Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RBX765A Excessive String Clacking

Tenstrum

I just got an RBX765A and it plays great! My only problem is that I'm getting a lot of really excessive clacking whenever I play (yes, I'm a finger stylist and a Steve Harris freak!!!!). I anchor off of the neck pickup and I play pretty hard, but even playing lighter still produces the excessive clacking and its not my style. I've tried lowering the pickup, but it really won't go any further down. Anyone got any advice on how to prevent all the noise? Any kind of "pickup cover" or something? I really need to cut the noise down.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truss rod adjustment would be my guess at a fix. Sounds like you need a touch more relief in the neck.

I play the same style as you (fingerstyle with my thumb anchored on the neck pickup), I have very heavy guage strings and low action. I get the same effect as you if I play too hard, but you can fine tune things very precisely with a little bit of truss rod adjustment, I find.

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

I've tried lowering the pickup, but it really won't go any further down.

Try taking the pickup right out - it may be that there's more foam/rubber/bigger springs under it than you need. Remove the excess padding and you should be able to lower the pickup further.

If that doesn't work you could try heavier gauge (i.e. higher tension) strings (how about the Steve Harris set?), getting pickup covers without holes for the polepieces and sticking the existing pickups in them (only possible if you can separate the electronics and plastic cover on your existing pickups) or getting new pickups with hidden polepieces.

Or just change you technique - concentrate on plucking parallel to the body rather than down onto it.

Alex

That's a great idea pulling the pick ups out. Never thought to check for extra stuff underneath the pickups.

I'm too old and stuck in my ways to change my playing style. Besides, I like beating the hell out of my bass when playing! (and I wonder why my other basses need adjustments so often... :D )

Thanks, I'll try that tonight! :thu:

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

What about raising your action at the bridge a bit? That will lift the strings more at the pickups than on the neck...

When you remove the PUPs, keep whatever is underneath. When you set your PUPs lower, you may lose more gain than you expected and want to go back....

Good Luck

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I can't believe I didn't see this first! I own one. :)

Anyway, I'd go with raising the action. You may have to tweak the neck's truss rod, too. Take it to a tech if you can't do it yourself, but it isn't too hard to learn how to do a simple set-up.

I actually haven't done any changes to mine yet, but when I put on the set of D'Addario's I bought for it a week ago, the action will definitely be tweaked. Otherwise, I'd just like to give you the mad props for getting this bass! You'll love it.

What's the color on yours, anyway? Mine's translucent green. When I posted some web cam pics of mine a while back in some forum, some folks thought I was John Myung of Dream Theater. :D:D

I like the action where its at. If anything, I'd put a shimmy underneath the neck where it bolts on to raise the higher frets just a tad. I like the action really low. Almost buzzing.

Out of curisosity Taz, how much space do you have between the neck and the B string at the 24th fret (milimeters)?

Mines Translucent Green as well. Tonight is my first jam session with it. This is the first 5 String that I've felt comfortable enough with to substitute for one of my 4 strings. I got a great deal on it. $250 brand new! :thu::D

Tenstrum

I took the neck pickup out and squished :D the foam that was under it and was able to get my pickup quite a bit lower. Only problem now is that the string are now hitting the neck at the higher frets! Any advice on tweaking and keeping my action low?

Tenstrum

I think you're running into a problem I had a while back. I had really low action, played toward the body, and kept the truss rod really straight. You can't have it all. That's going to get you some clacking. I worked on using a lighter touch and raised my strings a little--problem went away.

You can have low action or you can play hard, but in my opinion you can't really have both.

I like the action where its at. If anything, I'd put a shimmy underneath the neck where it bolts on to raise the higher frets just a tad. I like the action really low. Almost buzzing.

Out of curisosity Taz, how much space do you have between the neck and the B string at the 24th fret (milimeters)?

Mines Translucent Green as well. Tonight is my first jam session with it. This is the first 5 String that I've felt comfortable enough with to substitute for one of my 4 strings. I got a great deal on it. $250 brand new! :thu::D

I can't say I actually measure my action. I know, I should get some gauge feelers.

In any case, the way I have my typical action set up, if I bend a string, say around the 9th fret, it's low enough that my fingers won't get under any open, unfretted strings. There's still a tiny amount of buzz when picked hard, and it's still low enough for some tapping and hammer-ons if I want them, but enough clearance for slapping and popping. I have a bit of neck relief as well. No shims for me.

If you have a heavy right hand...

raise the action at the bridge and adjust the truss-rod to provide some relief.

You can't have:

1. a heavy attack

2. super low-action

3. zero fret buzz.

One of those 3 have to go. If No. 1 is non-negotiable and No. 3 is unacceptable, that leaves No. 2.

You could also take the bass to a tech. Throwing $50 bucks worth of set-up into a bargain bass can make a WORLD of difference.

When I posted some web cam pics of mine a while back in some forum, some folks thought I was John Myung of Dream Theater
Your not?!!? Darn! here I was sure that you were one of those "Famous people posting under an alias" that we had a thread about a while back. :(

:D:D:D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

When I posted some web cam pics of mine a while back in some forum, some folks thought I was John Myung of Dream Theater
Your not?!!? Darn! here I was sure that you were one of those "Famous people posting under an alias" that we had a thread about a while back. :(

:D:D:D

I'd tell you to go do a search at the Harmony Central forums. You won't be able to see the pics, as the site I hosted them on had its directories changed, by yours truly.

You can see it on "My Stuff", though, if you need a fix. :)

I've been attempting to liten' up on my playing style the past three days.... Man, I'm so used to having to beat the hell out of my basses...

But the good thing is I don't have to do that on this Yamaha. I find myself actually loosening my grip on the neck quite a bit. But its going to take time to break 15 years of bad habits.

:cool:

Tenstrum

I've been attempting to liten' up on my playing style the past three days

The easiest way to learn to lighten your touch is to crank up your amp. That way, if you keep banging away at your usual volume it'll sound awful, you'll drown everyone out and deafen yourself.

Also, try rotating your hand around the axis of the strings so your knuckles move downwards and your fingers pluck the strings so they move parallel to the frets. You'll be able to pluck much harder without buzzing than if you pluck more towards the body of the bass.

Alex

Archived