what I see here, it looks functionally equivalent to an approach of using "modes" (ionian, dorian, etc.) as appropriate for the current chord.

Archived